Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 22 Jan 2008, 22:45 (Ref:2111599)   #1
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
TFHarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Volunteering problems - HELP!!!!

Well here I was going through my calendar thinking great I can apply online for all the events I would like to try and attend and because they are all listed on the known events sheet I am bound to be able to find a volunteering form for these events fill in my availability and sit back and wait for acceptance letters ?

Sounds simple but low and behold its much harder than it seems

I managed to get some of the events ok but I found that dates were not correct and some events were missing from the forms. I added comments asking for confirmation so no major problem.

Now OK i realise some events are on different forms so i searched through most of them looking for all the events but still to no avail besides the obvious ones.

cannot find anything to do with Bikes mainly British super-bikes and world super-bikes at Donington park (24-25 May) Cadwell park (23-25 Aug) and Donington (5-7 Sep) are these types of event invite only ?

also Donington again for BMCRC (22-23 Mar)

cant find donnington park mini festival (4-6 aug)

finally I wanted to try a rally event so was looking for Mallory park on 20-21 Jun for Rally of the Midlands but don't know where to find this either.

Am I missing something major here? This is my first year trying to do this I only did one event last year as i joined in Oct

Is this supposed to be hard to do or am I doing something totally wrong and should I actually be contacting each circuit asking to volunteer.

I am totally confused now and this is even scarier knowing that they said us marshals were a dying breed at the training day so wanted to try and start off with a full calendar in case being only a trainee I was not accepted to some of the events due to my inexperience.

HELP!!!!! is this normal please someone, anyone give me a few pointers
Old 22 Jan 2008, 22:50 (Ref:2111603)   #2
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFHarv
....cant find donnington park mini festival (4-6 aug).... HELP!!!!! is this normal please someone, anyone give me a few pointers
For this meeting try the back form

http://www.barc.net/marshals/marshal...ply_online.php

The dates are the 2nd and 3rd of August
Old 22 Jan 2008, 22:54 (Ref:2111606)   #3
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
thanks for that one the event list shows this as 3 days 4-6th and im easily confused with all the forms - third barc one I have had to do now ><
Old 22 Jan 2008, 23:04 (Ref:2111612)   #4
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

cannot find anything to do with Bikes mainly British super-bikes and world super-bikes at Donington park (24-25 May) Cadwell park (23-25 Aug) and Donington (5-7 Sep) are these types of event invite only ?

Check out the RaceSafe site for those. Bike marshals have a totally different way of going about volunteering I believe.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 23:18 (Ref:2111620)   #5
greenbean
Racer

New Zealand
brierley hill west mids
greenbean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you can find most forms on julians very good web site at www.marshals.co.uk
Old 22 Jan 2008, 23:18 (Ref:2111621)   #6
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Check out the RaceSafe site for those. Bike marshals have a totally different way of going about volunteering I believe.
or get in touch with the circuit as the staff should have a list of contacts for marshals for all events.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 23:21 (Ref:2111624)   #7
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Thanks for this one too, have sent an e-mail to the deputy chief marshal asking if I am eligable for bike events
Old 22 Jan 2008, 23:23 (Ref:2111627)   #8
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbean
you can find most forms on julians very good web site at www.marshals.co.uk
I used www.marshals.org.uk forgot to check the .co.uk one ><
Old 22 Jan 2008, 23:26 (Ref:2111629)   #9
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
.co.uk is the BMMC website. .org.uk is Julians site.

Unfortunately if you are marshalling for different clubs at at different circuits you have to fill in a million different forms.

That reminds me I must do some volunteering.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 00:06 (Ref:2111653)   #10
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

for bsb and wsb you need to contact racesafe who arrange marshals for those.

for bemsee aka bmcrc you need www.bmcrc.net and contact the chief marshal.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 08:55 (Ref:2111795)   #11
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am i correct in thinking you have to do a racesafe training day to be eligable to do BSB and WSB events ?
Old 23 Jan 2008, 10:48 (Ref:2111862)   #12
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by devon kev
Am i correct in thinking you have to do a racesafe training day to be eligable to do BSB and WSB events ?

they would prefer that, it gets you used to their ways before hand, but exemptions can be made,
Old 23 Jan 2008, 12:41 (Ref:2111915)   #13
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For rally of the Midlands at Mallory Park if you send a PM to myself or Fay we will pass on your details.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 13:08 (Ref:2111947)   #14
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have finished doing the Mallory Park availability form for car meetings, so if anyone wants one then please PM me.

This is only to be used for meetings where you have not volunteered direct to the organising club.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 13:14 (Ref:2111953)   #15
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
I sent an e-mail to the deputy chief marshal asking if it was possible to take part in events this year as I had missed there training days so hopefully I can get on board for at least one of the meets on my wish list.

And thanks Alan I will try and send you an email after work to try and organise my rally application.

I never envisaged having to do so much work to try and find the right forms for all the events >< I was expecting to be able to do them all from a circuit application. Guess i had been on too much of the good stuff to expect it all to be so simple

Thanks for all the info everyone I'm getting to grips with stuff now that the replies are coming fast

I am sure this must be a bit of a barrier for other new marshals that don't have friends or family as marshals already as I thought I had it all sorted till i started and then i just kinda dropped my jaw and felt a bit lost

Thanks again and any more help will still be appreciated
Old 23 Jan 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2112113)   #16
gwar
Racer

gwar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by devon kev
Yes devon kev, your correct, all training dates are on the RACESAFE website and joining instructions.......However when BSB uses a circuit, thay also use there marshals......ie; if your in BARC you can volunteer thru them and do the round at thruxton.
(Which is what we did years ago, just to see if we liked bike meetings, then did the training days with racesafe when you can do them all.......
The WSBK and MOTO GP, they prefer a bit of expierence on the BSB rounds,and you will only be excepted if your expeirenced enough)
Old 23 Jan 2008, 17:27 (Ref:2112118)   #17
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss
they would prefer that, it gets you used to their ways before hand, but exemptions can be made,

also you have to gain accreditation from club meetings aswell for either Flag or Incident.

http://www.racesafe.org/

Have a nose on their site,might give you a few more direct answers
Old 23 Jan 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2112190)   #18
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The racesafe website also says that they are not accepting any further new marshals for 2008.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 19:49 (Ref:2112192)   #19
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
The racesafe website also says that they are not accepting any further new marshals for 2008.

sometimes they also do a mid season training day,but you have to be on the ball with that one to get your name on the list.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2112625)   #20
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel
sometimes they also do a mid season training day,but you have to be on the ball with that one to get your name on the list.
...but if they aren't accepting you as a new marshal you're not likely to be able to get on the list for a training day!
Old 24 Jan 2008, 16:23 (Ref:2112705)   #21
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
...but if they aren't accepting you as a new marshal you're not likely to be able to get on the list for a training day!
They`re not taking any more names at the moment,
same as last year as i was going to apply to join racesafe.
Mid season i received an e mail asking if i still wanted to join & they gave me a date for the mid season training.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 17:37 (Ref:2112755)   #22
gwar
Racer

Racesafe have had a massive interest of new marshalls wishing to join....nice problem, i suppose.

If you would like a day at grassroots level bike racing (feeder series to BSB)
Try www.ngroadracing.org they are always looking for marshals,
Gachjoel can vouch for this club, fantastic racing usually one day, fed watered, races are normally around gloucester; ie thruxton, pembrey,oulton
Old 24 Jan 2008, 19:10 (Ref:2112807)   #23
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar
Racesafe have had a massive interest of new marshalls wishing to join....nice problem, i suppose.

If you would like a day at grassroots level bike racing (feeder series to BSB)
Try www.ngroadracing.org they are always looking for marshals,
Gachjoel can vouch for this club, fantastic racing usually one day, fed watered, races are normally around gloucester; ie thruxton, pembrey,oulton
For NGRRC i`m a Sector Marshal (Obs),
never had a problem with them,their a good club to marshal for & have seen some very good racing & the odd fall or 2.
At pembrey we`re even watered in the night after food,but Pembrey is a 2 day meeting and well worth the trip down there for the weekend.
you can get a local B & B or camp it about 80 yards from the bar....
Old 24 Jan 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2112878)   #24
gwar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel
For NGRRC i`m a Sector Marshal (Obs),
never had a problem with them,their a good club to marshal for & have seen some very good racing & the odd fall or 2.
At pembrey we`re even watered in the night after food,but Pembrey is a 2 day meeting and well worth the trip down there for the weekend.
you can get a local B & B or camp it about 80 yards from the bar....
Yes gary, you will have to suffer us 2 this year at pembrey., having not been there for a few years, we,ve managed to get a place to store the caravan before so we dont pay the mortgage to get across the severn....doh.
Doing NGRRC twice at pembrey.............80 yds from the bar.......that can be a long way............i believe you were not that far at thruxton......hic
Old 24 Jan 2008, 21:30 (Ref:2112883)   #25
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
...nice to know it's just as hard to start marshalling as it is to start competing...