Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Feb 2008, 16:00 (Ref:2126600)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
A Portuguese GP ?

Or what basically amounts to another Spanish GP.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65084
Old 11 Feb 2008, 16:13 (Ref:2126607)   #2
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would it not make more sense to improve facilities at Estoril to meet F1 standards, rather than start a new circuit from scratch? A1GP seemed to cope with Estoril alright, and it's quite a challenging track.

As a side-note, I can't belive that it's been twelve years since F1 last visited Portugal... where does the time go??!
Old 11 Feb 2008, 16:23 (Ref:2126613)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie
Would it not make more sense to improve facilities at Estoril to meet F1 standards, rather than start a new circuit from scratch?
That would make perfect sense, but since when was anything in F1 done the sensible and/or cost-effective way?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 11 Feb 2008, 16:36 (Ref:2126622)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
What "safety problems" were there at Estoril?

A track layout of the new circuit would be nice to have a look at if anyone finds one.

Thanks.
Old 11 Feb 2008, 18:09 (Ref:2126668)   #5
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A new race in Europe. Bernie will never stand for that!
Old 11 Feb 2008, 18:15 (Ref:2126670)   #6
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bulldog
A new race in Europe. Bernie will never stand for that!
What, like the second GP in Spain this year?

Estoril is great but the run-offs and fan facilities are not good enough these days. I think it's up for redevelopment in a few years anyway, IIRC.

The new track should be great, and will be great for Portoguese motorsport.
Old 11 Feb 2008, 18:18 (Ref:2126672)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nearest I've seen to a track layout is this on pitpass... http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=33890
Old 11 Feb 2008, 18:22 (Ref:2126675)   #8
RICHARD.T
Racer

RICHARD.T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another track will be good for European racing as the more tracks the better. They say it is being built to regenerate the area but I suspect it is being funded with E U money. ie our taxes. The main road down there was funded by the E U. I would prefer to have lower Taxes.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 15:32 (Ref:2127259)   #9
matt4
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
matt4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Improve the european tracks rather then add a new one. Bernie always moans about silverstone, spa and magny cours not being up to scratch.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 16:51 (Ref:2127294)   #10
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would I be right in saying that Tilke will not be designing this track, as they are wanting F1 to go there, not Bernie wanting a new track?
Old 12 Feb 2008, 17:26 (Ref:2127313)   #11
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is going to use all these tracks on the Iberian peninsula, apart from testing, in at least 15 years, when Fernando Alonso has quit F1? Are Valencia and Barcelona going to share the GP then?

And regarding European Union "sponsorship" for racetracks ... which series do currently race at Adria near Venice?
Old 12 Feb 2008, 17:37 (Ref:2127316)   #12
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't get this. Northern Europe has only two Grands Prix but they want to cut both of them, and at one point was down to one.

And they are giving THREE races to a population area less than the size of the UK, which has one which is under threat. How many F1 teams are based in Spain or Portugal, exactly? It's not as if any of the Spanish tracks (OK, I'll reserve comment on the Valencia street circuit until I've seen it) are any good.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 23:56 (Ref:2127573)   #13
ICR
Rookie

ICR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Or what basically amounts to another Spanish GP.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65084
How would it amount to another spanish gp? does the belgium gp amount to a french gp too?

and the portimao circuit seems to be something interesting after what I´ve seen and heard lately.

and P.S: portuguese are much better well educated, there would be no racist insults...
Old 13 Feb 2008, 12:04 (Ref:2127846)   #14
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say scrap Barcelona and have Valecia as the spanish GP and this new one as the Portuguese GP, I have always hated that track, and they have made it worse with these horrible chicanes and sharpened corners, keep it for testing tho.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 13:12 (Ref:2127890)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Williams look pacey, though we dont know what fuel levels or programs they are running...
Old 13 Feb 2008, 13:50 (Ref:2127912)   #16
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick
?

And regarding European Union "sponsorship" for racetracks ... which series do currently race at Adria near Venice?
FIA GT does. In the past a DTM race was held there aswell, and last years FIA ETCC. I'm sure some Italian races are organised over there as well. Having said that, the circuit sucks, and is without a doubt no comparison to the 4,7km track they are going to build in Portugal.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 14:21 (Ref:2127936)   #17
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
What "safety problems" were there at Estoril?

A track layout of the new circuit would be nice to have a look at if anyone finds one.

Thanks.
http://autosport.clix.pt/gen.pl?mode...tories&op=view
http://www.averdade.com/?mCAT=4&aID=1410
Old 13 Feb 2008, 15:54 (Ref:2127992)   #18
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it just me or is it rather similar to the Circuit de Catalunya?
Old 13 Feb 2008, 16:44 (Ref:2128032)   #19
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
It doesn't really look much different from Estoril, either...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 13 Feb 2008, 18:16 (Ref:2128110)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
That will be one gorgeously understeery last corner, unless its heavily banked.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 18:47 (Ref:2128131)   #21
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Some high Camber would be nice there, would let the cars run closely onto the straight.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 19:00 (Ref:2128142)   #22
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And yes a cross between Estoril and Barca,

It looks like a typical modern F1 track...one overtaking place at T1, oh and without a chicane that is going to be a very fast pit entry.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 13 Feb 2008 at 19:03.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 19:18 (Ref:2128160)   #23
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't like it very much. It may be a nice extra track for Portugese motorsport, but it doesn't add anything to F1.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 20:37 (Ref:2128203)   #24
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's going to be another of these crappy tracks like Farcelona, with no character or any real quality. The only newer track with something like character is Bahrain (not counting the two new urban warfare venues).
Old 13 Feb 2008, 20:43 (Ref:2128207)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bahrain? Surely you mean Turkey?