Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 4 Mar 2008, 10:09 (Ref:2143993)   #1
martin.braun
Rookie

martin.braun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA Racer 1959 Ford Fairlane/Galaxie

Dear Racers,

i am a german (sorry for my bad english) hobby historic racedriver with a 1959 ford fairlane/galaxie 2door 352 cui, builded up as a nascar vehicle but following the rules of FIA appendix K, to run at european historic races.

The problem: To get a Historic Technical Passport, FIA is asking now for a proof of a participation of that type of car at an INTERnational race, for ex. Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Australia, Canada.
But until now I only found participations in american nascar races of the years 1959, 1960 and 1961. But those races are officially declared as national races, not international. Even the Daytona 500 of Feb, 22 of 1959 is said to have the status just as a national races with some international drivers (Chile, Canada). In FIAs eyes, this is not enough.

So, here is my desperate request:
If anybody know something of a race-participation of a 1959 fullsize-ford at an INTERnational races, please give me a hint. Also welcome are references to lists of race participations except the USA.

Thank you so much
Martin
Old 4 Mar 2008, 11:27 (Ref:2144043)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is yours the one that blew away GT40's at Spa 6 Hour a couple of years ago?
Old 4 Mar 2008, 15:57 (Ref:2144225)   #3
martin.braun
Rookie

You are kidding me, aren't you, Simon?
No, that wasn't my Galaxie. I heared about a 63 Galaxie 427 7-litre Fastback that ran in Spa faster then some GT40s.
But please: My car is a bulky 1680-kilogramm-sedan with very small drum-brakes at the four corners and a three-at-the-tree manual shift. Driving is fun but lap times aren't better than those of a 1000cc-DKW - more speed at straight lines, but poor brakes und cornering.

Thanks for reading
Martin
Old 4 Mar 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2144228)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
have you tried speaking to the owners club? I meant the Fairline a couple of years ago driven by the Flinstones!
Old 4 Mar 2008, 16:46 (Ref:2144264)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin.braun
You are kidding me, aren't you, Simon?
No, that wasn't my Galaxie. I heared about a 63 Galaxie 427 7-litre Fastback that ran in Spa faster then some GT40s.
that's awesome!

I thought they would have raced in Rallies but Ford used the Anglia for '59.
http://www.anglia-models.co.uk/race-1959.htm

i also thought they would have raced in the Carrea PanAmerica, but that race stopped in 1954. the early 60s models definetly competed in international races, but unfortunatly, i can't find anything anywhere of the 1959 Galaxy in international competition thru the early 60s. that doesn't mean someone, somewhere drove ONE in an international race.

GOOD LUCK! sorry i could not help, but was interesting searching none the less.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 17:53 (Ref:2144317)   #6
martin.braun
Rookie

Thanks a lot for your search, gentlemen.

Yes, a friend of mine asked owners clubs, but they are more collectors and aren't that interested in the (not successful!) racinghistory of those chromy-bias-belted-cruiser of 1959. So, no results from there.

The 64 Fairlane of "Fred & Barnie" (btw a midsize car, not a fullsize-Ford like the 59) is in germany said to be the reason for the nowadays rigid issuing of HTPassports for not-homologated cars by the german DMSB... But I dont know whether this is true or not...

I fear, without the international racing-references of the 1959 Ford, my only chance is the grace (correct word?) of the FIA. That is bitter for me, cause I did ask two FIA-Insiders BEFORE I imported und build up the car. And the guys said in 2005: HTP will be no problem, this car will be a GTP3. But I knew und know this statements were without obligation. Things changed after the first Flintstones-Runs...

I plan to be at Spa with the car at April 4. (the whole day FHR-Testdrives for FIA-Historic Racers). Some FIA-Members are said to be there. I hope I can there convince of the harmlessness of my car...

Thank you gentlemen
Martin
Old 5 Mar 2008, 00:33 (Ref:2144568)   #7
Hagis
Rookie

Hagis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

There were two Fairlanes in the Swedish Rally to the Midnight Sun 1958. That´s the closest I can come to.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 09:58 (Ref:2144782)   #8
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The earliest Ford Galaxy entered (a 7 litre) I can find is at Silverstone 8th July 1961 in the British Saloon Car Championship (now BTCC) but I am not sure if it raced though. I’m sure some friendly person on here with Autosport or Motoring News can look it up tell us some details on it.

There were also a few Galaxies in the 1963 European Touring Car Championship and of course many in the British Saloon Car Championship of 1963 but I think that’s too late you isn’t it?
Old 5 Mar 2008, 10:03 (Ref:2144786)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

the pace of the Flinstones Fairline was ridiculous - to blow off a GT40 down the straights was always going to ask questions! Havig said that they did drive it well....
On a similar vain I was surprised by the pace of the Shelby Mustang last year
Old 5 Mar 2008, 10:26 (Ref:2144805)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Simon you can get an awful lot of power out of that old side oiler big block Ford V8 especially if the car was fitted with a decent braking system, I see no surprise that it can out pull a small block 4.7 litre GT40 as they were not particularly tuned that highly in period. I actually drove Paul Hawkins Le Mans entry for a few yards when the mechanic had it off the trailer in the yard, it was a long path along side the workshops and you had to drive it down on to the garage forecourt and swing into the shop. I was theatened with death if I took it out on to the Fortis Green Road but I was sorely tempted as I had a nice little circuit aroung the back streets I used to test the Imps on :-). The GT40 was a pussy cat, it would sit there ticking over like a road car. I think Martins car sounds far less of a threat especially with drum brakes in fact I think he would need to be an extremely brave man!

BTW Martin welcome to the site you fellow V8 man, they don't like us V8 men much on here (only kidding guys I know you all love us really!)
Old 6 Mar 2008, 16:25 (Ref:2145744)   #11
martin.braun
Rookie

Oh thank you, two Fairlane at a 1958 Swedish Rally, that was completely new for me. But the organizer of those scandinavian rallies that those days did not declare their event as INTERnational race for the FIA calendar, as far as I know, but just as a national race with international participiants. And that is not enough in the eyes of the FIA guys. Same problem like the 1959 Daytona 500 start of the 1959 Galaxie/Fairlane - just a national race with with international participiants.

And a 1961 Galaxie in the British Saloon Car Championship (thank you Gregor) is not helpful cause the 1961 Ford is already a completely different car with new body, bigger engine (390 cui) and new front suspension. Also the 1960 Galaxie is already a completely different vehicle vis-a-vis the 1959 model. That is the problem: Ford produced it just one year in that configuration cause it wasn't successful, both at races and at sales.

But again thank you Sirs for thinking. And sorry for bad english.
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
59galaxieKurve.jpg  
Old 6 Mar 2008, 16:50 (Ref:2145771)   #12
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martin - Have you tried looking through old copies of Autosport and Motor Sport from the late 1950s? It will probably be a bit tedious but I'm sure worth it if you can find the odd result.

Good luck.
Old 6 Mar 2008, 22:34 (Ref:2145994)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I would think the Flintstones Fairlane would be a "perfect "candidate for Goodwood this year !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Mar 2008, 08:56 (Ref:2146208)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
fantastic, a period correct V8, you deserve an HTP just for having drum brakes all round!

that photo looks like your coming down Eu Rouge
Old 7 Mar 2008, 09:52 (Ref:2146227)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah,the grass is'nt worn out on the outside of the rumble strip.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 17:04 (Ref:2146415)   #16
martin.braun
Rookie

British Motorsport magazines - do you really think that someone somewhere in GB had raced a 1959 US-Cruiser? I cannot believe that, but...
I did search on thousends of sides of old us car magazines, yes, but british? I grant, I was thinking of Australia rather that England...

Eau Rouge in Spa? No, that is the Double-S of the Salzburgring in Austria, last august. At April 4 the Ford will run first time at Spa. First time with its brandnew do-it-yourself 9,5-litre-oil-pan in order to reduce the oil temperature (oil cooler is not allowed for a period correct 1959 Ford Galaxie but pan is free)

Greetings from the cold edge of the alps
Martin
Old 7 Mar 2008, 17:25 (Ref:2146425)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Martin a large sump will not help with oil temperatures, I am sure if you look into it you will see I am right. If its deeper and if it has a deeper pickup it has advantages if you run it about an inch below the dipstick normal level as it keeps the oil away from the crankshaft and reduces windage, you also get less chance of oil starvation through high speed bends but you need a properly baffled sump not neccessarily a deep one as fitted by the guy who built my engine (against my instructions) causing it to let go big time. I am rebuilding it myself at the moment. But as for keeping it cooler once the oil has reached the engine temp it will stay there however much you are pumping through it even if you had a 50 gallon sump, may take a lap more to get it up to the temprature but get there it will, this is why its not advised to take a temp reading in the sump but aft of the oil cooler. Paint the sump and the engine black will help a bit.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 17:56 (Ref:2146442)   #18
martin.braun
Rookie

Sure Al, I know this. So I build a baffled (dictionary! never heared this word) pan to enlarge the surface, similar to those of Canton company, USA. The pan looks ridiculous now. Like a little plaine under the engine.
And the quantity will give me a few more laps at hot summer days. Last summer I got problems at a day with over 30° Celsius. Oil temp got slowly higher lap by lap at a hilly track with two very long straights (correct word?), the Salzburgring in Austria. The oil quantity will give me the missing 2 or 3 laps at the end of a high temperature 30-minutes-sprintrace. That is my theory. I will not run long-distance-races with that car.

Martin
Old 7 Mar 2008, 19:41 (Ref:2146490)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
The best thing is to fit as big an alloy water radiator you can (are radiators free?) as a cold running engine and hot oil is the way to power and the colder running block will also take heat away from the oil. I guess you should gain a bit of cooling from a Canton type winged sump as the surface area is far greater so must help.
Old 7 Mar 2008, 22:43 (Ref:2146600)   #20
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Espescialy if it's in an air stream. Martin,are you related to Micheal,he used to run a Sunbeam Tiger.?
Old 8 Mar 2008, 00:45 (Ref:2146642)   #21
Hagis
Rookie

FIA Racer Ford Fairlane/Galaxie 1959

Martin,
I am quite postitve that the Swedish Rally to the Midnight Sun was international as beeing a leg of the FIA European Rally championship.
My personal opinion is that a car that was included in FIAs lists, and thus then allowed for international rallying or racing, should be allowed anyway.
I don´t think that radiators are free, but if you could have made a "thicker" one and using the original mounts that would be OK.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 09:28 (Ref:2148118)   #22
martin.braun
Rookie

Terence, an orange colored sunbeam tiger? At some events in germany there was a driver with such a tiger, but I dont know his name, sorry.

Hagis, thank you so much. I hunt the weekend for informations about the 1958 sweden Rally.
I seems you are right!
The Swedish Rally To The Midnight Sun (today: Uddeholm Swedish Rally) seemed even in 1958 to be part of the former FIA European Rally Championship (today: World Rally Championship WRC). The 1958 rally winner was Gunnar Andersson on a Volvo PV444. And he also was the later 1958 champion.

But, Hagis, I did not find any informations about the two Ford Fairlanes, the names of the drivers, co-drivers, startnumbers, results a.s.o.
Can you please give me a hint where perhaps I can find these detail informations? How do you know about those 1958 Ford starts? Lucky chance? Giant knowledge?

Meanwhile I will start today an official inquiry at the FIA whether this 1958 Sweden Rally was an International FIA event or not.

Thank you all gentlemen for your interest.
Martin
Old 16 Mar 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2153430)   #23
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Martin, I do not think you will have much luck with Australian races, while there was some saloon racing prior to the instigation of the Australian Touring Car Championship (initially a single-race championship), it was quite low profile as serious racers until then very much looked down on it and raced open wheelers or sports cars. The first Galaxie I am aware of racing in Australia was the Len Lukey car which was a 63 model (also the Sir Gawaine Baillie car was raced out here). The 59 Fairlane was more likely to be a tow car!

Good luck with your quest though.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 08:50 (Ref:2154461)   #24
martin.braun
Rookie

Thank you very much, John, for your (just a moment... dictionary...) appraisal (correct word?) from Australia. Very helpful. So I can stop my search concerning Australia.

So I have to look to Sweden. German FIA representative DMSB has not answered yet concerning the FIA status of the 1958 Sweden Rally. I have to wait.

Hagis, any references concerning the swedish Guys and their 1958 Ford?

Martin
Old 18 Mar 2008, 10:06 (Ref:2155450)   #25
Hagis
Rookie

Just returned from England last night.

The two Fairlanes in the Swedish Rally 1958 were

Class Standard over 1600 cc:

6th Martin Carstedt/Gulli Carstedt
7th Bo Sandström/Stig Franzén
Winner in the class was Thure Jansson in an Alfa Romeo 1900. Thure won the rally in 1957 in a Volvo PV 444. 2nd in 58 was John Kvarnström in a Ford Edsel!