Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jun 2001, 21:19 (Ref:104517)   #1
economy_waffle
Racer

economy_waffle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM the greatest driver

i think that JPM is the greatest driver on the f1 grid. for one, he is the only driver with the balls to say things - which has come as quite a shock...

he is at least honest

he doesnt have the fear of arrogant drivers like TGF and MH, which causes problems but also proves wot a racer he is.

remember brazil.

in that one race, he was in the lead until jos verstappen smashed into him, not for the first time (brazil 94'). also he won the indy 500 last year!!!

c'mon give him a break as for the race he did finish in, he was brilliant
Old 12 Jun 2001, 21:58 (Ref:104529)   #2
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well EW, I think you're going to get a lot of not-so-nice-Posts for what you said here..., but, I have faith on this guy too.
Old 12 Jun 2001, 22:41 (Ref:104543)   #3
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
jpm is very good.

he is not as good as his team mate.

he is not as good as tgf or dc.

he speaks up...but at the wrong times.

he needs to become an adult.

the politics of f1 seem to have thrown him off his game.

i still say..he will be great

and i think he will win this year.

at ims
Old 12 Jun 2001, 23:08 (Ref:104548)   #4
Sonatrap
Racer

Sonatrap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he was the nasty ******* that passengers on the latest bandwagon would have us believe, imagine how he would have reacted to Verstappen?

As it was he took it in his stride without making the least big deal out of it.

He´s suffered several technical failures,injected some exciting moments into the season and commited some basic errors which he´s been candid about.He stood up to Shumacher´s pomposity and at present is receiving a lot of heat about incidents which are reported using 'reportedly's' and 'allegedly's' in such venerable journals as the Sun.

A mixed bag certainly, but by no means a boring or insignificant one.

Many great characters in the sport have had to tough out low moments on their way up.Take Sir Frank for instance. Long before his knighthood, his paddock nickname was apparently ´****er Frank´ which was thought to be fitting given his business record at that point in time.Well Sir Frank has certainly put all that behind him thanks to talent and hardwork.Can you imagine if his trajectory or that of many other key figures had been stunted based on one or two rash moments at the outset of their careers being relentlessly 'spun'.

Montoya deserves a break. The season is far from over yet so let´s all just sit back and watch the drama unfold free of all this superfluous 'holier than thou' judgement and speculation.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 00:58 (Ref:104566)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Strange...dint we already have numerous posts and threads discussing this same topic for the past few weeks?

But as i said, JPM so far had failed to lived up to expectations, and that his attitude had been offending thus far. Yes, some can argue it to be honest (something lacking in F1), but there is a thin line that seperates the two. Furthermore, he had really spoken louder than his acts (with few achievements in F1), and so, he is really not THAT great is he (not when compared to Kimi, despite JPM being far more experienced in racing.

However, having said that, all this is based on his performance so far. I do not deny the fact that he has all the potential and ability to improve in leaps and bounds and succeed in the future...but for now, get his acts together.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 01:00 (Ref:104568)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Strange...dint we already have numerous posts and threads discussing this same topic for the past few weeks?

But as i said, JPM so far had failed to lived up to expectations, and that his attitude had been offending thus far. Yes, some can argue it to be honest (something lacking in F1), but there is a thin line that seperates the two. Furthermore, he had really spoken louder than his acts (with few achievements in F1), and so, he is really not THAT great is he (not when compared to Kimi, despite JPM being far more experienced in racing.

However, having said that, all this is based on his performance so far. I do not deny the fact that he has all the potential and ability to improve in leaps and bounds and succeed in the future...but for now, get his acts together.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 01:11 (Ref:104570)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Re: JPM the greatest driver

Quote:
Originally posted by economy_waffle
i think that JPM is the greatest driver on the f1 grid. for one, he is the only driver with the balls to say things - which has come as quite a shock...

he is at least honest

he doesnt have the fear of arrogant drivers like TGF and MH, which causes problems but also proves wot a racer he is.

This is one of the dumbest threads I have ever seen in this forum.
Shooting off one's mouth doesn't make anyone a capable driver, let alone a good racer. If anything, it entitles a person a ride in an ambulance to the hospital. There is nothing honest about accusing someone else of killing anyone - just stand in a street corner and try that - but make sure you have your mouth guard on.
And I don't believe that you are even suggesting that Mika Hakkiinen is arrogant - that is just silly.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 04:23 (Ref:104615)   #8
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amen to that Valve Bounce. It seems Juan is a case where if you think he's hit rock bottom, he'll take a shovel and start digging deeper... I thought Monaco had taught him something.

Old 13 Jun 2001, 06:07 (Ref:104629)   #9
Kalevi
Rookie

Finland
Kalevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

One overtaking doesn't make a great driver when he makes a dozen stupid mistakes after that. In addition: with his behaviour he does not make many friends in the paddock.

Personally I think Juan is about to make his way back to where he came from.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 06:40 (Ref:104641)   #10
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: JPM the greatest driver

Quote:

he doesnt have the fear of arrogant drivers like TGF and MH
remember brazil.
No way is Mika arrogant. Neither is TGF. He just appears that way because he's German. Both of them are, I am sure, very nice people.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 15:14 (Ref:104792)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kalevi
One overtaking doesn't make a great driver when he makes a dozen stupid mistakes after that. In addition: with his behaviour he does not make many friends in the paddock.

Personally I think Juan is about to make his way back to where he came from.
Can you name those "dozen mistakes", I can think of just one, Monaco, which he addmitted was a mistake.

The fact is love him or hate him Montoya has brought some thrill and excitement back to a sport that in recent years has been a little dull. We now have a guy that wants to show the world what he is capable of and won't settle for second place. Yes the guy has made a mistake or two both on and off track but he has displayed speed and a genuine racers edge. If you ask me Montoya has been the breath of fresh air that F1 needed.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 15:25 (Ref:104795)   #12
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kalevi
One overtaking doesn't make a great driver when he makes a dozen stupid mistakes after that.
Sounds interesting..., can you give us more detail about that "dozen" ?..., please.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 15:26 (Ref:104796)   #13
Artwinter
Rookie

Artwinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM

JPM needs a couple of years of learning before he thinks that he is better than michale Mika David and a few others. Races are won with skill and experience not with a drivers mouth. Jenson Button showed me more than JPM and he is only a kid. CART and Indy racing leagues are only places for washed up F1 drivers to go when there career is over.

Gwen
Old 13 Jun 2001, 15:29 (Ref:104797)   #14
Artwinter
Rookie

JPM

JPM needs a couple of years of learning before he thinks that he is better than michale Mikka David and a few others. Races are won with skill and experience not with a drivers mouth. Jenson Button showed me more than JPM and he is only a kid. CART and Indy racing leagues are only places for washed up F1 drivers to go when there career is over.

Gwen
Old 13 Jun 2001, 15:36 (Ref:104798)   #15
Artwinter
Rookie

The 10 minute rule

Sorry about the double post I can't get use to the 10 minute rule.

Gwen
Old 13 Jun 2001, 17:36 (Ref:104822)   #16
economy_waffle
Racer

well, no amount of nastieness is gonna stop making me not think that JPM is a great racer and a funny guy. i think yes, sometimes he isnt tactful enuff but, i must say i admire his confidence in and out of the cockpit...i take back wot i sed about mika as he isnt that arrogant, but i remain very firm that TGF is because its only natural once you hav won 3 titles...senna was, prost was so - u just have to look at his driving and comments - why shouldnt he be arrogant he has a good car, has shedloads of money, has a great family...life is peachy for him.

i also remind people that JPM had a suspension faliure at montreal (if u didnt know already)
Old 13 Jun 2001, 17:48 (Ref:104829)   #17
Rimrider
Racer

Rimrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there are a lot more 'Tommy Tankers' on the F1 grid than JPM.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 18:00 (Ref:104838)   #18
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
i also remind people that JPM had a suspension faliure at montreal (if u didnt know already)
so jpm claims...or did he miss his line and just...whamo.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 18:20 (Ref:104847)   #19
bghaw
Rookie

bghaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not to take away from JPM's talent as a racer, but where did you read that he had a suspension failure at montreal? In either case, i think JPM is a very good grand prix driver with as much talent as he does balls. Everything good about him has already been posted. But i must agree that in addition to being more tactful, he must also calm himself and re-evaluate his strategy for race weekend; even his father says so. I'm sure after he finishes some races, he'll be well on his way to something great in F1.

BTW - Mika of all people, is NOT arrogant. HE IS THE MAN!!!! TGF is a *******.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 19:00 (Ref:104854)   #20
economy_waffle
Racer

well thats wot williams sed...so im not too sure, but he did seem to skid a little so im not sure
Old 13 Jun 2001, 19:48 (Ref:104866)   #21
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
If reports from the Canadian GP drivers' briefing are correct, then I cannot think well enough of Montoya to support him, whether he is talented or not. I can admit a driver's talent but I could not support a driver who is immature enough to accuse someone else of being a murderer.

Sure, JPM is good. But he is not as good as Ralf, TGF, Hakkinen, DC or a few others. Perhaps this isn't fair to him, but he hasn't been as good as the hype suggested. I seem to recall reading comments before the start of the season that stated something along the lines of "Montoya is the only man who will match Michael Schumacher". Are those people still saying that after he has failed to finish 7 out of 8 races, and caused his own retirement in 2, possibly 3, of them?

And no matter how good he is, there is no escaping the serious attitude problem he has brought with him.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 19:59 (Ref:104875)   #22
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
How many races has Hakkinen finished this year? Does this automatically make him a bad driver?
Old 13 Jun 2001, 20:02 (Ref:104876)   #23
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I haven't noticed too many self-inflicted retirements for Hakkinen...

And Hakkinen has won two world titles to prove he's a good driver - what has JPM got to show? I know it's not really comparable because Mika has been around so much longer, but Mika has proof that he is good. People cannot state that JPM is the best driver on the F1 grid when there's nothing there to prove it.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 20:34 (Ref:104889)   #24
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having met the @hole, I could never support him. His scuffle with Jacques just proved what I have always known about him, and what the rest of the world is just beginning to.

As far as his driving goes, he just needs to relax, take a break, and he'll be a good driver. Maybe not a great, but a good driver.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 21:21 (Ref:104906)   #25
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
I haven't noticed too many self-inflicted retirements for Hakkinen...

And Hakkinen has won two world titles to prove he's a good driver - what has JPM got to show? I know it's not really comparable because Mika has been around so much longer, but Mika has proof that he is good. People cannot state that JPM is the best driver on the F1 grid when there's nothing there to prove it.
I have noticed one self infliceted retirement for Montoya and didn't Mika stall in Austria?

As for the two world titles it sounds as though you will only be impressed with Montoya if he wins 2 WDC within the first 8 races of his F1 career. How can this be done? It took Mika 7 years to get his first WDC and until the last race of his 6th season to get his first win, there is no way Montoya will take this long. There is also no way you can compare two drivers based on results when you consider that one has been in F1 for almost a decade and the other is not yet half way through his first season.

Tags
jpm