Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 13 Aug 2008, 20:28 (Ref:2268686)   #1
Sideswipe
Rookie

Sideswipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Choosing a single seater series - Where to go?

Hi,

First I'd like to apologise, I'm sure there are hundreds of threads similar to this!

OK, I'm thinking of moving up from karts to single seaters in the next couple of years and was wondering where the best place to go is?

We're looking at something like Formula Palmer Audi or Formula Ford.

Just wondering what you guys think is the best Junior Formulae is? Please consider season costs, exposure, general atmosphere, spectators, competitiveness, what it supports and anything else you can think of!

I guess I'm probably opening a whole can of worms but please help guys!
Old 13 Aug 2008, 20:32 (Ref:2268689)   #2
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For a starter series the best pick in my opinion is Autosport academy
www.autosportacademy.com
Old 13 Aug 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2268745)   #3
08u05
Racer

08u05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Possibly a year in club level Formula Ford may be the best first step on the ladder after karting, as you can best judge how you perform in basic level cars.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 01:17 (Ref:2268796)   #4
JOWT Blog
Racer

United States
JOWT Blog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08u05
Possibly a year in club level Formula Ford may be the best first step on the ladder after karting, as you can best judge how you perform in basic level cars.
Agreed 100%.....with that said, the next step is largely dependant on your age and your funding. Seat time in a car is your best bet for now.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 09:04 (Ref:2268886)   #5
Sideswipe
Rookie

How much do you reckon a season costs to do club level FF?
Old 14 Aug 2008, 09:39 (Ref:2268917)   #6
kfsracer
Rookie

kfsracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole
For a starter series the best pick in my opinion is Autosport academy
www.autosportacademy.com
Definitely not... autosport academy is full of cheating and a political serie. If you got money and can bribe the people there go for it, otherwise forget it.

I'm not familiar with season costs in UK but if you are prepared to try your luck aborad, Asia is very cost effective and you can learn a lot in a Formula Renault for example and can get quite a lot of testing with dedicated instructors for a very reasonable price. And F.R. is a very good car to prepare the steps afterwards.

Yet I know it is not easy for everybody to go this far for racing. Just a thought Good luck
Old 15 Aug 2008, 15:44 (Ref:2269692)   #7
Sideswipe
Rookie

Anyone know what a seasons budget in any of these single seater series is? Any other one we've missed out that a clear winner?

Old 19 Aug 2008, 07:21 (Ref:2271365)   #8
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What budget you will have for 2009?
Old 19 Aug 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2271516)   #9
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
are clowns that caper in their sawdust rings? fford was good in old times boys. the new kids on f1 came from fbmw or frenault. i cant see point to spend time and money in fford or fpalmer. fpalmer is a rollcoster for gentlemans not newbies
Old 20 Aug 2008, 00:00 (Ref:2271906)   #10
JOWT Blog
Racer

United States
JOWT Blog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lam Pak
are clowns that caper in their sawdust rings? fford was good in old times boys. the new kids on f1 came from fbmw or frenault. i cant see point to spend time and money in fford or fpalmer. fpalmer is a rollcoster for gentlemans not newbies
First of all, I don't believe sideswipe said anything about racing in Formula One, the original question was the best place to go for a transition from karts to cars.

Secondly, you are correct that a majority of today's F1 youngsters came from FR or FBMW. But you need to note that drivers such as Heidfeld, Raikkonen, Davidson..etc. spent time in a Formula Ford series after karting.

Nick Heidfeld~German Formula Ford
Kimi Raikonnen~British Formula Ford
Anthony Davidson~ BRSCC Formula Ford Zetec

Third, no one can accurately answer Sideswipes question without knowing his age, budget, experience, and goals.

I think 08u05 said it best....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08u05
....Emphasis on seat time and performance in basic level cars.

In response to the original question posed by Sideswipe.....

Regardless of what your goals in racing are..... the more seat time the better.

Drive anything and everything as much as you possibly can and try to avoid sideswiping others.....
Old 24 Aug 2008, 12:56 (Ref:2274246)   #11
josh312
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bradford
josh312 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,

I have gone into my first year of single seaters with the National Club Formula Ford Championship. We loked at all our options and this was the best for a real challenge with very competitive drivers. The budgets vary and we have driven with Don Hardman of Marque Cars who have 30 years experience in this field and are a brilliant Team.

Budgets and cars vary but it is very sociable, very competitive and has prepared me for the 2009 British Formula Ford Championship.

Let me know if you need any other help. Check out
www.clubformulaford.co.uk
Old 24 Aug 2008, 20:48 (Ref:2274620)   #12
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you just wanna have fun, then I dunno; but the ladder no longer exists - if you want to make it, then you need to be in the right place at the right time & that could be DTM, Indycar or Le Mans just as much as GP2 or WSbR or even A1GP.

If I wanted to get to F1 but had a small budget, I would go via sportscars and get paid en route to being noticed (McNish, Wurz & to a lesser degree Zonta made it on the back of GT/Le Mans).

US F Ford/ US FBMW - Atlantic - IndyLight - Indycar is another way to get noticed (couple Atlantic and/or Lights with a sportscar ride & you get paid too!).