Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Aug 2008, 16:28 (Ref:2269116)   #1
Armchair Enthusiast
Rookie

United Kingdom
Towcester
Armchair Enthusiast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VW Scirocco Cup

I have heard through the industry grapevine that VW are going to create a new racing series around the gorgeous Scirocco. If you haven't seen it, think Alfa Romeo Brera meets Honda Civic I guess (check it out on google images is the best thing).

The series will be based in germany and will feature about 20 cars, and will be run like the Formula Palmer Audi series, with one team looking after all cars. So maybe the series is a cross between the Cupra/Clio cup and FPA. Should make for some good racing I reckon.

Matthew
Old 14 Aug 2008, 16:42 (Ref:2269125)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I assume if this series will happen it replaces the German SEAT Supercopa series.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 16:49 (Ref:2269127)   #3
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Scirocco gorgeous? Its a boring flat Golf, and a rather weak one if you compare it to the original IROC concept. The concept was a cool car, but the final version is just a bland flat Golf if you ask me.

Concept:

Streetversion:
Old 14 Aug 2008, 17:10 (Ref:2269135)   #4
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It will be interesting to see VAG racing under the VW name if it goes ahead.
Could lead to more VWs replacing SEATs possibly?
Old 15 Aug 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2269524)   #5
Armchair Enthusiast
Rookie

United Kingdom
Towcester
How can you say its just a Golf..... The Golf is a hideous looking car, no style whatsoever!!! If this car drove down the street unbadged, I would think "Alfa", not "Golf"!!
Old 15 Aug 2008, 18:43 (Ref:2269764)   #6
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
The Scirocco gorgeous? Its a boring flat Golf, and a rather weak one if you compare it to the original IROC concept. The concept was a cool car, but the final version is just a bland flat Golf if you ask me.
If the cup car looks anything like the N24 car it will be very nice though!
Old 15 Aug 2008, 21:18 (Ref:2269849)   #7
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink
If the cup car looks anything like the N24 car it will be very nice though!
Thats true, but I'll always stay disappointing they dumbed down the concept version.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2269870)   #8
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The engine in that Scirocco N24 is really good, I got a drive in the Golf N24 R-Line, driven FLAT OUT by VW factorydriver Christoffer Nygaard. And it pulls very nicely, and sounds great

The Cup car will probably have a similar 300 BHP 2,0 TFSI engine.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 22:55 (Ref:2269885)   #9
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the only difference i can see between the two is the front grille. The concept had a bit of a brash front grille, the actual car has all the same lines, but without what looks like just a peice of metal welded on the front. It's a good looking car, and if it may replace the SEAT Cupra's, I don't think anyone could say a Leon is better looking. It would be like insisting the world is flat.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 00:15 (Ref:2269893)   #10
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
The engine in that Scirocco N24 is really good, I got a drive in the Golf N24 R-Line, driven FLAT OUT by VW factorydriver Christoffer Nygaard. And it pulls very nicely, and sounds great
Is that the silver one? Saw it pedaled by Stuck/Sainz/de Villiers at the last VLN round before the N24 and it sure seemed to go nicely
Old 19 Aug 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2271618)   #11
Armchair Enthusiast
Rookie

United Kingdom
Towcester
I would certainly like to see this replace the Seat Cupra Cup on the BTCC support package. Its not that I dont like the Seat's (I drive a leon myself, 2000 version), but a nice new injection into the revived BTCC would be just what the doctor ordered.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 22:20 (Ref:2271876)   #12
THIM
Racer

Poland
THIM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adac Polo Cup is running on the same idea - rent drives for all. Maybe that's replacement? Not accurate, though.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 00:11 (Ref:2271910)   #13
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
the new golf (really a reskin) has the scirocco front end. Bland
Old 21 Aug 2008, 17:03 (Ref:2272825)   #14
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye
Is that the silver one? Saw it pedaled by Stuck/Sainz/de Villiers at the last VLN round before the N24 and it sure seemed to go nicely
Indeed it was the silver one!

The 300 BHP engine, allthough a fourpot turbo, roars like a lion when flatout. That weekend it was driven by VW boss Kris Nissen and Christoffer Nygaard. Christoffer was supposed to give me only two hotlaps for charity, but given the fact that another driver in a Polo Cup blocked our way..

We sneaked out on another lap, and this car can REALLY move. Christoffer wanted to show me, that he was every bit a fast as I had claimed everytime I commentated VW Polo Cup years ago..

Man, that was a car and a drive I will never forget

Last edited by Aslak Vind; 21 Aug 2008 at 17:07.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 05:15 (Ref:2273110)   #15
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb
the only difference i can see between the two is the front grille. The concept had a bit of a brash front grille, the actual car has all the same lines, but without what looks like just a peice of metal welded on the front.
I completely agree. And I also think I know WHY they HAD TO replace the grille. That grille look from the concept is the new look of VAGs AUDI brand. Putting the same grille on the VW brand would diminish the excusive image assosiated with the premier VAG brand.

In short, it's all down to silly marketing strategy.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 08:07 (Ref:2273169)   #16
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What stedevil says is true, this is the excuse given by VAG execs
Old 22 Aug 2008, 08:18 (Ref:2273174)   #17
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hehe, maybe I should check if they have some marketing analyst position open at VAG
Old 25 Oct 2009, 21:53 (Ref:2569645)   #18
THIM
Racer

Poland
THIM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ladies and Gentelmen, here it is:

http://www.volkswagen-motorsport.com...&st=417&op=id&