Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 6 Oct 2008, 14:29 (Ref:2305406)   #1
Willie12
Rookie

Willie12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unexperienced Driver, looking for Budget drives in FF 2009

Hello,

I'm looking for a drive in Formula Ford in 2009. I live in Bristol but will travel anywhere despite lack of funds.

Been karting since I was 9 and have done a few experience days at Thruxton in single seaters, but now looking to add to my mini CV with a season in Formula Ford.

Looking for cheapest drives possible, not looking to buy my own car and I don't expect to be competative with my budget restraints and lack of experience.

If anyone has some anything available either the odd race, test or full Championship, or knows a man (or woman) who does. Would really appreciate hearing from you

many thanks

Will

Last edited by Willie12; 6 Oct 2008 at 14:33. Reason: because I am a fool and forgot what year it was
Old 6 Oct 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2305505)   #2
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you're looking for a race CV, then running on the cheapest budget is probably a waste of time.

Considering your location perhaps running in Combe Fords is your best bet. No doubt the fees for each race will be in excess of £1000... A season in British fords must be at least £50k.
Old 6 Oct 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2305522)   #3
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel
If you're looking for a race CV, then running on the cheapest budget is probably a waste of time.

Considering your location perhaps running in Combe Fords is your best bet. No doubt the fees for each race will be in excess of £1000... A season in British fords must be at least £50k.
£150k if you want to be up at the front.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 6 Oct 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2305610)   #4
Willie12
Rookie

Willie12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't say an Impresive CV. In fact forget the CV bit, I just want to experience some single seater racing on a budget. Don't care if i'm competing for 1st place or 1 from last place, just to be competing in a car would be enough for me.

Was looking at Classic saloons a while back, but it just doesn't have the same appeal to me as open wheel racing does.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 07:37 (Ref:2305867)   #5
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall someone advertising a Ford Zetec for hire in 750MC F4 series for £700 a race. But that won’t have included entry fee (£200), damage insurance (£???) or tyres (say £200). So could be about £1200 per race and I doubt that it would get significantly cheaper than this. If that was the case then to afford 5 races a year you’d need to be earning about £8000 a year (£660 a month) just to cover the race costs. You’d also need your own safety gear (£500 – £1000), and want to do some testing – same cost as a race I’d imagine. Considering your location then events at Castle Combe are probably your best starting point.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 09:11 (Ref:2305930)   #6
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For F4 try Barry Pomfret

For CC FF1600 try Wayne Poole

Would think you can hire either for £1,200 including everything if not might consider hiring you mine!

One off drives tend to be more expensive than agreeing say a test and 3 races.

Last edited by Triple J Motorsport; 7 Oct 2008 at 09:13.

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 7 Oct 2008, 10:28 (Ref:2305979)   #7
JEB
Veteran

JEB has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I personally would suggest a run out in the Castle Combe FF1600 Championship. Give Steve Burns at Castle Combe a call. He will be able to point you in the direction of teams/individuals who can hire a car, and/or give advice on how to get started and race to a budget - however big or small.

To get a feel of Formula Ford, visit the Walter Hayes Trophy at Silverstone at the beginning of November. Lots of FF1600s will be in action, and many teams will be present. You would be able to chat to people, to again, get information before jumping straight in. All the FF1600 main players will be at the WHT, so it is a good meeting to visit.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2306065)   #8
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB
To get a feel of Formula Ford, visit the Walter Hayes Trophy at Silverstone at the beginning of November. Lots of FF1600s will be in action, and many teams will be present. You would be able to chat to people, to again, get information before jumping straight in. All the FF1600 main players will be at the WHT, so it is a good meeting to visit.
Subtle James, subtle
Old 7 Oct 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2306072)   #9
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
lol

If you can't make the WHT go to the festival at Brands

Old 7 Oct 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2306242)   #10
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple J Motorsport
For F4 try Barry Pomfret

For CC FF1600 try Wayne Poole

Would think you can hire either for £1,200 including everything if not might consider hiring you mine!

One off drives tend to be more expensive than agreeing say a test and 3 races.
Thanks for the advert John ! I will have a Van Diemen RF01 Zetec available for next years F4, and if somebody wanted to do the A Class with wings I could convert it if the money was right. ( Costing is about right for F4)
Old 7 Oct 2008, 17:52 (Ref:2306290)   #11
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
Subtle James, subtle
Ah, the Asp arises from its slumber.
Yes try the WHT but if you can't wait, try the Brands Festival the week after next.

p.s. for Asp
I'll try to sneak a bit of that subtle stuff in shortly, if you promise not to inflict the 10/10ths Mafia Rulebook on me.
Old 7 Oct 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2306453)   #12
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz
Ah, the Asp arises from its slumber.
Yes try the WHT but if you can't wait, try the Brands Festival the week after next.

p.s. for Asp
I'll try to sneak a bit of that subtle stuff in shortly, if you promise not to inflict the 10/10ths Mafia Rulebook on me.
No slumber, lack of internet, don't blame me.

And we're not the mafia. We prefer to be known as "The Establishment"
Old 8 Oct 2008, 09:10 (Ref:2306658)   #13
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Pomfret
Thanks for the advert John ! I will have a Van Diemen RF01 Zetec available for next years F4, and if somebody wanted to do the A Class with wings I could convert it if the money was right. ( Costing is about right for F4)

No problem!

Shame you can't get it out for the festival but good to have another car out in FFZetec next year.

Old 13 Oct 2008, 12:11 (Ref:2311145)   #14
Jon Davis
Racer

England
Haywards Heath'ish, East Sussex
Jon Davis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just finished a full season in the URS Classic Formula Ford 1600 championship (www.classicformulaford.com). I will be racing for the last time in 2008 at the Walter Hayes Trophy over the weekend of the 1st and 2nd of November. My car is a front running Class B entry (OK so I won the class this year) and I run it on a pretty tight budget. I have thought about running someone next year as I do not have the funds to race myself but have not really spent too long thinking about it. If you want to chat then give me a shout or come and find me at the WHT. The £1200 number being bounced around in previous postings seems pretty accurate . . . don't forget that along with the car you will be on average using 3 days of the owners time (preping, travelling and running).
Old 16 Oct 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2314077)   #15
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buy a car and learn to run it your self.. If you don't succeed as a driver you may find you have a talent running race car?? If you are successful it will only help you in the future... Just remember that racing is expensive so getting money comes before anything!!!
Old 1 Nov 2008, 20:50 (Ref:2325537)   #16
FA73
Racer

FA73 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Davis
I have just finished a full season in the URS Classic Formula Ford 1600 championship (www.classicformulaford.com). I will be racing for the last time in 2008 at the Walter Hayes Trophy over the weekend of the 1st and 2nd of November. My car is a front running Class B entry (OK so I won the class this year) and I run it on a pretty tight budget. I have thought about running someone next year as I do not have the funds to race myself but have not really spent too long thinking about it. If you want to chat then give me a shout or come and find me at the WHT. The £1200 number being bounced around in previous postings seems pretty accurate . . . don't forget that along with the car you will be on average using 3 days of the owners time (preping, travelling and running).
Walter Hayes Trophy - Garage 9 - come and find out all about Classic Formula Ford !!