Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 27 Oct 2008, 21:02 (Ref:2322101)   #1
FA73
Racer

FA73 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Le Mans Winner at the Walter Hayes Trophy

Hi All, I am pleased to announce that the Classic Formula Ford Register (www.classicformulaford.com) has arranged an entry for the 1988 Le Mans Winner and 1986 British F3 Champion Andy Wallace in a 1975 Crossle 25F normally raced by Joe Walton.

A former Pre 74 FF1600 Champion, Andy visited a display we mounted at the Silverstone Classic this year which is where the idea first came up. We are keen to see how he takes to racing a FF1600 again after a 25 year gap. Andy will be racing alongside Joe in a more recent Ray chassis and his Dad Paul Walton in an identical Crossle - No pressure there then Paul !!

This link shows Andy trying Matt Taylersons Hawke DL11 for size (the same type of car he won Pre74 in):

http://www.classicformulaford.com/news/news.htm

We plan to have a small presence at the WHT and so wil be pleased to meet anyone interested in finding out more about Classic Formula Ford racing...
Old 27 Oct 2008, 22:03 (Ref:2322149)   #2
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that makes 2 Le Mans winners in this seasons Walter Hays with Darren Turner although Darrens entry maybe under risk due to some complications. Although I am sure they can be sorted in time to keep it as 2 winners!!
Old 30 Oct 2008, 13:20 (Ref:2324178)   #3
FA73
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redracer77
that makes 2 Le Mans winners in this seasons Walter Hays with Darren Turner although Darrens entry maybe under risk due to some complications. Although I am sure they can be sorted in time to keep it as 2 winners!!
Yes - should have called this thread "Another Le Mans Winnner....."
Darren Turner is in Heat 3 and Andy Wallace is in Heat 4
Old 31 Oct 2008, 23:00 (Ref:2325141)   #4
FA73
Racer

Friday Test Session

So far so good.... After 25 years away from FF1600 Andy had a couple of brief runs today in the (1975) Crossle 25F. After Robin (Paul and Joes' Mechanic) had made him a new seat using much foam and tanktape he took to the track in cold but dry conditions for an initial familiarisation run. Initial feedback indicated that the car was "great fun" and felt good.

Having done some thinking over lunch on how to drive the car and how to remove some understeer he announced a plan - " I will do a few laps then come in and get the rear rollbar stiffened to try and remove the understeer, then when that doesn't work we will put it back and I will race the car as it is...."

He then went out in session 2 and did a further 3-4 laps steadily reducing his times by a few tenths each lap. During a pause for a red flag he had Robin add 1" stiffness to the rear roll bar and then proceeded to quickly record a time of 65.2 seconds (which is 3/10 quicker than the pole time set for the above mentioned Classic FF1600 Silverstone rounds) followed by 2 more 65.6 second laps before the session was stopped.

Considering the age of the chassis, the conditions and the length of time since he last drove a car of this type I think Andy did a superb job. Paul and Joe also definitely seemed to find his comments on the car and the track very helpful. There was a good atmosphere in the Garage and we are hoping Andy and all the regular Classic FF1600 Drivers who have entered the WHT have a good weekends racing.
Old 1 Nov 2008, 20:41 (Ref:2325534)   #5
FA73
Racer

Heat 4 Report

An excellent effort in tricky conditions saw Andy battling with much newer cars rising from 17th on the grid to 13th - missing 12th by just 2/10ths on the last dash to the line.

Having missed an immediate place in the semi finals by just over a second Andy will line up in the last chance race with the sister car of Paul Walton close by...

Any team orders ???.......just the obvious one - don't run into each other !!!

Last edited by FA73; 1 Nov 2008 at 20:47.
Old 2 Nov 2008, 02:12 (Ref:2325656)   #6
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I've been winding up the Sportscar regulars with comments re a "New open top car with Gulf sponsorship, and Darren Turner behind the wheel. So it must be an Aston LMP1, yes?"

I had 'em going till I actually posted a picture.

I'll drop one of AW here, too?
Old 2 Nov 2008, 23:09 (Ref:2326470)   #7
FA73
Racer

Last Chance report

Tim - a picture would be great.

From 11th on the grid Andy was up to 6th at the end of lap one. Gradually a few other Drivers in newer chassis got going and he gradually got demoted back to 11th again but a great drive anyway I thought...

I would like to thank Andy for his terrific performances on the track and for his friendliness and approachability with all our fellow Club Members and all the visitors to Garage 9. He is a great Driver and a top Bloke too....

Thanks also to Paul Walton, Robin, and the rest of their team for their contribution and for providing a quick reliable car - a real credit to Classic FF1600. Also to all our members for helping to create a memorable weekend and the CFFR Committee Members for their work on our display and in supplying tea and chocs to keep out the cold !! And to the Commentator up in the "God Box" for giving us a plug over the PA too !!
Old 7 Nov 2008, 09:21 (Ref:2329874)   #8
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry for the delay, but here's AW, and DT, in flight.

Lots more pics here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandfis...7608726822330/

I wasn't working, just freezing, so apologies if they're all much the same, and I don;t have comprehensive coverage!
Attached Thumbnails
3009427102_9bcf6100c8.jpg   3009418458_a8a0242152.jpg  
Old 7 Nov 2008, 12:55 (Ref:2330012)   #9
FA73
Racer

Tim,

Thanks very much for posting the pictures and you are right - it was freezing - I even used some thermals I bought years ago for skiing but never needed in the mountains !!
Old 7 Nov 2008, 21:45 (Ref:2330321)   #10
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
It increases my respect for anyone actually keeping a car pointing in the right direction... Stone cold tyres and greasy tracks do not a happy marriage make!