Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 24 Mar 2009, 18:23 (Ref:2423806)   #1
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BARC Silverstone 4 - 5th April 09.

All welcome see Marshals needed (as always ).
Old 24 Mar 2009, 19:28 (Ref:2423856)   #2
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
THis is not a surprise as there are meetings at both Donington and Mallory on the Sunday as well!!!!
Old 24 Mar 2009, 20:28 (Ref:2423901)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
THis is not a surprise as there are meetings at both Donington and Mallory on the Sunday as well!!!!
Plus meetings at Donington and Rockingham on the Saturday.
Old 25 Mar 2009, 15:11 (Ref:2424510)   #4
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Anglesey.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 14:56 (Ref:2432452)   #5
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whose going to BARC this weekend? - I'll see you there - looks like interesting grids - hopefully weather will be OK but looks iffy for Sat morning.

Personally not seen Caterhams as yet - so look forward to those, and as always the 2cv's. I suspect that the BMW's will be hard and harsh as always - so should add up to be a nice couple of days in my book.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 16:32 (Ref:2432535)   #6
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking forward to the 2CV's - I'm at Snetterton for the 24hour in the summer so will be a good taster. I'm only there for the Saturday as I'm at Donington Sunday, although judging by the developments this week, that may be a bad decision!
Old 3 Apr 2009, 17:24 (Ref:2432588)   #7
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm there both days
Old 3 Apr 2009, 19:19 (Ref:2432683)   #8
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there both days as well. Looking forward to the 2CVs as always, BMWs and MGs might get a bit of argy-bargy, and the weather forecast is dry for Sunday which means the Caterhams might be entertaining. I've seen Caterhams tiptoe round Silverstone in the rain and it wasn't fun.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2432712)   #9
mjpiotr
Rookie

Poland
Alexandria, VA
mjpiotr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm doing both days as well. The weather seems to be nice, although my forecastfox says there will be showers on Saturday...
Old 5 Apr 2009, 21:09 (Ref:2434599)   #10
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Silverstone BARC 4th and 5th April.

Well no thread up here.

Some reasonable racing and very generous Caterham drivers giving out hats and easter eggs.

Quiet weekend apart from the usual frolics at Brooklands and a monster impact in the Kumho BMW's. The driver was shaken and slighlty injured but was back walking round the paddock today.

Some of the BMW didn't react to the red flag as well as the clerk wanted them to and found themselves excluded from the meeting.

All in all an ok way to kick of the marshalling season.

No mention of crows or brooms
Old 6 Apr 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2434926)   #11
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done all marshals and especially the Pits (2)and Startline (4) marshals at Silverstone.All run to time with some very exciting racing throughout .Rescue guys did a superb job at the BMW incident on Saturday .Respect !
Thank you all it was spot on.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 11:52 (Ref:2435030)   #12
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent to see the clerk taking action against wayward drivers...well done that man/woman!
Old 6 Apr 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2435053)   #13
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had a great two days up at Beckett's as well, and the weather was good. No such trouble with Crows or Brooms up on our post Robin!!

Did have an issue with a yellow BMW outbraking himself, going the long way around Becketts, and then very carefully threading his way through the

STOP - LIVE - TRACK

signs and start to go speeding off the wrong way down the live Southern Circuit. Luckily he stopped when he caught my fellow marshal frantically waving at him, it was a potential nasty moment as the instructors on the S.Circuit were "giving it some" over the weekend. I hate to think of the consequences.

The weekends racing was excellent - especially the Caterhams - and I learnt loads about lines at Becketts which may be of some use!

My wife (spectating) heard over the commentary system that 4 drivers had also been excluded on Sunday for taking the Chq'd more than once on Sat. Indeed a Clerk clearly showing it as it is!
Old 6 Apr 2009, 12:31 (Ref:2435070)   #14
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very pleasant time at Luffield In on Sunday - always a pleasure to work for Jason

It was good to see that the firm line with the BMW folk appeared to keep Sunday's drivers up to a high standard - nice racing without danger is good for me!!

We did notice that green cars did more kitty litter and spins - wasn't aware that there were bonus points for artistic merit?

I found the smaller grids a struggle to get excited about, but enjoyed my first sight of the 2CV drivers - surprisingly good entertainment and quality racing. Also good to see the rolled 2CV land on it's wheels with little obvious damage to car or contents.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2435148)   #15
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D View Post
Well no thread up here.
Yes there was! Now merged.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 21:34 (Ref:2435491)   #16
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep I know Chris. I'm a dunce.

Tony, the commentators were not sure why the BMW's were DQ. But the reason I mentioned before is the real reason.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 13:11 (Ref:2435902)   #17
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D View Post
Tony, the commentators were not sure why the BMW's were DQ. But the reason I mentioned before is the real reason.
That probably makes more sense - thanks Robin
Old 7 Apr 2009, 21:56 (Ref:2436284)   #18
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible-Tones View Post
Did have an issue with a yellow BMW outbraking himself, going the long way around Becketts, and then very carefully threading his way through the

STOP - LIVE - TRACK

signs and start to go speeding off the wrong way down the live Southern Circuit. Luckily he stopped when he caught my fellow marshal frantically waving at him, it was a potential nasty moment as the instructors on the S.Circuit were "giving it some" over the weekend. I hate to think of the consequences.
That happened at last year's Walter Hayes Trophy too, although luckily the car in question was stopped before making it onto the southern circuit. The 2 circuits need to be better cordoned off or there's going to be a nasty accident one day.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 07:53 (Ref:2436465)   #19
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticker Rub View Post
That happened at last year's Walter Hayes Trophy too, although luckily the car in question was stopped before making it onto the southern circuit. The 2 circuits need to be better cordoned off or there's going to be a nasty accident one day.
I understand also that someone had brake failure coming into Becketts last year and ended up crashing at Stow - to the surprise of the S.Circuit guys!

I did have my heart in my mouth - the BM driver was simply trying to find a way back onto track - though how he missed the big "Live Circuit" signs I do not know. Having seen that I agree there should be more "physical" separation btween the circuits at this point - tyres perhaps - I don't know?

If he had have gone up circuit then of course it was not only the head on scenario that is unthinkable - but also that both drivers would have been so totally surpised at high speed this could have led to anything happening.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 08:35 (Ref:2436495)   #20
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scary moment for you folk, but also pretty scary for the BM driver when he realised!

I wonder whether the big live circuit signage was simply interpreted by him to mean the live circuit that he had just left and was attempting to rejoin? Can't think of how signage or barriers could be made clearer without becoming so wordy they don't register properly - probably the best person to ask would be the driver.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 09:22 (Ref:2436524)   #21
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticker Rub View Post
Thought the MSA had asked for better physical barriers to be installed after this happened (not just the one incident I believe)
Old 8 Apr 2009, 09:48 (Ref:2436551)   #22
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the "STOP LIVE CIRCUIT" barrier in qualifying and had a chuckle that they'd had to go to such lengths to demarcate the different circuits - but they obviously need to go further!
Old 8 Apr 2009, 12:58 (Ref:2436683)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Of course, if you're racing you expect the circuit to be live, so it's not necessarily a clue that it's not the same circuit.