Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 7 Apr 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2435978)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Monaco GP 2009 - Help please!!!

Ok so as some of you may know, I am off to the Monaco GP to lose my F1 virginity

Tickets sorted. Accomodation is in the works (she's sorting that side of it!). Only trouble is getting there and back...

Unfortunately, I need to work Fri/Mon. I start at 9 and end at about 4.30 (give or take a bit earlier/later if need be).

I've had a look on Easyjet and the flights will cost me around about £300 to be able to make work

I don't know if anyone know any other means of getting there that won't cost me an arm and a leg..? Thought i'd ask here before booking.

Thanks in advance!

Selby
Old 7 Apr 2009, 17:30 (Ref:2436047)   #2
bodgit
Racer

United Kingdom
durham
bodgit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eurostar then French high speed trains? dunno weather the trains go directly to monaco though and dunno how much the tickets will cost
Old 8 Apr 2009, 13:08 (Ref:2436697)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh that's looking like the only feasible option I think :/

Selby
Old 10 Apr 2009, 15:04 (Ref:2438110)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
driving will cost around £300 as well, so that's not really going to be of financial benefit. i think the tgvs all end at nice (or at the earliest, cannes), and you can easily catch a local train to monaco with little fuss from the same station and the same platforms.

try milan bergamo airport for cheaper options from stansted, and hire a car to drive the distance from milan to your accomodation - it's about 3-4 hours and 30€ tolls to the nice area. there are trains and so on, but it'd waste more time and cause more hassle than it was worth. also montpellier and marseille are within 2-3 hours of nice. may even be worth considering lyon airport - that would also be about 4 hours drive plus about 30€ tolls but you have the option of the tgv from there.

hope that helps
Old 10 Apr 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2438168)   #5
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just driven to Italy with my brother and am horrified at the cost's.Dont know the cost for it but I would go TGV to Marsailles/Nice then a local train along to Monaco.Did that trip a good few years ago and found it a lot of fun.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 10 Apr 2009, 17:29 (Ref:2438192)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
top to the bottom of france is clocking up at between 80-100€ at the moment one way on tolls, even if diesel is cheaper than the uk (unleaded is around 20-30p a litre more expensive though).

o/t but the best way to italy is belgium/luxembourg/switzerland/gotthard tunnel - tolls on that one just to get to italy are no more than €10 plus the swiss motorway tax which is €20-30 for a year.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 11:09 (Ref:2441241)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
driving will cost around £300 as well, so that's not really going to be of financial benefit. i think the tgvs all end at nice (or at the earliest, cannes), and you can easily catch a local train to monaco with little fuss from the same station and the same platforms.

try milan bergamo airport for cheaper options from stansted, and hire a car to drive the distance from milan to your accomodation - it's about 3-4 hours and 30€ tolls to the nice area. there are trains and so on, but it'd waste more time and cause more hassle than it was worth. also montpellier and marseille are within 2-3 hours of nice. may even be worth considering lyon airport - that would also be about 4 hours drive plus about 30€ tolls but you have the option of the tgv from there.

hope that helps
This sounds good - I'll look in to it. Apart from the fact I can't drive

Thank you very much!

Selby
Old 15 Apr 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2441288)   #8
Spudy
Racer

Spudy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have an alternative for you.
Fly Stansted to Marseille on Ryanair. There is a flight departing 19:10pm on 22.05.09. Then fly back on 24.05.09 on the 22:40pm flight.

Its about £180 and you can get a train from Marseille to Nice quite easily for about £50.

Given there would not be much in the price I would go for Easyjet and book now as it will only get more expensive! Most of the teams do a Wednesday out and Monday return on Esayjet so avoid these days to fly but Nice will always be busy during GP weekend whatever days you fly.

Next year go to Spa, much cheaper!! But Monaco is awesome to watch, I work for a team and went there last year for my first race and it was brilliant and the noise really ecos around the place, have a great time!
Old 16 Apr 2009, 00:24 (Ref:2441856)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
there is no planet on which a ryanair return flight is worth £180.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 13:06 (Ref:2447808)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Thanks for your help everyone - I think regardless of what I do I'm going to have to pay a considerable amount to get there and back in the allocated times I really hate the fact I can't book time off work. It'd make my life alot easier, but at the same time, I do have the holidays off, so I can't complain!

Thanks again

Selby