Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Apr 2009, 19:09 (Ref:2447245)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2010 - new tyres

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/...e-in-pipeline/

So, it appears that there will be narrower fronts. I'd rather they went down the larger rear tyres route for aesthetic reasons. However, if Bridgestone already have the tooling for narrower fronts I guess that's what's going to happen.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 19:14 (Ref:2447250)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Posted similar article on the 'Changes at Ferrari' thread.Which hopefully will stop them from building their 2010 car too early.

Narrower,lower profile fronts will only make the front wing look even bigger IMO.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 19:15 (Ref:2447251)   #3
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If the claims by Bridgestone is accurate and dont hold back any negative sides, I'm all for it. Seems like a sensible move.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2447265)   #4
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Posted similar article on the 'Changes at Ferrari' thread.Which hopefully will stop them from building their 2010 car too early.

Narrower,lower profile fronts will only make the front wing look even bigger IMO.
The narrower front tyres will result in teams using longer suspensions.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 19:43 (Ref:2447268)   #5
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
What about the 2010 tyre durability? I'd like to see Bridgestone to take two different compounds with them every weekend. I'd like to see the softer compound to be just a bit too soft for the whole race distance and the harder compound to be a bit too hard.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2447280)   #6
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think the plan is to remove tyre stops. The old one tyre per race rule wasn't particularly good as the tyres were very close to failiure at the end. Pit stops are a visually recognisable aspect of F1, I think they ought to stay. Maybe go for a two wheel gun rule to make the stops a little slower.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2447282)   #7
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely narrowing the contact patch is going to reduce mechanical grip which is the opposite of what the new regulations are trying to achieve?
Old 22 Apr 2009, 20:24 (Ref:2447314)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
That's what I was thinking too - we don't want the cars to get slower.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 20:34 (Ref:2447325)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I have been saying to increase the width of the rears since I first saw the cars, and heard that they were over-steer happy.

It seems Bridgestone is more interested with saving money than developing a better tyre.

They no longer do the thousands and thousands of miles of testing, and they cant afford to make new moulds for slightly wider tyres?
Old 23 Apr 2009, 09:42 (Ref:2447660)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
What about the 2010 tyre durability? I'd like to see Bridgestone to take two different compounds with them every weekend. I'd like to see the softer compound to be just a bit too soft for the whole race distance and the harder compound to be a bit too hard.
That's exactly what we have right now - or are you just joking?
__

On the tyre width issue: Presumably they will close some of the aero loopholes for 2010, thereby getting the aero/mechanical balance back to what they had in mind to start with. So narrower fronts makes more sense in terms of not wanting corner speeds to get too high.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 11:13 (Ref:2447726)   #11
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
That's exactly what we have right now - or are you just joking?
No, we currently have the legal obligation to use two different and far from ideal tyre compounds.

Quote:
The old one tyre per race rule wasn't particularly good as the tyres were very close to failiure at the end.
I'm not in favour of a ban on tyre changes but the tyre conditions aren't a real issue. Certainly not with the current standardized tyres.

Quote:
Pit stops are a visually recognisable aspect of F1, I think they ought to stay.
Here's another one: pitstops are against the spirit of the sports.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 11:29 (Ref:2447738)   #12
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
That's what I was thinking too - we don't want the cars to get slower.
Well that's exactly what the FIA wants! A big part of the aim of this years regs was to slow the cars down because they were getting too quick and dangerous again. But all the teams have just come out with a big "**** you" and made the cars much quicker then expected!

So it only makes sense the FIA will try something else to achieve their goal. I think if this doesn't work they're talking of introducing an anchor on each car...
Old 23 Apr 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2447750)   #13
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was wondering how the in-race refuelling ban for 2010 might impact, if any of course, on what tyres Bridgestone may produce and what compounds they may make available at races?

Surely the reuelling ban will require the cars to hold enough fuel to complete the race, so all cars will have that much fuel weight on board at each start. More weight = less overall speed, if not just cornering?
Old 23 Apr 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2447755)   #14
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I'd open the tyres up to competition again and limit them to two sets of tyres for each practice session, two sets of tyres for qualifying and two sets for the race, with no rollover for unused tyres.

Teams would be then limited to one optional tyre change per race (and refuelling would be banned ).
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 23 Apr 2009, 13:49 (Ref:2447832)   #15
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotusonpole View Post
I was wondering how the in-race refuelling ban for 2010 might impact, if any of course, on what tyres Bridgestone may produce and what compounds they may make available at races?
Well for a start, the current 'super-soft' tyre would be almost unusable in a race, it seems to be only effective for short stints only - something that we would be unlikely to see once the refuelling ban comes into effect. It would, however, be an ideal qualifying tyre.

I assume that the current rule which states that drivers must use prime and option tyres during the race will be scrapped, so that could lead to races where no tyre-stops are required at all. However, with heavy fuel-loads and inevitable flat-spotting, I couldn't see this happening very often.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 14:09 (Ref:2447843)   #16
andybg40
Racer

England
Kent
andybg40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post

I would imagine that the wing will reduce in width accordingly. The design of the wing is governed by the need to force air flow around the sides of the wheels.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 15:39 (Ref:2447920)   #17
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
Personally I'd open the tyres up to competition again and limit them to two sets of tyres for each practice session, two sets of tyres for qualifying and two sets for the race, with no rollover for unused tyres.

Teams would be then limited to one optional tyre change per race (and refuelling would be banned ).
The control tyre has reduced the amount of tyre testing required, which is always helpful in the current economic climate. The current system could be milked a little more, mainly by getting Bridgestone on board as more of a major sponsor - the Champions League concept of having several major sponsors with a bit more exposure (why not, for example, Bridgestone logos on the backdrop for the unilateral interviews).

Andy, I don't see the front wing width being reduced, if anything will be done to reduce downforce I imagine it's cutting flappy bits off it rather than anything else.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 15:45 (Ref:2447922)   #18
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They don't have to take width off the whole car - slimmer tyres on longer wishbones would do the same.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2448014)   #19
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
The control tyre has reduced the amount of tyre testing required, which is always helpful in the current economic climate. The current system could be milked a little more, mainly by getting Bridgestone on board as more of a major sponsor - the Champions League concept of having several major sponsors with a bit more exposure (why not, for example, Bridgestone logos on the backdrop for the unilateral interviews).
"Bridgestone presents FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP powered by Cosworth".

Old 24 Apr 2009, 01:28 (Ref:2448293)   #20
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
"Bridgestone presents FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP powered by Cosworth".
Oh dear, it sounds very American doesn't it? Well I suppose that I could put up with a name like that, as long as they don't go down the avenue of sponsored replays...

"...let's take another look at that with our action-replay brought to you by Coors Light, the taste of the Rockies that goes down easy..."

Anyway, back to tyres... do you think that getting rid of fuel pit-stops would encourage another tyre manufacturer to become involved with F1, or would it have the opposite effect?
Old 24 Apr 2009, 03:44 (Ref:2448316)   #21
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
pit stops will most definitely be in the regulations. Cars will just pit whenever they're tires are shot instead of whenever they are running out of fuel. Also there won't be #2 drivers so thats good for the sport.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 06:04 (Ref:2448340)   #22
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiseYourFist View Post
Also there won't be #2 drivers
Wheres the implication of that?

I'm a bit disappointed theyve gone with the narrower fronts, with next years cars starting the race well over 700kg i wouldve thought the extra stresses on the tyres would make it logical to increase the contact patch to suit.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 06:52 (Ref:2448357)   #23
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
Anyway, back to tyres... do you think that getting rid of fuel pit-stops would encourage another tyre manufacturer to become involved with F1, or would it have the opposite effect?
Ah no, Formula 1 have a 'control tyre'.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 13:44 (Ref:2449881)   #24
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Could we see the 2010 tyres have painted sidewalls or still have that silly green stripe? That stripe is annoying, 9 times out of 10 I can't tell if a car is on the softer or harder tyre.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 14:13 (Ref:2449908)   #25
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah, it's quite stupid. They should make them white so it's visible, not green for some silly marketing reason.