Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 2 Jul 2001, 23:50 (Ref:112320)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Proud old men

I took my annual pilgrimage to Brooklands Motor Course this weekend, for the Brooklands Society Reunion. If you've never been to this event, I can strongly recommend it. It is quite unique.

This year, I found myself in conversation with a sprightly and gracious gentleman who introduced himself as Edgar Kehoe. While my mental databanks were whirring for the connections, he gave me a brief overview of his career.

He first raced at Brooklands on a Rudge motorcycle - in a Bemsee meeting.

In 1922.

From motorcycles, his first love, he moved on to cars, running an Austin, Riley 9 and Alvis. His last race at the track was in 1930.

Now 97, he was drinking in the spectacle of some fabulous machinery - from the tiny GN twin "Akela" to the 24-litre Bentley Napier, not to mention fully 100 "WO" type Bentleys. I said goodbye with his enthusiastic admonishment to ensure we meet up next year ringing in my ears, and decided that if I was but half as hale and hearty in my ninth decade, I shall be doing very well for myself indeed.

Of course, Tom Delaney was there as well, with the Lea Francis he raced at Brooklands in the 1930s, and other notable luminaries from the great days, who refuse to grow old gracefully. Indeed, Keith Schellenberg was there again to turn in a terrifying turn of speed up the test hill, and round the banking in the Barnato Hassan special.

Although he didn't achieve the considerable altitude this year that he managed at the summit of his test hill ascent a year ago!

What wonderful people. Truly giants amongst us.