Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 30 Oct 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2572363)   #1
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Abu-Dhabi, Part II, the race meeting and the return of the orange army

Free practice starts today, so time for a new thread

Can we keep this for Marshal type discussions and not just for discussion on the GP generally please, general GP discussion ought to go in the F1 forum as usual.

So....let the marshals spotting begin
Old 30 Oct 2009, 10:08 (Ref:2572424)   #2
ZombieSheep
Rookie

England
Pontefract
ZombieSheep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
So....let the marshals spotting begin
Just saw this posted on Twitter (I'm @ZombieSheep if there are any other twitterers on here, by the way)

http://twitpic.com/nhr0c

Anyone recognise anyone?
Old 30 Oct 2009, 10:12 (Ref:2572427)   #3
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very positive comments from David Croft and Anthony Davidson during Free Practice 1 on BBC, saying that the "best marshals in the world" have come to Abu Dhabi to ensure that everything goes well this weekend.

Haven't managed to spot anyone yet though, but I'm getting distracted by the tall shiny buildings
Old 30 Oct 2009, 10:17 (Ref:2572430)   #4
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSheep View Post
Just saw this posted on Twitter (I'm @ZombieSheep if there are any other twitterers on here, by the way)

http://twitpic.com/nhr0c

Anyone recognise anyone?
given that most are Filipinas, I'd suggest they don't come from the UK.
Off to the left are some medics..don't recognise any.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 10:21 (Ref:2572435)   #5
ZombieSheep
Rookie

England
Pontefract
ZombieSheep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
given that most are Filipinas, I'd suggest they don't come from the UK.
Off to the left are some medics..don't recognise any.
I guess that'll teach me to actually look properly at the picture before I post it...
Old 30 Oct 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2572485)   #6
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another Times article here http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6896007.ece

Things of note....the place does look stunning and I am seriously envious of anyone who is getting to experience it (even though I don't do heat!). Bernie (79) is wearing a slipper as he has gout BUT he has a 30 year old girlfriend to presumably make it all better [obvious joke] So attractive 30 year old girlie, what do you see in the old, short billionaire
Old 30 Oct 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2572497)   #7
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just watching FP2 on the BBC website... am puzzled - why was there a lazily waved green flag at the start/finish line for a few minutes after the session started? I couldn't see a yellow anywhere immediately before that.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2572499)   #8
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Just watching FP2 on the BBC website... am puzzled - why was there a lazily waved green flag at the start/finish line for a few minutes after the session started? I couldn't see a yellow anywhere immediately before that.
At the circuit I start at, we wave a green from pit open, until the first cars start to pass the control line at the beginning of a practice or qualy session. Could be for that reason...
Old 30 Oct 2009, 13:18 (Ref:2572503)   #9
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
At the circuit I start at, we wave a green from pit open, until the first cars start to pass the control line at the beginning of a practice or qualy session. Could be for that reason...

It's to give the drivers an indication of where the flag posts are located. The light-boards (or whatever they're called) were also flashing green for a while.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 13:40 (Ref:2572513)   #10
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Did I spy someone wearing black Silverstone overalls where Kubica pulled off?
Old 30 Oct 2009, 13:51 (Ref:2572521)   #11
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
It's to give the drivers an indication of where the flag posts are located. The light-boards (or whatever they're called) were also flashing green for a while.
Hrm... I didn't see them anywhere else though (which is why I mentioned it).

Time for an optician's appointment then!
Old 30 Oct 2009, 14:20 (Ref:2572542)   #12
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
Did I spy someone wearing black Silverstone overalls where Kubica pulled off?
I thought I saw at least one pair, yes. The camera didn't linger long enough to try to identify the wearer, unfortunately.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 17:25 (Ref:2572625)   #13
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Post 28, last straight before the final bend, on forward post, got cars approx 5 inches from the barrier, so still got plenty of room to play with.
Cheevys sound awesome and look well lush
we managed to have a 5 minute natter with jake humphries this morning whilst he was passing. nice chap
looking forward tomorrow for another day of fun with a good bunch of lads on post
Old 30 Oct 2009, 17:32 (Ref:2572626)   #14
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Another Times article here http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6896007.ece

Things of note....the place does look stunning and I am seriously envious of anyone who is getting to experience it (even though I don't do heat!). Bernie (79) is wearing a slipper as he has gout BUT he has a 30 year old girlfriend to presumably make it all better [obvious joke] So attractive 30 year old girlie, what do you see in the old, short billionaire
The answer is in the question dearest wife "billionaire" may be the slipper is from Ari stamping on his foot the other week!
Old 31 Oct 2009, 01:09 (Ref:2572793)   #15
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
guys, without been biased, they say best in the worlds because its true, you are the lucky guys who got picked to go this time, remember you have been choson not only from the uk but the whole world who participate. just do what you always do each weekend while in the uk and no one can say a bad word about you all. enjoy yourselves and stay safe. iam writin this with grindin teeth as iam jealous but theres always next year and hopefully korea.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 10:44 (Ref:2572902)   #16
Piglet
Veteran

Well done that man who got "us" a mention on the red button coverage just now. I think it was James from Leicestershire but I was just leaving the room as it came on!
Old 31 Oct 2009, 11:35 (Ref:2572926)   #17
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and bonus points for the correction from just 'the guys' doing the marshalling to 'everyone'
Old 31 Oct 2009, 13:39 (Ref:2572949)   #18
Piglet
Veteran

I don't ever object to the phrase "guys", to me it's an easy generic term so I don't get too excited about it.

The marshals we went to Kovi's car seemed to be wearing all black - not BoB's I don't think so were the issued overalls black? I'd assumed that they would be a lighter colour for heat and dusk reasons?
Old 31 Oct 2009, 13:47 (Ref:2572953)   #19
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Looked like BeeJ in black, from MP18? going to Kovi but the rest in grey, which was going to be the supplied overall colour (Ethiad airlines main colours)

(if it was'nt beej, then it was someone who's nicked his 'tach)
Old 31 Oct 2009, 13:59 (Ref:2572959)   #20
Piglet
Veteran

Weren't they all in black? I don't know whether it's our high quality TV or my eyes that need testing?
Old 31 Oct 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2572960)   #21
Piglet
Veteran

Not quite a spotted but that should have been Rod Marshment chequered flagging there!
Old 31 Oct 2009, 14:40 (Ref:2572992)   #22
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sure one pair was black and the others were a dark grey. not spotted the infamous Mr Kelly yet
picking a race time of dusk is inspired tho, the place looks fantastic and everyone who got to go should be proud of being picked for such a fantastic facility.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 15:37 (Ref:2573012)   #23
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Weren't they all in black? I don't know whether it's our high quality TV or my eyes that need testing?
Yes, the picture that BJ posted on Facebook showed him in supplied black overalls. But saw others were wearing orange so presume supply problems didn't resolve themselves for all.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2573050)   #24
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look to be a couple of Marshals behind catch fencing in the pit lane tunnel exit.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 18:05 (Ref:2573091)   #25
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Noted the changed reference from "guys" - but like Piglet says, I'm one of the "guys" so no offence.

Just nice to hear reference made to UK marshals - so who is going to make it for a live (or recorded) interview????