Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 23 Dec 2009, 20:36 (Ref:2604376)   #1
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Left turn only

So this started off as a bit of fun, that I once again got carried away with.

I'm going to post it now as I'm getting carried away with architectural details that don't actually relate to the track. The one obvious omission to the grandstands is entrances so forgive me those.

The Ovals details

Length 1.54 miles (2.464 km)
Straights 0.45 mile (714.58m)
Front Stretch 3 degrees.
Back stretch 5 degrees.
Corners 12 degrees.

Arca would run 100 laps.
200 mile Nationwide or Truck series race of 130 laps.
500 mile Cup race of 325 laps.
300 mile Indy Car Series event over 195 laps.

Some of the colours may appear a bit strange, but that is simply to aid viewing as Sketch-up doesn't do lots of Grey and White very well, likewise the fencing.
Comments, Criticisms and possible edits are welcome as always
Attached Thumbnails
1_54 mile oval Top View.jpg   1_54 mile oval T1.jpg   1_54 mile oval T2.jpg  

1_54 mile oval T3.jpg   1_54 mile oval blimp view.jpg   1_54 mile oval blimp view 2.jpg  

Old 23 Dec 2009, 22:08 (Ref:2604417)   #2
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny: I'm doing the finishing touches of my new one that also has a central oval section - only it's not a classic oval as the curves are not banked.

As for this one - as a European i never really took on liking ovals - quite frankly, to me one looks just like the other

so, for me this one is as good nd great as any of the existing ones.

bio

PS: I don't say there's anything wrong about (racing on) ovals, it's just tht i don't really like them, that's all.
Old 24 Dec 2009, 09:08 (Ref:2604582)   #3
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why did you post this. It's just another oval. Nothing special at all. your tracks are usualy good but this is just rubish.
Old 24 Dec 2009, 10:34 (Ref:2604609)   #4
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quintin, cut it.

You may not like a track, you may think it's not a good one, but still, please, be nice. Just because you don't like a track design it's not rubbish. For an oval this looks to me to be a perfectly good one.

Happy Christmas to you too.

bio
Old 24 Dec 2009, 11:36 (Ref:2604624)   #5
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not that it's bad. It's more that i'd expected more. Anyway i'd change the transition to the banking. Instead of drawing a line from the highest point to the lowest point draw one between the points that are avarage. Can you understand that?
These images should help. the first shows your way, the second mine.
And still I disagree with Bio, this track is nothing special. An experienced track designer like you should be able to come with something better though oval design is another beast as a whole. I haven't seen any previous ovals of your hand so I can't say how experienced you are in that part of the trade. I apologise if that's what you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Banking verkeerd.jpg   Banking goed.jpg  
Old 24 Dec 2009, 14:20 (Ref:2604670)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As I said in the original post, criticism is welcome, so I have no issue with that.

I have attempted ovals before and they are very difficult to get correct. This one is the most technically accurate that I've posted.
The one thing I always attempt to get right is the scale, so although it may not be apparent from the captured images, I haven't just picked the banking values out of thin air, the 3D circuit genuinely has those corners and straights at those angles.

You are correct in saying that ovals are a different beast altogether, and for me this was a challenge away from my normal "road course".

If you don't like the outcome then fair enough you are entitled to your opinion.

Personally I'm pleased with the with the finished design.
Old 24 Dec 2009, 16:16 (Ref:2604707)   #7
bio
Veteran

Hungary
In that case sorry for butting in.

bio
Old 24 Dec 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2604710)   #8
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quintin,
I never said this track was anything special. You're arguing against an opinion i never voiced. What i said was that to me it seems a perfectly good oval.

bio
Old 25 Dec 2009, 00:01 (Ref:2604868)   #9
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
xlr8r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try hiding some of the lines that you do not want to be visible. Also the turns are a little blocky. Try connecting multiple curves in sketchup to create a more rounded curve. Look what I did in my oval track in sketchup, The American Arc.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114172

Each turn is made up of 2 curves. This makes it 8 curves total instead of 2. It ends up being a lot less blocky and angular looking. Also hiding all the lines that make up the banking really makes for a cleaner more professional looking model.

Next time try to make the oval more original in shape. There are already lots of symmetrical 1.5 mile ovals in the world. Yours is a lot like Homestead-Miami.

Overall though good first oval attempt. They do take a long time to make in sketchup. Thats why I have only done one. However the are very simple to sketch with pencil and paper.