Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Apr 2010, 22:04 (Ref:2676961)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Safety car - now not "releasing" lapped cars?

Just something I noticed from the China race, I see the safety car did not release the lapped cars to unlap themselves.

Has this rule bitten the dust?
Old 21 Apr 2010, 05:42 (Ref:2677095)   #2
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Yes they definitely did.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 06:13 (Ref:2677101)   #3
WapFlap
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
WapFlap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They did untill they caught the leaders. Chandhok was a sitting duck when the restart took place. So I guess the rules are a bit changed, that they can pass untill the leader is behind the safetycar? Or am i Wrong?
Old 21 Apr 2010, 08:04 (Ref:2677138)   #4
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The safety car has a green light on top (to tell cars to pass) and waits until the leader catches him at which point the light goes to yellow. Any lapped cars directly behind the leader stay there.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 08:12 (Ref:2677142)   #5
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As it should be.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 15:06 (Ref:2677359)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think what Sodemo is getting at is that in the last few years, whenever a safety car was out, the lapped cars were "waved through" towards the end of each safety car period so as when the restart took place, the leaders were all line astern with no lapped cars in the way.

I noticed this too at China that this rule has been abolished
Old 21 Apr 2010, 17:49 (Ref:2677430)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
I think what Sodemo is getting at is that in the last few years, whenever a safety car was out, the lapped cars were "waved through" towards the end of each safety car period so as when the restart took place, the leaders were all line astern with no lapped cars in the way.

I noticed this too at China that this rule has been abolished
Right.

Any idea why?
Old 21 Apr 2010, 18:00 (Ref:2677436)   #8
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
TFHarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it kind of makes a mockery of the reason the safety car is out on track - "lets let the backmarkers through to mow down the marshals on track"

The safety car is out so that some obstruction that cannot be cleared under yellow flags can be removed from the track (in most cases).

They should not let any cars through if they were using the safety car for the proper reason which is instead of having to show a red flag and stopping the race.

They are not supposed to be used (as seems to be case sometimes) to bunch the cars back up because the race is split up too much.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2677445)   #9
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFHarv View Post
it kind of makes a mockery of the reason the safety car is out on track - "lets let the backmarkers through to mow down the marshals on track"
As far as I can remember last year they waited until marshals had finished their work and the track was clear before waving lapped cars through.

I suspect the change to not unlapping lapped cars and the other change to no overtaking after the safety car line instead of start/finish are related. A major reason for getting rid of lapped cars is that if they were slow to get going others near the sharp end of the race couldn't overtake them until start finish and lost time on the leaders, under the current arrangements they can do so rather sooner.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 18:27 (Ref:2677456)   #10
RichardC27
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cheshire
RichardC27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFHarv View Post
i
They should not let any cars through if they were using the safety car for the proper reason which is instead of having to show a red flag and stopping the race.
If you don't let the cars through though it can completely screw your race. Say, for example, you are sitting in 4th place, and the safety car picks you up first.

By not letting everybody through, the top three gain the best part of a lap on you and the rest of the field. Your race is ruined from that point on, hence why they let the field through. Having seen quite a few GT and club races totally spoiled in this way I'm glad the rule is in place.

I do agree with your point about the red flag, but that will never come back into F1 because of TV requirements.