Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 17 May 2010, 00:43 (Ref:2692129)   #1
Mecatech
Rookie

Mecatech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wiring

Hi, I am rebuilding a wiring harness for an ex BTCC Primera.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't eliminate relays for the fuel pumps, radiator fan, wipers, etc. by using switches rated for enough current in each circuit?

The switch panel is very close to the battery and fuse box so I thought that by eliminating the relays the resulting harness would be simpler and maybe even lighter. Thanks!
Old 17 May 2010, 03:45 (Ref:2692172)   #2
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecatech View Post
Hi, I am rebuilding a wiring harness for an ex BTCC Primera.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't eliminate relays for the fuel pumps, radiator fan, wipers, etc. by using switches rated for enough current in each circuit?

The switch panel is very close to the battery and fuse box so I thought that by eliminating the relays the resulting harness would be simpler and maybe even lighter. Thanks!
no reason why you can't eliminate these relays. Sometimes a fuel pump relay is wired to the ECU so that the fuel pump will only run if the engine is running, that is a safety feature, and required by the FIA in many international classes. There is no valid reason why headlights, wipers etc. need to be run through relays, as long as the switches are rated to carry the current, and you are already aware of this anyway.
I have made a lot of race car wiring looms (several hundred over the years) and the simpler you can make them, the better in my opinion. Less is more.
Old 17 May 2010, 06:41 (Ref:2692236)   #3
Mecatech
Rookie

Last edited by Mecatech; 17 May 2010 at 06:43. Reason: repost
Old 17 May 2010, 06:41 (Ref:2692237)   #4
Mecatech
Rookie

Just what I wanted to hear from the right guy, thanks!
Old 21 May 2010, 14:57 (Ref:2695486)   #5
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Rubinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecatech View Post
It may be simpler but I doubt lighter as you'll be using longer lengths of heavier, high current wire in place of the lighter low current wire driving the switches. The switches will be heavier and more expensive too. There's a danger that a dirty great switch will "bounce" causing power fluctuations which is much less likely to happen with a small switch and relay. All this said, your loom will be simpler and easier to debug and provided the circuits aren't mission critical the benefits might outweigh the potential pitfalls.
Old 22 May 2010, 07:57 (Ref:2695830)   #6
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would just ask myself why a professional team would go to the "trouble" of using relays if they were not a "better" solution?

Regards

Jim
Old 22 May 2010, 09:01 (Ref:2695846)   #7
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Rubinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
I would just ask myself why a professional team would go to the "trouble" of using relays if they were not a "better" solution
They are a more reliable and technically better solution which is why professional race teams do use them. The OP is talking about rewiring a car himself and for it to be reliable enough and easy to maintain. Provided the OP is aware of the potential issues with this solution and is happy with the trade offs then his approach is valid.

The really professional outfits are using solid state power control systems instead of pop-out fuses and relays now. These bring huge benefits over old high current wiring methods including intelligent control of individual circuits, automatic retrying of tripped (failed) currents and interfacing with data loggers. The solutions are cost effective too as pop-outs and motorsport relays are expensive to buy and time consuming to put together.
Old 23 May 2010, 02:09 (Ref:2696320)   #8
Mecatech
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubinho View Post
They are a more reliable and technically better solution which is why professional race teams do use them. The OP is talking about rewiring a car himself and for it to be reliable enough and easy to maintain. Provided the OP is aware of the potential issues with this solution and is happy with the trade offs then his approach is valid.

The really professional outfits are using solid state power control systems instead of pop-out fuses and relays now. These bring huge benefits over old high current wiring methods including intelligent control of individual circuits, automatic retrying of tripped (failed) currents and interfacing with data loggers. The solutions are cost effective too as pop-outs and motorsport relays are expensive to buy and time consuming to put together.
+ logic gates to do all kinds of interesting stuff. I wish I could have used one of those ($)