Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 21 Jul 2010, 14:30 (Ref:2730179)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Duckworth Park

Yes, the second in as many days from me, there's a third that needs finishing off too ...

Duckworth Park, named after Cosworth founder Keith Duckworth, is a 4548m long circuit set in the rolling hills of Southern England (not factored in to length, or done on Sketchup, last time I tried elevation changes it went hideously wrong, and I like the layout so didn't want to mess this one up). There is also a 3048m short circuit, bypassing the top hairpin section, using an additional chicane on the pit straight and using an alternative first corner section. Both variants run anticlockwise.

The main pit straight slopes slightly downhill in to the first corner, a reasonably slow left hander which rapidly tightens in to T2/3, a left near hairpin and right 90 degree turn taken as one corner.

A long straight leads in to the right hand hairpin at T4, which should be a good overtaking sport after mistakes in the opening complex. A second long straight and tighter hairpin at the Top Hairpin will reward a good exit from T4.

T6 is a gentle medium to high speed 90 degree left, curving in to the 180 degree T7 right hander. The first two thirds or so of the course is about speed, but the final third about cornering.

T7 leads on to an opening double apex high speed right hander (turns 8 and 9), which becomes the curved braking zone for the last two corners on the full circuit, the chicane at turns 10 and 11.
Attached Thumbnails
Duckworth Park Chopper (last section end).png   Duckworth Park Chopper (T1 end).png   Duckworth Park Satellite.png  

Old 21 Jul 2010, 16:10 (Ref:2730220)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
A very Tilke esque track (don't take that as a criticism). I think it's a cool track if the final chicane isn't used. I can see why it's there, though - It could be a useful addition to the shorter circuit.

I'd be really interested to see how a Formula 1 car would cope round there.

I like it.

Selby
Old 21 Jul 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2730225)   #3
Litchfield
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville
Litchfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd agree on it being Tilke-esque, although in a good way. The two hairpins are good overtaking spots, but also reward a smooth drive with the long straights behind them, putting a premium on a good exit. I also like the fast sweepers and the long double apex. Really good flow.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 16:35 (Ref:2730228)   #4
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree, a good one here.

The only thing is that after the first third it's pretty much stop-n-go, full throttle-grake like hell-full throttle-break like hell - and many drivers are said not to like it too much.

Unlike us here, in this forum

bio
Old 21 Jul 2010, 17:37 (Ref:2730253)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
The only thing is that after the first third it's pretty much stop-n-go, full throttle-grake like hell-full throttle-break like hell - and many drivers are said not to like it too much.
You mean the last third - it's anticlockwise Nothing that would stop it being run in the other direction, though. Some tracks are licensed to go both ways, I think Knockhill is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
A very Tilke esque track (don't take that as a criticism). I think it's a cool track if the final chicane isn't used. I can see why it's there, though - It could be a useful addition to the shorter circuit.

I'd be really interested to see how a Formula 1 car would cope round there.

I like it.

Selby
Thanks. I agree it would be nice to drive these tracks - I think there's a physics thing for sketchup, possibly using that as a basis it would be great if someone were to cook up a simulator where you can drive a .skp.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 18:23 (Ref:2730267)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh this is something i've desperately wanted for some time.

Selby
Old 22 Jul 2010, 08:53 (Ref:2730509)   #7
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
You mean the last third - it's anticlockwise
Of course.

Sorry, I was being an idiot