Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Aug 2010, 14:56 (Ref:2747154)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kind of sums up what TC racing should be.

I wish something like this would happen in the next few years.

I'm concerned for the well being of the WTCC right now. Hopefully in the next few years if the organisers can get their acts together we maybe might see something like this.

Kind of sums up what TC racing should be. Rather then having one large World Touring Car Championship, why not have something like a four round World Touring Car Cup that brings all of the drivers and teams from around the world. You then could expand on the ETCC, the forthcomming AsTCC, and maybe have some Pan-American touring car championship, with the WTCC bring it all together.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 16:04 (Ref:2747186)   #2
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow - look at the size of that grid! I'm not surprised there were several collisions Murray!
Old 19 Aug 2010, 18:08 (Ref:2747243)   #3
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know, it was when supertouring was in its prime. I feel you don't get that sort of experience from S2000. It feels rather "tame" compared to supertourers.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 08:56 (Ref:2747502)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Of course this is the perfect example how touring car racing should be: 42 cars, all factory teams and professional drivers.

I think if you put 40 S2000 cars on the grid you get the same, especially if it are factory teams with professional drivers.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 12:29 (Ref:2747571)   #5
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was crazy. Is it so hard to recreate that super touring spec? A control engine like NGTC has set up and such ok but wow at least I remember that magic . S2000 and the weird rules in speed world challenge really make touring car look like club racing
Old 20 Aug 2010, 12:34 (Ref:2747573)   #6
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post

I think if you put 40 S2000 cars on the grid you get the same, especially if it are factory teams with professional drivers.
I kinda doubt there are even 40 somewhat up-to-date S2000 cars out there right now that are regularly raced...
Old 20 Aug 2010, 12:58 (Ref:2747582)   #7
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
That was crazy. Is it so hard to recreate that super touring spec? A control engine like NGTC has set up and such ok but wow at least I remember that magic . S2000 and the weird rules in speed world challenge really make touring car look like club racing
NGTC isn't spec engine, it's just that there is an option for teams to use the Swindon one if they don't want to develop their own.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 13:06 (Ref:2747587)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
It would be great if there was an end of year touring car world cup at a different venue, Donnington, Spa, Mugello etc. Trouble is, that I guess the costs would have to be low so that probably rules out going out of Europe.

NGTC is interesting, I just hope that we can get a widely adopted standard into touring car racing as I think there is too much series division now with multiple series running to different rules.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 13:31 (Ref:2747599)   #9
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Get rid of WTCC and that is how Touring cars could end up. How many WTCC drivers could come back to national touring car level if there were no WTCC?
Old 20 Aug 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2747692)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I kinda doubt there are even 40 somewhat up-to-date S2000 cars out there right now that are regularly raced...
Don't know but just wanted to comment on Rosputniks opinion. I think if you put 40 S2000 cars on the grid you get the same spectacle as during the ST days. Rosputnik thinks it will not.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 18:19 (Ref:2747709)   #11
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Don't know but just wanted to comment on Rosputniks opinion. I think if you put 40 S2000 cars on the grid you get the same spectacle as during the ST days. Rosputnik thinks it will not.
I was mainly just being grumpy...
Old 23 Aug 2010, 09:03 (Ref:2748834)   #12
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Quote:
I do think you would get the same sort of spectacle with that many cars reguardless of regulations or even series, but I do think S2000 doesn't have the same sort of impact that supertouring had when there are about 20 cars or so.

However I do wonder if more there was more varitey in car makes and if the cars were slightly faster in S2000 I think it could be on par with supertouring.

I guess its mainly I grew up watching the BTCC when there were supertourers and I do have moments when I think back with rose tinted glasses, so I don't think that helps with my opinion of S2000.

- To add a point as well, I don't think the dominating Seat Leon TDI also helped my opinion.

Last edited by I Rosputnik; 23 Aug 2010 at 09:28.