Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Nov 2010, 19:29 (Ref:2787198)   #1
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any of the UK racers going to Amon Festival at Hampton Down in 2011?

Last year there was a big turnout for the Bruce McLaren Festival, so far I have not heard of anyone going down this year?
Yes, I know its along way to NZ and that fees have gone up and it a one circuit Festival this year, but it still a lot of fun
So who is going?
Old 15 Nov 2010, 05:42 (Ref:2790834)   #2
Racer Rog
Rookie

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Racer Rog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Southern Speed Fest

If there are people coming on down to NZ, there is also a series that si running after Hampton Downs, in the South island, well worth alook
Rog
Old 15 Nov 2010, 08:09 (Ref:2790849)   #3
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Chris - glad you are making it again. However, not sure at this stage how many overseas entrants will make it.

Unofficially, I had heard that fewer than expected this time from overseas so far. No surprise really, as coming down here just 12 months after the last visit might be a bit tough for many.

Locally, the 2011 fees are well out of kilter now, with a compulsory $300NZ (about 145GBP) on top of the race entry fees, for marquee space. As I have a garage on site, I really thought that this was a bit over the top for locals and I withdrew my race entry.

The organisers want to 'tidy up' the paddock area by going to marquees for each class. Not sure that it is a good move as apart from the cramped massive marquee of 2010, I thought the paddock was fascinating.

Entries close Nov 30th. The number of cars on a saloon/sports/GT grid has now been raised to 46 from last year's 30 or so. Hopefully the organisers will relent and allow those of us who wanted to support the event to enter at a fair cost.

There is a 20% discount on entry fees for overseas entrants. The 2010 event lost a lot of money so I hope they see sense and fill the grids...
Old 15 Nov 2010, 12:14 (Ref:2790974)   #4
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
Hi Ray

We are looking forward to a return trip and in a way its great to see more locals racing, we can see the British racers most months back here!

Would have preferred 2 different circuits over 2 weekends but what the heck Hampton is good for the spectators, the viewing is pretty good.

Some big events such as Silverstone Classic, Classic Le Man's use marquees to house the classes but other such as Spa 6 hours and Dijon do not. Competitors bring their own shelters, but here it is to avoid rain!
Pretty marquees look nice BUT not if they represent under subscribed grids

Hopefully all the grids will be full, how are the other classes looking?
Old 16 Nov 2010, 03:17 (Ref:2791423)   #5
hugo53
Rookie

hugo53 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there is a bit of local resistance to the increase in cost especially that you have to be in the Hampton Downs marquee and pay $345 to do so. Most local guys I have spoken to would rather be in their own tent that is less cramped and save the $345. It should be a top event but the organisers need to rethink the marquee thing if they want lots of locals to turn up.
Bill
Old 16 Nov 2010, 13:04 (Ref:2791567)   #6
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I sadly cannot come this year due to the pending arrival of Wills Junior #3. I have sent the ex-Amon March 701 down to go on static display however.

Roger
Old 18 Nov 2010, 06:45 (Ref:2792442)   #7
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
re #5 - As entries close Nov 30th, we'll just have to wait and see!

We are at the track tomorrow (Friday 19th November) for the track's first birthday, so I'll try and find out what I can and report back.

Roger - sorry you won't make it in 2011 but the photographs I took 2010 are amongst the best I have even taken (new camera helped..) as the variety of the cars was just amazing - a long overdue thank you for your contribution. It will be a change to see the March on four wheels instead of hanging on a wall!

Chris - the one circuit format should make it a lot more enjoyable for the overseas drivers as they won't have the extra hassle of loading up their containers and can enjoy a bit of NZ during the week. I think the organisers are arranging a few side trips and events.

I believe that there is a class for classic motorbikes on weekend one and Muscle Cars for weekend 2.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 09:42 (Ref:2793376)   #8
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Thankfully, the organisers have now made the marquees optional for sports and GT cars! Yippee. That means I will now be entering.

First block of pit garages should be completed by then (concrete has been poured and I think the walls are going up this week). They will be occupied by the F5000s of course.

In 2012, the format will change to celebrate a make of car alternate years. For 2012 BMW is the featured marque and in 2013, I think it will be the Denny Hulme Festival.
In addition to Roger's March, I think the one and only Amon F1 will also be there, a 250F Maserati, V12 BRM, Dino Ferrari and a genuine Cobra etc.

As soon as there is an entry list published, I'll try and remember to post the interesting parts of it on here - if anyone is interested.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 13:11 (Ref:2794685)   #9
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
In addition to Roger's March, I think the one and only Amon F1 will also be there, a 250F Maserati, V12 BRM, Dino Ferrari and a genuine Cobra etc.
Yes, Ron Maydon is taking the Amon down to NZ.
Old 27 Nov 2010, 07:19 (Ref:2796331)   #10
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
http://www.hamptondowns.com/pages/107/latestnews.htm

Pics on this site of the 32 pit garage buildings' progress. Please note that the futuristic control tower has no building commencement date as yet!
Old 16 Jan 2011, 07:04 (Ref:2816277)   #11
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
I had hoped to broadcast some sort of entry list but nothing much seems to have been published yet with just a week to go. Plenty of snippets, but that is about all...
Old 19 Jan 2011, 09:29 (Ref:2817685)   #12
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
With just two days to go before documentation, the entry list is now on the NZFMR website...

300 entries and somewhat surprisingly, with the grid limit at 46 cars for saloons, the largest saloon grid is 34 cars... F5000 has 32 cars though.

Looking at my grid, I think I'll be the slowest this year...
Old 19 Jan 2011, 10:30 (Ref:2817710)   #13
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
Glad to see you are racing Ray - common sense prevails re marquees, its about racing first and foremost
Shame Roger is not coming down, the battles with Rod Jolley in the Cooper last year were superb, but I dont think many Brits are coming along this time.
Hopefully the weather will be kind as wew are noy going to Pukekoke this year
Old 23 Jan 2011, 03:16 (Ref:2819415)   #14
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Well, it looks as though The SpeCTator managed to bring some of that bad weather with him as the rain came in Saturday afternoon and it hasn't stopped since!

Sorry Chris and especially sorry that the Sunday of the first weekend had to be cancelled. They called the meeting off about 10am without a wheel being turned.

Especially tough on all overseas visitors expecting a bit of typical Australasian sunshine at this time of the year, as you will all know Brisbane has also had horrendous floods.

The one thing you can't guarantee when organising a race meeing is the weather...

Hopefully, weekend two will be decent weather. A touch of the famous Chris Amon bad luck?
Old 26 Jan 2011, 08:45 (Ref:2820703)   #15
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
Hey Ray, maybe it is my fault, in 3 trips over, Hampton has been cancelled once and twice at Pukee the meeting has been cut short due to rain.
Lets hope this weekend stay dry
Old 27 Jan 2011, 02:37 (Ref:2821134)   #16
SPman
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
West Australia
SPman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A touch of the famous Chris Amon bad luck?
Oh gawd, don't say that......
Looks like the forecast for this weekend isn't too good, either......
Old 31 Jan 2011, 04:27 (Ref:2823023)   #17
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Friday practice for us - dry - just. Friday qualifying - wet...

Saturday a forecasted cyclone heading our way didn't have any real impact.

Sunday was a typical NZ North Island summer's day. Great day with a fair crowd - but nothing like last year's McLaren festival.

Our last race (Sunday) blighted by a fuel fire in the engine bay of the rear of Gordon Burr's Ferrari that brought out the safety car for a couple of laps. His comment afterwards - "Well at least my new tyres survived..."