Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 3 Aug 2001, 14:57 (Ref:125614)   #1
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Foggy: I would have beaten Doohan

Fogarty claimed he would have beaten five-times 500 GP world champion Mick Doohan if they had ever raced each other. He also admitted that he regretted not making the switch from superbikes to GP's when he had the chance.

Fogarty told the first issue of MCN Sport (published Aug 12) that he would have 'kicked Mick Doohan's arse' if he had ever met him on the track. 'I have only started thinking about it recently, but it is really bugging me now because I know I would have been good enough to beat everyone out there. It really makes me angry when I hear people going on about how hard the 500 GP bikes are to ride. That's rubbish - they're just big 250s and I was always fast on a 250'.

Source: Bloomberg Sports
Old 3 Aug 2001, 23:30 (Ref:125704)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
both riders had brilliant careers in their respective classes - leave it at that
Old 4 Aug 2001, 01:29 (Ref:125730)   #3
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ah humm.... yes carl of coarse you could!
yeah!! what "IF"

Did i ever tell you guys that I could have eaten a pizza faster then both carl and mick together!!That is "IF" I had the chance!! but I didn't, so I guess you'll have to take my word for it!

Both good riders, but like all elite sports people a key part is having a large amounts of self-confidence. Why would anybody give a bike to anyone that didn't think that they were a step above the others?
Old 4 Aug 2001, 01:54 (Ref:125736)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!

oh gee that Foggy cracks me up ...thats made my day hahahahahaha
Old 4 Aug 2001, 08:34 (Ref:125772)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
He's got to be having a joke. He could'nt be serious?

If he were good enough why did'nt he make the switch? Felt sorry for the poor deluded Mick? Did'nt want the extra world wide notoriety of GP Bikes? Was he alergic to the $$$ of GP bikes?

What a loser. He can ride very fast, no doubt. But every time he opens that fat mouth of his, he's begging for someone to shut it for him.

How brave of him to bring this up now, instead of when they were both riding. I think Doohan would have retired on the spot from the fear of that challenge
Old 4 Aug 2001, 12:05 (Ref:125805)   #6
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That just confirms what an arse hole Foggy is and how right I was in thinking this. He was never good enough to ride a 500 and he knows it. He was lucky to fall into a class (formula Ducati) at a time when the competition was questionable (on a world scale) and he rode for the chosen team (ie. Ducati).

This guy is an a r s e hole.

He isn't fit to apply Dubin to Doohan's leathers.
Old 5 Aug 2001, 08:34 (Ref:126061)   #7
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As much as I like you, Foggy...shut up! No one can truly know how they would have gone up against each other in 500s.
Old 5 Aug 2001, 15:15 (Ref:126164)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You Aussies are great. For Chris's sake you beat us at everything anyway so why can't you take a bit of flak once in a while from one of the greatest riders of the last decade.
You cannot argue with facts. OK he was on the dominant bike (like Mick) and he was a works rider but he also finished very well the times he rode a 500 at Donington (home track I know but us Brits don't get given rides easily like you Antipodeans and Spanish). And on bikes he had never ridden before.
I don't personally like the guys attitude either but his mercenary way of dealing with racing and his self belief are unsurpassable. This is why he hated riding against Kocinski and Russell coz they had an advatage over him he would ride the bike over the edge to try and win.
Just that in WSB you can't hang it out as much as on a 500, the bike will only take so much and a twin doesn't slide on Michelins very easily.
Have to say he would have been good to watch and would have won many races but maybe Mick would actually have the edge.
Old 5 Aug 2001, 15:51 (Ref:126182)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
believe me chunder..i think Carl was a fantastic rider ..awesome to watch and full of fire ..which was just great..and Im no doubting his talent at all because he has more of it in one finger than i do in my whole body ..and I agree it would have been great to see him race in 500's on a regular basis..whether he would have won or not is debatable...I personally think that he may have been close but still behind mighty mick.

it is hard to compare the 2 so Im just gonna say they were both champions in their own ways but in different fields.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 04:08 (Ref:126430)   #10
asha
Veteran

Lets put it another way!!
Would Mick have beaten Carl on a SKB????

Mick would would (unlike Carl) ever in public say he would! (but I'm sure he would think to himself that he could).
And even if they did one would always have the advantage of staying in a class he has been dominate in.

I'm sure both would have liked to have a crack at each other.
But trying to compare after the fact is just stupid.
That is why what Carl is competely RETARDED!!!
Old 6 Aug 2001, 04:15 (Ref:126431)   #11
asha
Veteran

Lets put it another way!!
Would Mick have beaten Carl on a SKB????

Mick would never (unlike Carl) in public say he that could! (but I'm sure, to himself, think that he could).
And even if they did race one would always have the advantage of staying in a class he has been dominate in.

I'm sure both would have liked to have a crack at each other.
But trying to compare after the fact is just stupid.
That is why what Carl is competely RETARDED!!!
He is also THE most boring TV commentator.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 07:16 (Ref:126472)   #12
Lazy Boy
Rookie

Lazy Boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing's for sure.... Ol' Fogarty's mouth runs a lot faster than Mick Doohans ... ...

and Hailwood would'a whipped'em both !
Old 6 Aug 2001, 21:31 (Ref:126774)   #13
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrex and Moff, couldn't have said it better myself. Damm shame they didn't get to race each other as it would have been fantastic listening to Foggy's excuses as to why he lost!

And we all think Irvine has a big mouth Nothin' on Foggy

Unfortunately for Foggy,I think he would have been dealt with by Mick the same as that other famous bigmouth, Max 'Black Flag" Biaggi.
Old 7 Aug 2001, 09:27 (Ref:127025)   #14
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK a more reasoned approach.

Doohan raced large four stroke super bikes in Australia in the late '80's. Yamaha OW01's and the like. He consistently beat the world superbike regulars (witness Oran Park 1988) on a non factory bike. He regularly beat the likes of Maggee, Beattie and Mike Dowson who were on equal machinery. These guys (with the exception of Dowson who then was thought to be at the end of his career) went on to win on 500cc two strokes. In short there is a consistency of results across both classes.

Fogarty, I believe had a ride in the 500 class and did abysmally. Hence his move to superbikes. But I could be corrected on this. He may not have been seen by those who count to have even made the grade to start on the grid. I just can't quite remember.
Old 8 Aug 2001, 17:08 (Ref:127680)   #15
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is a situation that has no resolution. Hell, if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass on the ground when he jumped.

Foggy looking back and saying he should have made the move to GP bikes I can respect, and him saying I would have loved to take on Doohan because I think I can beat him is also fair, but to say he would have kicked his arse is a bit over the top.

What we can say is that both destroyed their bodies to the point that we will never find out.
Old 9 Aug 2001, 11:04 (Ref:127989)   #16
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely right...except for the frog as it would probably still bump its ass on the ground when it jumped.