Old 12 Jan 2011, 06:27 (Ref:2814535)   #1
GT-Driver
Rookie

Qatar
Doha-Qatar
GT-Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheese 911

Dear All,

To all 911 lovers I need your comment on that. I have had a similar post before.

I think the 911 could haver been better if it had the engine in the mid-front.

Rear engine has some advantage that it can apply throttle earlier in the corner but I think its disadvantages are little more than its good.

Can you really trail brake into a corner in a 911?!! I havent tried (only in Gran Tourismo-PlayStation) but I dont think so. The engine hanging in the rear plus the centrigugal caused by rotation throws the end out.

The thing is the 911 series is the heart and mainstay of porsche but very sad it can not realise the true porsche's engineering potential (because of its odd engine placement) to offer to the publice in the form of show room cars (production cars)

With the same premiuim engineering from porsche the 911 would handle much better if it had the engine in the mid or front.

That is why porsche doesnt want to make a powerfull Boxter or Cayman. because it would out perform ant 911 including GT2RS.

Same could be said on the Panmera, it is powerfull already but heavy relativly due to its size and long canin. But if they make a light version of it, even would still be heavier than GT2 RS (because the wheel base is very long and huge) but would out perform it anyway.

Why is that? Because it would be more balanced and more reliable corner after corner and much easier to recover if caught in an over-steer.

In fact when I see races and videos lots of porsches just fall in a spin exactly like what I'm referring to in here. One mistake and the back just snaps off. Any comment? or enlightment?!!

Cheese,
Old 15 Jan 2011, 09:24 (Ref:2815982)   #2
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
I've not driven a 911 in anger, but I've raced against them and it's interesting to see the differences over a lap compared to my front engine / rear drive car. The 911s seems a bit nervous under heavy braking and, as you say, they don't seem to trail brake. On the other hand they don't half get the power down early, and can power through bends and chicanes that I have to feather through. So swings and roundabouts - just needs a different driving style. Anyway, it wouldn't be a 911 if they moved the engine - it would be a Carrera GT.
Old 17 Jan 2011, 23:13 (Ref:2817097)   #3
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed, Porsche have succeded in making something which on paper shouldn't work well actually work far better than one would expect, on certain circuits it will be dis-advantaged, on others the opposite as said.