Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Aug 2001, 16:45 (Ref:126657)   #1
renaultbel
Racer

renaultbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hakkinen: I nearly quit

Double World Champion Mika Hakkinen revealed that he seriously considered retiring from Formula One earlier this season after a dismal run of results.

Hakkinen suffered a disastrous start to the current Formula One campaign, sparking mounting speculation he was set to call it quits at the end of this season.

But after driving to a commanding victory in the British Grand Prix at Silverstone last month, the Finn insisted he has no intention of throwing in his driving gloves just yet.

"I think every driver, every year, thinks about retirement," said Hakkinen. "Formula One is racing, which means much more losing than winning, and so it comes to the point when you think to yourself 'I've had enough of travelling and driving these things.'

"It happens. It's happened to me and it's happened to a lot of other drivers. It's a normal thing, but still you look to the future and still you continue," continued the McLaren driver.

"But I know there will come a day, sooner or later, when I will quit. I've been in Formula One for 11 years now, which is a long time. I think a person will feel inside when he is ready to quit. I do think about it but I don't know yet when it will be."

32-year-old Hakkinen said he is still negotiating with McLaren for next season, and he described the talks as "very positive".

He admitted, however, that sooner or later he would have to call it a day, and that when he did, leaving the sport would be a huge wrench.

"When I do retire, finding a job to which I can relate, or is very similar to grand prix racing, is going to be very difficult," he said.

"What I will do when I stop? That's extremely difficult to say. I'm not too comfortable about opening up on that at the moment."

For most of the season, the Finn has been at the centre of rumours that he will retire. He is yet to confirm his future plans but it is thought he will re-sign with McLaren for 2002 at least.

Hakkinen, who started his Formula One career with Lotus in 1991, has driven to 19 Grand Prix victories. In 1993 he joined McLaren, where he claimed back-to-back world championships in 1998 and 1999.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 19:20 (Ref:126730)   #2
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I never saw that coming.
Old 6 Aug 2001, 23:56 (Ref:126843)   #3
AL Racing
Racer

AL Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was probably one of his worst kept secrets, but I'm glad he admitted it, it was written all over his face anyway!

I think he should continue in F1 for a few years to come, but honestly he should go to another team. He's been at McLaren since '93 and teamed up with DC since '96, that's way to long IMO. He needs a chance of enviroment, a new challenge to keep him on the knife-edge i term of speed. He's been very mediocre this season, being lapped in Nurburgring for example, out-qualified by DC several times, when he should be 3-4 tenths faster.

It isn't that DC a of the sudden have become half a second faster, it's Hakkinen who've become slower.
Old 7 Aug 2001, 10:10 (Ref:127038)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AL Racing
It isn't that DC a of the sudden have become half a second faster, it's Hakkinen who've become slower.
So could everyone stop with this 'DC is better than Hakkinen' stuff please!!!!

I agree that Hakkinen might be wise to leave McLaren, but where is there to go which is competitive, and who would want him to, as he has had a terrible season (aside from his win in Britain) and has been somewhat outraced by his team-mate.

As for the article, it's been talked about at length. It's just confirmation of what nearly everyone thought.
Old 7 Aug 2001, 13:55 (Ref:127144)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just keep going Mika !!!
Old 7 Aug 2001, 14:21 (Ref:127153)   #6
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He'll only embarass himself, like Damon did in 99 - better to do a Murray and quit on a high...

I wouldn't be surprised if Schumi won it in 2004 and suddenly quit...
Old 7 Aug 2001, 17:29 (Ref:127214)   #7
AL Racing
Racer

AL Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I agree that Hakkinen might be wise to leave McLaren, but where is there to go which is competitive, and who would want him to, as he has had a terrible season (aside from his win in Britain) and has been somewhat outraced by his team-mate.
I agree, finding a drive at Ferrari or Williams seems pretty unlikely. However, take a team like Jordan, i think they would be delighted to have Hakkinen in their team for next. It would motivate the team and the give them hope to work temselves from this current slump they're having. Hakkinen teaming up with Alesi would make a very strong line-up.
Old 7 Aug 2001, 18:02 (Ref:127225)   #8
Rimrider
Racer

Rimrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say that Jordan would be over the moon to have Hakkinen but I don't think Hakkinen would be to impressed.
Old 7 Aug 2001, 18:49 (Ref:127238)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hakkinen will never drive for another team after McLaren...

believe me.