Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 8 Mar 2011, 09:41 (Ref:2842002)   #1
mikew
Rookie

mikew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mystery Porsche

Hello all,
I am new to your forum and asking for help already. You guys were recommended to me by IMSA. I Have recently aquired what we think is a Porsche 911 GTU for refurbishment. It's in a poor state of repair and no engine. If i could figure out how to get phot's onto your forum I could post and ask for help as the car has no history with it either. It has allegedly raced in USA and Japan and the owner is keen to get the car back to its former glory and race in the UK.
If you think you may be able to help then please reply and I will try to get photo's available.

Many thanks, Mike.
Old 8 Mar 2011, 11:27 (Ref:2842042)   #2
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
one for the historic forum methinks - where's that Piglet when she's needed
Old 8 Mar 2011, 17:25 (Ref:2842230)   #3
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
one for the historic forum methinks - where's that Piglet when she's needed
The whole point of putting it in the marshals' forum is that there are likely to be marshals who have seen it, who probably don't read the Historic Forum. I actually advised IMSA to put it in both marshals' forum and Historic/Mod sport forums to cover the most people who would recognise it.

I've attached the picture here.
Attached Thumbnails
porsche (1).jpg  
Old 8 Mar 2011, 17:32 (Ref:2842234)   #4
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is that a rally Rover 2000 in the backgrouns and a rally Subaru?
Old 8 Mar 2011, 21:42 (Ref:2842339)   #5
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey, forgive my ignorance but that looks like a silhouette
Old 9 Mar 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2842577)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, it's been sent here now although the point re Marshals forum is well made. Unfortunately, this is the 'wrong' historic forum, since Mike is clearly looking for the history of his new interesting acquisition rather than requesting what series he could now run it in, so I'm now moving it to the most appropriate forum (and just for the record we don't tend to allow the same thread in different forums, hence we have to choose which one we think it is most suited to).

Mike, welcome to our site and I hope that our learned contributors are able to provide some assistance.
Old 9 Mar 2011, 13:35 (Ref:2842710)   #7
mikew
Rookie

mikew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks all for your interest. If, and it's looking like a BIG if, we do get any history then we will of course biuld to the required spec'. The more likely outcome will be that we look for the best series to enter for endurance racing in the UK and biuld to that spec. So may well appere in Historic??
Sorry to have caused a bit of a rules problem and thanks again for your help.

Mike.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 10:02 (Ref:2843283)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mike, it was no problem at all.

Now, can anyone help Mike out, here?
Old 10 Mar 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2843502)   #9
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure if links to other forums are allowed, but you will get a good response from

www.ddk-online.com

If you post on there several 'historians' will respond.
I am a member of the site due to my interest in Porsche.

Sorry John if I'm wrong to link.
Graham.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 19:21 (Ref:2843520)   #10
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The front of the car seems to be modelled on the 993, which Porsche introduced in 1993. The sort of rainbow'ish colour scheme made me think of the Jeff Gordon NASCAR, which was also introduced about this time. This seems to suggest a debut of this car as 1993 at the earliest. I think IMSA became World Sports Car in around 1995, to frame the likely period further. But beware, this is pure speculation!

Is it some kind of space frame car based on a single seater? The small diameter rims reminds me of British Super Saloon Skodas of the 1970s and 1980s.

Jesper
Old 11 Mar 2011, 14:10 (Ref:2843981)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
Not sure if links to other forums are allowed, but you will get a good response from

www.ddk-online.com

If you post on there several 'historians' will respond.
I am a member of the site due to my interest in Porsche.

Sorry John if I'm wrong to link.
Graham.
No, there's no problem if it is on topic and we can't help (so far!).
Old 11 Mar 2011, 16:53 (Ref:2844053)   #12
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it a spaceframe ("tube frame", I believe in US parlance) or conventional construction?

I actually seem to remember the car being advertised, but that's no help!
Old 12 Mar 2011, 06:31 (Ref:2844332)   #13
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm with Jesper so far.

The front lights are 993, the front rims are 13" split rims with 'Minilite' centres.
They might be 15's but not to my eye.The smallest rims 911's ran were 14's but most ran 16's till late 80's then up to 16's. You need these larger rims to get over the brakes, so with these being 13's it will be non Porsche (or at least non 911) suspension.

The 13's do point to a 'super saloon' approach bit like my Lola is/was.

We need far more pics!
Old 15 Mar 2011, 08:16 (Ref:2845979)   #14
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe I am wrong but the back of the car really looks like one of those 914-6 that ran in IMSA in the early 70's.
Old 15 Mar 2011, 12:41 (Ref:2846129)   #15
911thillclimber
Veteran

I've linked this quest to the UK DDK web site.
Old 16 Mar 2011, 10:05 (Ref:2846680)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Just a little thought. A chap called Richard Chilton (I think) prepared some highly modified, almost silhouette version of a '959' in the early 90's and ran it in Porsche Club and Intermarque before a terrible accident finished the car and he was injured quite badly.

I wonder if there's any link to this car?
Old 16 Mar 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2846965)   #17
911thillclimber
Veteran

I knew of Richard then from when he was involved in Club Autosport and i think his '911' was based on a real one.

My Porsche friends on DDK have come up with zero!
They suggest the question is posted on the USa Porsche forum site by Pelikan Parts.

Surprised this is so difficult.
The car looks strangely familiar to me from way back.