Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Apr 2011, 11:42 (Ref:2857293)   #1
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2011 Shannons Nationals Motor Racing Championships

Starts this weekend at Wakefield Park with the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge, Radical Australia Cup, Australian Saloon Car Series, Commodore Cup National Series and the Kumho Tyres V8 Touring Car National Series.

Live streaming from 9:30am tomorrow at www.itvlive.com.au
Old 2 Apr 2011, 12:05 (Ref:2857312)   #2
3boogidy
Rookie

3boogidy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thankyou Alfa for your post. It looks like it's going to be a great weekend there. I'm a long time reader here but first time poster and love the Shannons series and the categories in it. I registered because I'm concerned I won't be able to follow it as closely this year.

I was wondering though what was happening with the series because there hasn't been much news about it. Speedcafe have not run anything this weekend (Strange - last year they ran something most days) and the nationals website has been poorly updated with news and stories despite the cool new design. The Twitter hasn't been updated since January which seems pretty poor and the Facebook has also been neglected. Seems pretty slack.

Has there been a change of the people promoting the series? Despite the lower profile the series always had good PR and social networking last year and kept fans like me in touch from a distance - for me, North Queensland. It's a shame. I hope they can get it together because I love following it and will be watching the live stream as much as I can tomorrow.

I would think that despite looking really positive in terms of numbers they would want to really be pushing their social media and website stuff because it's a key way to communicate with fans. It would be a shame to let it slip... Hope they get it sorted.

Boogidy!
Old 2 Apr 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2857499)   #3
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I attended Wakefield yesterday (Saturday) and enjoyed one of those rare beautiful Goulburn days.
In qualifying for the Commodore Cup, all of the usual suspects came out on top including Bates, Zukanovic, Emery, Beechey, Lloyd, Chick and Hughes. There were only about 12 cars which was very disappointing. Most of the drivers hard work during qualifying will actually come to little as names will be drawn out of a hat to determine the starting positions for race 1.
After qualifying for the V8 Touring cars they had a 1 lap run for the top 10 qualifiers where the fastest time scored 10 points right down to 1 point for the 10th fastest time. Terry Wyhoon (Ex SB BA) did the quickest lap followed by Jim Pollicina (Ex Tasman VY). Some of the remaining top ten positions in no particular order were made up of Evangelou (Ex BJR BA), Loadsman (Ex Morris VY), Vergotis, Smerdon and Voight (Ex GRM ? VY).
The other categories included a 12 car field for the Saloon cars which was disappointing and Carrera cup which had a reasonable field with some decent racing.
Old 2 Apr 2011, 22:36 (Ref:2857567)   #4
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Commodore and Saloon fields have taken a hit due to the non-Championship round at Bathurst in 3 weeks time. Obviously with many competitors travelling from interstate the costs/logistics of doing both rounds was prohibitive for some. At the remaining rounds we should be back to normal grid numbers
Old 2 Apr 2011, 22:42 (Ref:2857568)   #5
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
Commodore and Saloon fields have taken a hit due to the non-Championship round at Bathurst in 3 weeks time. Obviously with many competitors travelling from interstate the costs/logistics of doing both rounds was prohibitive for some. At the remaining rounds we should be back to normal grid numbers
Interesting to see then, that they have chosen the opportunity to drive at Bathurst as a priority over the championship.
Old 2 Apr 2011, 23:04 (Ref:2857575)   #6
alfacors
Veteran

I think the more serious guys are running both rounds, but it does have an impact on numbers as youwould expect. Couple more guys to come in GT3 Cup Challenge too.
Old 2 Apr 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2857576)   #7
321ignitionmag
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
321ignitionmag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rnd#1 2011 Shannons Nationals

Fantastic opening day for the first round of the 2011 Shannons Nationals, awesome racing, brilliant fields and people on the hill couldn't have been better.

The debut of Radical Australia Cup with the series, a huge field of Kumho Tyres V8 Touring Cars and great on-track action and some fresh new faces fighting at the front of the field, what more could you want.

Event is live-streaming today on www.itvlive.com.au so log in and check out the action.

The track looks fantastic this morning, weather has dawned bright and sunny, and with two enduros on the cards today, it will be a great day of racing!
Old 2 Apr 2011, 23:42 (Ref:2857591)   #8
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321ignitionmag View Post
Fantastic opening day for the first round of the 2011 Shannons Nationals, awesome racing, brilliant fields and people on the hill couldn't have been better.

The debut of Radical Australia Cup with the series, a huge field of Kumho Tyres V8 Touring Cars and great on-track action and some fresh new faces fighting at the front of the field, what more could you want.

Event is live-streaming today on www.itvlive.com.au so log in and check out the action.

The track looks fantastic this morning, weather has dawned bright and sunny, and with two enduros on the cards today, it will be a great day of racing!
If the hill that you are talking about is the one opposite the pits overlooking the last couple of corners, then there was never any more than 4 or 5 spectators cars and 5 or 6 spectators watching the racing at any one time.
Down around turn 1 there was never any more than 20-30 people at any one time and they were mainly made up of non participating drivers, their pit crews and families. I even overheard a lady say "why isn't anyone here" ?.
Numbers were terrible and it cannot be sugar coated to make it look anything but terrible, especially on a perfect day weather wise.
I am all for supporting this type of racing as i was happy to make the 2.5 hr round trip, however facts are important.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 02:19 (Ref:2857608)   #9
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perfect day today and a few punters around... Good racing so far from Commy Cup (Despite a smallish field) and GT3s (Haven't seen much more). Good fun calling and relaxed atmosphere. Weather is PERFECT.
Old 3 Apr 2011, 13:06 (Ref:2857949)   #10
pug205
Rookie

pug205 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
If the hill that you are talking about is the one opposite the pits overlooking the last couple of corners, then there was never any more than 4 or 5 spectators cars and 5 or 6 spectators watching the racing at any one time.
Down around turn 1 there was never any more than 20-30 people at any one time and they were mainly made up of non participating drivers, their pit crews and families. I even overheard a lady say "why isn't anyone here" ?.
Numbers were terrible and it cannot be sugar coated to make it look anything but terrible, especially on a perfect day weather wise.
I am all for supporting this type of racing as i was happy to make the 2.5 hr round trip, however facts are important.
My brother and I were there and sadly the crowd was just as low as it was at last years round. It is a shame as it is great circuit for spectators and the schedule is full of enjoyable racing.

I must say the lack of promotion or information about the meeting and series as a whole has been sorely lacking this year and does not help get anyone through the gates, let alone motorsport fans (who I feel are a very small number in this country as it is)
Old 3 Apr 2011, 23:02 (Ref:2858283)   #11
alfacors
Veteran

Reload - I didn't see where anyone had posted about huge crowds at Wakefield Park?
Old 4 Apr 2011, 00:15 (Ref:2858314)   #12
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Reload - I didn't see where anyone had posted about huge crowds at Wakefield Park?
Ignition 321 said that there were "people on the hill". To me along with the positive comments that he made regarding the day infers that there was a decent crowd. If i had not attended the day and read those comments, it would have me believe that the day was well attended.
These comments intended to let people know who did not attend that the day was an outstanding success.
The fact is the racing was good, the weather was good, however a few categories had poor numbers and there was hardly anyone there.
There are people who have posted on here who stand to gain by showing a little bias in regard to the success of the day/weekend/event. The facts are Wakefield Park struggles to get any spectators there which is a real shame.
Just telling it as i see it.

Last edited by Reload; 4 Apr 2011 at 00:26.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 01:29 (Ref:2858338)   #13
alfacors
Veteran

My bad, I read a different release and assumed it was the same was was posted. I actually don't agree with the "people on the hill couldn't have been better" statement as it's too ambiguous. Yes, they would have had an enjoyable day out with the great weather and racing, but the number of them could certainly have been better.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 12:14 (Ref:2859112)   #14
alfacors
Veteran

Click here for Round 1 Images

Old 29 Apr 2011, 13:23 (Ref:2871753)   #15
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just looking at the calendar for the rest of the year and it shows that the PI Shannons and The Historic Sandown are both on the same weekend.
If so this is insane, apart from stretching the marshals too thinly, it'll also split any crowd that was going to attend,but also means the media will need to be covering two events in the same state on the same weekend.
We'll probably be down the Island thanks to our wonderful friends at The All Seasons Resort (Shameless Plug) but I'd preferable to be able to do both.
Old 9 May 2011, 14:15 (Ref:2877490)   #16
alfacors
Veteran

Round 2 of the Shannons Nationals is this weekend at Mallala Motorsport Park in SA.

Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge
Kumho Tyres V8 Touring Cars
Kerrick Australian Sports Sedan Series (racing for the Clem Smith Cup)
Australian Swift Series
HQ Holdens
Formula Vees

Rnd#2 2011 Shannons Nationals, Mallala Motor Sport Park – event schedule

Saturday, May 14, 2011
9:00 P1 Australian Swift Sport Series (20 mins)
9:25 P1 Kumho Tyres V8 Touring Car Series (20 mins)
9:50 P1 Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge (20 mins)
10:15 Q1 Kerrick Sports Sedan National Series (25 mins)
10:45 Q1 HQ Holden (20 mins)
11:15 Q1 Formula Vee (15 mins)
11:35 Q1 Kumho Tyres V8 Touring Car Series (20 mins)
12:00 Q1 Australian Swift Sport Series (20 mins)
12:25 Q1 Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge (20 mins)
13:10 Q2 Kerrick Sports Sedan National Series (25 mins)
13:45 TA Kumho Tyres V8 Touring Car Series (20 mins)
14:15 R1 Formula Vee (8 laps)
14:40 R1 HQ Holden (6 laps)
15:05 R1 Australian Swift Sport Series (12 laps)
15:35 R1 Kumho Tyres V8 Touring Car Series (14 laps)
16:05 R1 Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge (40 laps)

Sunday, May 15, 2011
9:00 R2 HQ Holden (6 laps)
9:25 R2 Formula Vee (8 laps)
9:50 R1 Kerrick Sports Sedan National Series (10 laps)
10:20 R2 Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge (14 laps)
10:50 R2 Kumho Tyres V8 Touring Car Series (14 laps)
11:20 R2 Australian Swift Sport Series (12 laps)
11:50 R2 Clem Smith Cup (15 laps)
Kerrick Sports Sedan National Series
12:50 R2 HQ Holden (8 laps)
13:20 R2 Formula Vee (8 laps)
13:50 R3 Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge (14 laps)
14:20 R3 Kumho Tyres V8 Touring Car Series (14 laps)
14:50 R3 Australian Swift Sport Series (12 laps)
15:20 R3 Kerrick Sports Sedan National Series (10 laps)
15:50 R4 HQ Holden (10 laps)
16:20 R4 Formula Vee (8 laps)

Gates open 8:30am (Saturday and Sunday).Tickets; $25 (Saturday), $35 (Sunday) – weekend pass $50, Kids under-14 FREE (free access to pits/paddock).
Old 10 May 2011, 02:55 (Ref:2877858)   #17
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Round 2 of the Shannons Nationals is this weekend at Mallala Motorsport Park in SA.

Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge
Kumho Tyres V8 Touring Cars
Kerrick Australian Sports Sedan Series (racing for the Clem Smith Cup)
Australian Swift Series
HQ Holdens
Formula Vees

Gates open 8:30am (Saturday and Sunday).Tickets; $25 (Saturday), $35 (Sunday) – weekend pass $50, Kids under-14 FREE (free access to pits/paddock).
Looks like a good programme, I hope they get a decent crowd.
Old 10 May 2011, 23:52 (Ref:2878494)   #18
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Recently heard about Pro Sports starting soon racing under the Shannon Nationals, anyone know anything else about this?
Old 11 May 2011, 00:50 (Ref:2878500)   #19
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am confident they won't get any sort of crowd at all and a large part of the reason is the $35 admission.Any price for a Nationals round over $25 is too much to attract anyone but the diehards of which there are only a few hundred in each state judging on the last few years.
Old 11 May 2011, 01:01 (Ref:2878505)   #20
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too have heard this Rich- interested if it happens.

If it does how can the country support 2 pro GT categories? Am I the only one who remembers 2008 and how badly it all went when everyone wanted to do their own GT show???
Old 11 May 2011, 01:31 (Ref:2878508)   #21
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo View Post
I too have heard this Rich- interested if it happens.

If it does how can the country support 2 pro GT categories? Am I the only one who remembers 2008 and how badly it all went when everyone wanted to do their own GT show???
Im guessing its catering for those who want to run their GT cars without having to deal with the stupidity and ineptitude of Aus GT management? Official announcement soon. Apparently running to FIA GT rules, all latest cars eligible unlike Aus GT. Is this where the Mercedes SLS is heading?

This could have legs but it depends a lot on those who have the cars to enter in the first place.
Old 11 May 2011, 01:37 (Ref:2878509)   #22
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 12 May 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2879619)   #23
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
I am confident they won't get any sort of crowd at all and a large part of the reason is the $35 admission.Any price for a Nationals round over $25 is too much to attract anyone but the diehards of which there are only a few hundred in each state judging on the last few years.
Has there been any promo/advertising?

Are promoters a thing of the past?
Old 17 May 2011, 13:51 (Ref:2881652)   #24
alfacors
Veteran

Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge, Kumho Tyres V8 Touring Cars, Kerrick Sports Sedans and Australia Swift Racing Series images are now online

http://shannonsnationals.speedshots..../2011/2011_r2/

Formula Vees and HQs to come tomorrow night.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 23:51 (Ref:2900651)   #25
321ignitionmag
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
321ignitionmag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Round 3 of the Shannons Nationals Motor Racing Championships at Winton 24-26 June.

Kerrick Sports Sedan Series
Radical Australia Cup
Commodore Cup
Saloon Cars
Australian Swift Racing Series
HQ Holdens

Event Schedule

Saturday, June 25, 2011

9:00 P1 Australian Swift Racing Series (15 mins)
9:20 Q1 Radical Australia Cup [A driver] (15 mins)
9:40 Q1 Australian Saloon Car Series (20 mins)
10:05 Q1 Kerrick Sports Sedan National Series (25 mins)
10:35 Q1 Australian Swift Racing Series (15 mins)
10:55 QA Commodore Cup National Series [A driver] (20 mins)
11:20 Q2 Radical Australia Cup [B driver] (15 mins)
11:40 Q1 HQ Holden (15 mins)
12:00 Q2 Australian Saloon Car Series (20 mins)
12:30 Q2 Kerrick Sports Sedan National Series (25 mins)
13:05 QB Commodore Cup National Series [B driver] (20 mins)
13:35 R1 Radical Australia Cup (10 laps)
14:05 R1 HQ Holden (8 laps)
14:35 R1 Australian Swift Racing Series (9 laps)
15:05 R1 Australian Saloon Car Series (9 laps)
15:35 R2 Radical Australia Cup (10 laps)
16:05 R1 Commodore Cup National Series (45 mins)

Sunday, June 26, 2011

9:00 R1 Kerrick Sports Sedan National Series (10 laps)
9:30 R2 Australian Swift Racing Series (9 laps)
10:00 R2 HQ Holden (8 laps)
10:30 R2 Australian Saloon Car Series (9 laps)
11:00 warmup Commodore Cup National Series (10 mins)
11:15 warmup Radical Australia Cup (10 mins)
11:30 R3 Australian Swift Racing Series (9 laps)
12:00 R2 Kerrick Sports Sedan National Series (10 laps)
12:30 Officials Break
13:00 R3 Australian Saloon Car Series (9 laps)
13:30 R3 HQ Holden (8 laps)
14:00 R2 Commodore Cup National Series (45 mins)
14:55 R3 Radical Australia Cup (50 mins)
16:00 R3 Kerrick Sports Sedan National Series (10 laps)
16:25 R4 HQ Holden (10 laps)

Gates open 7am (Saturday and Sunday).Tickets; $15 (Saturday), $25 (Sunday). Kids 15 & under FREE when accompanied by an adult (free access to pits/paddock).