Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jul 2011, 07:58 (Ref:2929292)   #1
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Electric powered F1 cars

http://www.pitpass.com/44236-FIA-con...itlane-in-2014

http://www.thef1times.com/news/display/03991

Pointless, idiotic and environmentally friendly claptrap
Old 21 Jul 2011, 08:02 (Ref:2929294)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Don't worry about it, it's only in the pits...

Selby
Old 21 Jul 2011, 08:23 (Ref:2929302)   #3
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know it is only in the pits, however it will make pit stops a non spectacle when trackside.

The noise is such an integeral part of the spectacle. Imagine the sound of silence during the pre show.

It is further signs the FIA are sucking the life out of the sport.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 08:51 (Ref:2929307)   #4
mikenunn-78
Racer

United Kingdom
mikenunn-78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone still think the putting sprinklers around the circuit is too far fetched! This idea is even more ludicrous
Old 21 Jul 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2929319)   #5
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
At the risk of, well, something, I'm in favour. I'd go electric final drive for the race as well. Get rid of the gearbox completely.

I don't care about the noise (even though it's impressive). I prefer racing.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 09:40 (Ref:2929322)   #6
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good grief. F1 really does plumb new depths in its ongoing crusade to drive out all soul from the sport.

And I hope you're being sarcastic, James.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 09:43 (Ref:2929324)   #7
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Hope they have a lot of run off areas at the end of the pit lane when the engines fail to start and succumb to heat soak.

On the plus side I guess you have a 120 kw starter motor and maybe just maybe could do a slow lap on the KERS.

Is this technology in order that F1 has relevance to golf carts as well?
Old 21 Jul 2011, 09:53 (Ref:2929331)   #8
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
Good grief. F1 really does plumb new depths in its ongoing crusade to drive out all soul from the sport.

And I hope you're being sarcastic, James.
Nope.

Electric is the way to go.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 10:07 (Ref:2929344)   #9
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
You'd certainly want to drive every ancillary off the electrical system!
Old 21 Jul 2011, 10:39 (Ref:2929362)   #10
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey29 View Post
I know it is only in the pits, however it will make pit stops a non spectacle when trackside.
Really?

I for one can't wait for the sound of a thoroughbred F1 engine wheezing it's way down the pitlane on half-cylinders to die out. They'll still sound just as spectacular out on track.

Anyway, ignoring the environmental concerns for a minute, surely in terms of making the cars faster, this is a good thing. energy recovery means less fuel required at the start of races, so lighter and therefore faster cars throughout the race.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 11:44 (Ref:2929386)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh i'm all for this - It doesn't interfere with anything, so I don't see what problem it's causing tbh.

Selby
Old 21 Jul 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2929390)   #12
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A quick read in the proposed 2014 regulations learned me that the series will be further regulated. From 2014, 'homologated' gear ratios will be used. Ridiculous.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2929396)   #13
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
A quick read in the proposed 2014 regulations learned me that the series will be further regulated. From 2014, 'homologated' gear ratios will be used. Ridiculous.
Yeah I noticed that, and I think that's more of a problem than anything to do with the noise. How can they have gear ratios to accommodate an entire seasons's worth of circuits? And if they are trying to promote a 'green' image, gear ratios that do not make full use of the engine's capabilities aren't 'green' at all. Or am I missing something?
Old 21 Jul 2011, 12:55 (Ref:2929419)   #14
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Taylor View Post
Really?

I for one can't wait for the sound of a thoroughbred F1 engine wheezing it's way down the pitlane on half-cylinders to die out. They'll still sound just as spectacular out on track.

Anyway, ignoring the environmental concerns for a minute, surely in terms of making the cars faster, this is a good thing. energy recovery means less fuel required at the start of races, so lighter and therefore faster cars throughout the race.
So efficient in fact that they have to increase the weight of the cars to accommodate the additional junk, and then legislate its use because ballast is more efficient than the stupide KERS system.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 12:56 (Ref:2929420)   #15
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
Yeah I noticed that, and I think that's more of a problem than anything to do with the noise. How can they have gear ratios to accommodate an entire seasons's worth of circuits? And if they are trying to promote a 'green' image, gear ratios that do not make full use of the engine's capabilities aren't 'green' at all. Or am I missing something?
On the contrary I'd say you were spot on!
Old 21 Jul 2011, 14:55 (Ref:2929463)   #16
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh homologated gear ratio is a no-no. This is team strategy effort and engineering work. This make one team figure out a circuit while another flounder. Unless it is homologated construction and material. All electric in the pits is mh.. does it make sense in a safety standpoint? Maybe electric start at the lights as well and engines actually fire after they get rolling.. it when will it stop. This would make sense if they still refueled in the pits.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2929497)   #17
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
I don't care about the noise (even though it's impressive). I prefer racing.
Did you miss the meeting? You are officially barred from any view in which 'the noise'[tm] isn't the racing in toto. All that wheel to wheel action at 200mph is actually just an excuse for a bit of engine noise.

Some one will be trotting out some clap about people getting run down in the pits from 'stealth' quiet F1 cars next.

We all love the noise, especially at the track, but come on - this is only the pit lane.

Last edited by ChrisPage; 21 Jul 2011 at 17:52.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2929498)   #18
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenunn-78 View Post
Does anyone still think the putting sprinklers around the circuit is too far fetched! This idea is even more ludicrous
No, no it isn't.

Do you really think losing the engine noise from the pit lane (while all the noise is still on track) is worse than playing Mraio Kart with Power-Up sprinklers?

Sense of proportion much?
Old 21 Jul 2011, 21:55 (Ref:2929605)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lola and Drayson Racing are collaberating on an electric powered car:

http://www.draysonracingtechnologies...ollaboration-7
Old 21 Jul 2011, 22:56 (Ref:2929639)   #20
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not a gear head so excuse me if I mis-understand.

It's the same 8 ratios for the full season, so they will have to run a full season with a first gear suitable for Lowes Hairpin in Monaco and 8th gear for the straights of Monza ?

Surely they would end up racing Monaco in 1st to 6th gears only, and Monza in 3rd to 8th. I dread to think of Canada with slow chicanes and the long straights.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 04:30 (Ref:2929674)   #21
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I'm not a gear head so excuse me if I mis-understand.

It's the same 8 ratios for the full season, so they will have to run a full season with a first gear suitable for Lowes Hairpin in Monaco and 8th gear for the straights of Monza ?

Surely they would end up racing Monaco in 1st to 6th gears only, and Monza in 3rd to 8th. I dread to think of Canada with slow chicanes and the long straights.
And to make this work they will have to design engines with a wider power band which (to use a controversial phrase) will make the whole game more road relevant, no coincidence that this change has appeared at the same time as the switch to Turbo engines.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 05:14 (Ref:2929684)   #22
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lucky this tread is in print and visible. If it was audio the industrial deafness brought on by a lifetime exposure to ic engines would prevent me from getting involved.
Can I suggest 2 forms of racing. That which is using cutting edge up to date technology, with rules favouring it's development, or else some form of veteran or historic racing for those stuck in the past. Don't know if we need to go back as far as having a bloke with a red flag walk in front of the cars, but you get what I mean.
Perhaps we could arrange race meetings where the main crowd watched the modern cars race and those who needed a fix could hire a set of headphones which blasted the senses out of the wearer.
Might get a lot of circuits around the world out of some planning permission problems too.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 07:35 (Ref:2929702)   #23
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
And to make this work they will have to design engines with a wider power band which (to use a controversial phrase) will make the whole game more road relevant, no coincidence that this change has appeared at the same time as the switch to Turbo engines.
As if the 2014 will be any more road relevant than the current breed. The newest turbo technologies such as variable geometry turbine (VGT) or
variable nozzle turbine (VNT) are to be banned from the very beginning.

Due to the fuel-flow restrictions the power curve is expected to be flat from 10,500 rpm. This raises the question whether one more gear is necessary. Of course, the eighth gear could be an overdrive.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 09:51 (Ref:2929733)   #24
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
So efficient in fact that they have to increase the weight of the cars to accommodate the additional junk, and then legislate its use because ballast is more efficient than the stupide KERS system.
Thats not entirely true. Ballast was more efficient then a completely new and untested KERS systems that teams wanted a couple of seasons to work on first. The Mclaren did very well with its KERS and was probably one of the few things that made it competitive.

As for the gear ratios the article I read stated that the teams had to pick their 8 sets of gear ratios at the start of the season. They then had to stick to these 8 sets/
Old 22 Jul 2011, 10:34 (Ref:2929746)   #25
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
If homologated gear ratios are the way to go, why shouldn't Formula 1 go a step further. First, all design should homologated: the aerodynamics, engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes, ect. Even the bolts should be homologated.
Gear ratios are a part of the set-up. If these are to be homologated, there's very little reason not to homologate the entire set-up: from tyre pressure to fuel load, from wing settings to suspension settings.