Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:44 (Ref:2932902)   #1
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who will Skys F1 commentators be (and the Beebs)?

Brundle looked like he was already advertising with his tweeted comments regarding his contract being out.

If Sky have any sense they will keep most of the existing team and just let the Beeb use them for their half of the races as well... I say most because anyone above the knowledge level of an amoeba could replace EJ, but Brundle, DC & the tall fellow whose name escapes me do a very good job.

Of course going on past form Skys Motorsport coverage is dire. Keith Heuwen ( a bike racer) doing the Indy coverage with a couple of has beens or never was's wont hack it. Similarly the old A1GP was pretty laboured and lacked charisma.

So anyway there must be a whole ream of deluded racing commentators thinking they are in with a chance of either BBC or Sky gigs.

Cox - well hes deeply unpopular on Moto GP so he would have to be cheap, and if they are cost cutting at the Beeb, you never know... it would be a cold day in hell though when I would listen to him.

Toby Moody - unabashed car fanatic, even more so than bikes if truth be told. Bit too well spoken for Sky though.

Ben Edwards and John Watson - have previous form, but in those days they were not the only choice, people had BBC coverage too.

LeGard - got the boot on Brundles say so, would be strange to have him back..

Crofty - IMHO hes brilliant, especially with the Prawn or Maurice Hamilton besides him.

Martin Haven - great on GP2 but Tweets too much.

James Allen - possible for Sky but terrestrial viewers didnt take to him.

Carlton Kirby - Probably too busy, but Id love him on the Sky team.

Murray Walker - let him enjoy semi-retirement, he was stunning as a walk on part at Silverstone but 20 races would be too much.

Anyway thats the field as I see it, I expect theres a few more - inc that Geordie fella who makes me laugh cos hes so into it and knowledgeable, Hindhuff?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:51 (Ref:2932910)   #2
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd certainly put Anthony Davidson up there too.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 19:09 (Ref:2932925)   #3
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
I'd certainly put Anthony Davidson up there too.

mentioned above with Crofty as 'the Prawn'. Agreed he is very good with Crofty.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 19:22 (Ref:2932937)   #4
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Judging by his delight at the news, John Watson must have something just about signed.

It wouldn't be practical to have the same team for both channels, as the build-up and analysis on Sky will presumably be loaded with adverts. How would the BBC get around this problem with their coverage?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 19:27 (Ref:2932942)   #5
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89 View Post
Judging by his delight at the news, John Watson must have something just about signed.

It wouldn't be practical to have the same team for both channels, as the build-up and analysis on Sky will presumably be loaded with adverts. How would the BBC get around this problem with their coverage?

test card?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2932956)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I hope John Watson isnt the main commentator, I still have nightmares when I remember his A1 GP commentry. Martin Haven and Gareth Rees would be a fantastic combination in my opinion, their F3000/GP2 coverage was superb on Eurosport and I dont see any reason why the transition to F1 would be a success.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2932961)   #7
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You've left out one group of commentators that would be cheapest to Sky.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 20:29 (Ref:2932980)   #8
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R View Post
Personally I hope John Watson isnt the main commentator, I still have nightmares when I remember his A1 GP commentry. Martin Haven and Gareth Rees would be a fantastic combination in my opinion, their F3000/GP2 coverage was superb on Eurosport and I dont see any reason why the transition to F1 would be a success.

I havent heard Rees with Shaven for a while - its Johhny Kane these days or some other fella who seems to have speaking difficulties.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 20:29 (Ref:2932981)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ben.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 20:29 (Ref:2932983)   #10
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
You've left out one group of commentators that would be cheapest to Sky.

Andy Gray and Richard Keayes?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 22:28 (Ref:2933059)   #11
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
I have weekends off.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 22:31 (Ref:2933061)   #12
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
I have weekends off.
Not sure the Beeb are quite ready to take that large a step on the accent front.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 00:28 (Ref:2933112)   #13
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
mentioned above with Crofty as 'the Prawn'. Agreed he is very good with Crofty.
. Apologies, never seen him refered to the Prawn before. Why do people call him that? I've only ever caught practice once or twice but they are excellent indeed. They know how to have a good laugh yet keep it professioaial enough, much like DC and Brundle.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 01:12 (Ref:2933123)   #14
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Andy Gray and Richard Keayes?
Old 30 Jul 2011, 01:51 (Ref:2933129)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My Sky dream team by Knowlesy

This is the team I hope for.

IN THE STUDIO

The bookends to the race, the studio bits, requires a special cocktail of steady experience, vigour and enthusiasm. The BBC have proven that a very recently retired driver, with plenty to say for himself, can really add to the mix too. I have picked the following three and I make no apologies for the blatant lifting of format from the Beeb.

THE COMMENTARY TEAM

Always a tough one this and Sky will face the same dilemmas as our beloved free to air broadcasters. With this in mind I have plumped for maximum experience. You need energy in the commentary box, as well as informed and intelligent interaction and I know just the pair for that. I am taking a punt at putting another charismatic (about to be) ex-driver in the box as well, to mix it up a bit and to have an extra opinion.

IN THE PITS

The viewers, not to mention the commentators, need a steady trickle of information from the pitlane throughout the various sessions to keep us in tune with what is happening on track. It requires a mildly technical mind and an ability to focus on the key issues of the race. Carlton is perfect for this. For gridwalks and the odd interview, Suzy is ideal.

With this team I am confident Sky could build a first class product and keep the sport away from greedy 'free' channels and the general public.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 02:10 (Ref:2933133)   #16
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

We think very much alike Knowlito, altho wouldn't lovely Suzi attract the wrong sort of attention? Altho she has been upstaged somewhat by the younger lass with the fake but magnificent rack on the gadget show.

That team as a whole would certainly take Sky coverage down the road we would want it though.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 02:26 (Ref:2933135)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, ghinzaccio, Suzi has such depth of knowledge and has always professed her love for Formula 1. She felt trapped in MotoGP all those years and I feel she needs this opportunity.

Knowledge talks at the end of the day and that will be enough to distract viewers from her magnificent bottom.

I feel she would thrive with all those big personalities to work with. A chat with the likes of Paul di Resta (oh, especially him!) is always a riveting ride, but with added Suzi we will procure yet more insight, wit and wisdom. A masterstroke.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 08:08 (Ref:2933186)   #18
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Brundle looked like he was already advertising with his tweeted comments regarding his contract being out.

If Sky have any sense they will keep most of the existing team and just let the Beeb use them for their half of the races as well... I say most because anyone above the knowledge level of an amoeba could replace EJ, but Brundle, DC & the tall fellow whose name escapes me do a very good job.

Looks like that guess was on the mark as James Allen reporting Sky and BBC will share commentary teams http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/0...nd-bbc-emerge/ , however looks like the delayed whole race is turning into a 75 minute highlight show - how is 95% of the viewing public supposed to avoid the result whilst they wait for crumbs from Skys table? Time to learn German and watch it on RTL - or scan for an illegal feed every weekend online I guess. Surely this will be step too far for BCE, or is he trying to make Murdoch look even worse? So many sub-plots!
Old 30 Jul 2011, 15:03 (Ref:2933379)   #19
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly I fear that is not a recent photo of Suzi.

One of the BCE daughters has TV 'sports' presentation 'experience' - can't recall which one. (Both?) She also has a large and expensive house to run in London.

If Murdoch really is interested in taking over F1 (as has been suggested although I would have thought it was entirely against his son's apparently green religious beliefs so may be short term) what could be better than having an Ecclestone getting down to action in your pit?

She's also younger than Suzi and must surely have complete access to all areas.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 19:31 (Ref:2933532)   #20
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Brundle didnt sound too cheery on it all today, especially with his job centre comments. Maybe he doesnt want a pay rise to go to Sky?
Old 30 Jul 2011, 22:31 (Ref:2933619)   #21
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Brundle didnt sound too cheery on it all today, especially with his job centre comments. Maybe he doesnt want a pay rise to go to Sky?
Yeah I noticed when he said that too. And he did sound a bit down.
Old 30 Jul 2011, 22:45 (Ref:2933632)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well he has worked hard and it's all a waste now really.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 08:41 (Ref:2933780)   #23
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
The Land Of More Then One Crow
Another Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who cares nobody will watch sky anyway.
Old 31 Jul 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2934041)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Plenty of more relevant threads to make comments like that. Let's stick to the topic here
Old 31 Jul 2011, 16:04 (Ref:2934042)   #25
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jesus, I would work hard for that retainer!

SKY I would expect would pay good money, they do for football punters, but depends on who they get in!

The motorsport guy is Keith Huewen, but he does NASCAR and Speedway! A little different to F1! And not sure he knows much abotu F1, he is a brilliant bike commentator