Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 25 Sep 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2960795)   #1
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Buying your own flags

Hey guys n gals, I'm really enjoying my flagging this year after all these years doing incident, I was just wondering if anyone could suggest a decent company where I can get my own set of flags from?

Cheers in advance
Old 25 Sep 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2960806)   #2
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
searched high and low for a decent product for a decent price and flags which were double the size of kart flags!, try hampshire flags, cant praise them enough and for what you get theyre relatively cheap, steer clear of demon tweeks and the like, good but mighty expensive.

try to avoid too much multiple colour flags, surface flag, ok, you need that and it only costs £17.50 if i remember, i wouldnt bother with startline, bike, kart flags because all that custom work will start to cost £25+... thats why i made my own!
you could get a 7 flag set for about £75 if you buy them complete (you can choose to buy the wooden poles seperately) kartflags.co.uk you can get them for £45 and you get a wider selection of ready made flags with thin hardwood dowelling but HF's will last a lot longer and they are the proper size youd expect.

ive used hampshire flags before the wooden poles are extremely light, you wouldnt believe me until you pick a complete one up...
hope this helps and good to see youre a converted flaggie!

Last edited by NewYankee01; 25 Sep 2011 at 19:33.
Old 25 Sep 2011, 19:39 (Ref:2960813)   #3
Oscar114
Racer

United Kingdom
Widnes
Oscar114 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
, try hampshire flags, cant praise them enough

ive used hampshire flags before the wooden poles are extremely light, you wouldnt believe me until you pick a complete one up...

Everyone who I know that have recently purchased / asked father christmas for some went to Hampshire Flags.

Absoultely great, not silk but dry quickly when they get wet and lightweight.
Old 25 Sep 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2960820)   #4
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar114 View Post

Everyone who I know that have recently purchased / asked father christmas for some went to Hampshire Flags.

Absoultely great, not silk but dry quickly when they get wet and lightweight.
yay, ive been able to help for once! maybe...
Old 26 Sep 2011, 12:45 (Ref:2961128)   #5
Richard Duvall
Racer

England
Rochford
Richard Duvall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rather than buying our own flags, maybe we should try putting pressure on the circuits owners to provide better quality flags? Some of the newer ones at Brands Hatch seem to be made of over-large water absorbant material attached to heavy broomsticks!
Old 26 Sep 2011, 13:46 (Ref:2961156)   #6
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Made my own from rip stop fabric a few years ago - less than £20 & a bit of dowling from B & Q. Note new MSA regs on sizes from 1.1. 12. Rip stop shakes dry instantly, very lightweight and easy to wash.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 14:57 (Ref:2961186)   #7
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyceswan View Post
Made my own from rip stop fabric a few years ago - less than £20 & a bit of dowling from B & Q. Note new MSA regs on sizes from 1.1. 12. Rip stop shakes dry instantly, very lightweight and easy to wash.

Can't find any published documents about the new size regs for 2012 - any help with a pointer please?

I've found Q5.2 which states 30in x 24in minimum (76cm x 61cm approx) - hants ok as they do 85cm x 65cm and international red at 110cm x 80cm (Q5.2 says 80cm x 100cm minimum)

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/m...t%20Racing.pdf
Old 26 Sep 2011, 15:15 (Ref:2961190)   #8
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDJ View Post
Can't find any published documents about the new size regs for 2012 - any help with a pointer please?

I've found Q5.2 which states 30in x 24in minimum (76cm x 61cm approx) - hants ok as they do 85cm x 65cm and international red at 110cm x 80cm (Q5.2 says 80cm x 100cm minimum)

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/m...t%20Racing.pdf
Latest MSA update states min of 75cm x 60cm - ie they have changed from real measurements to them new fangled metrics
Old 26 Sep 2011, 17:04 (Ref:2961230)   #9
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDJ View Post

It is in the Rule Changes notices which came with the latest MSA mag .... ie on the extra bits of paper which also acts as the address label and helpfully says "Rule Changes Do Not Throw Away!" on it

but the move to 75x60cm still puts it at odds with the FIA size of 80x60cm (red and chequered larger of course) ..... ho hum

Dave

Last edited by deley; 26 Sep 2011 at 17:16.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2961240)   #10
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
It is in the Rule Changes notices which came with the latest MSA mag .... ie on the extra bits of paper which also acts as the address label and helpfully says "Rule Changes Do Not Throw Away!" on it

but the move to 75x60cm still puts it at odds with the FIA size of 80x60cm (red and chequered larger of course) ..... ho hum

Dave

I thankyou!

How silly of me to expect to find it in electronic form on the MSA web site
Old 26 Sep 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2961249)   #11
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I made all of mine to the 1m x 80cms size from Chinese Silk (read nylon) cheap and simple to get sewn by a local seamstress. 12mm dowel from B&Q cut to size for near perfect balance and presto! All I need now is another yellow for those times when you have to have two!
Old 26 Sep 2011, 19:36 (Ref:2961298)   #12
col rooney
Racer

Ireland
col rooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a driver i cant belive that you boys and girls have to buy your own flags, its no wonder its hard to get marshals .So we get charged to race and then they charge people in on the gate and dont have enough flags im in the wrong game i need to buy a race track
Old 26 Sep 2011, 20:14 (Ref:2961318)   #13
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by col rooney View Post
As a driver i cant belive that you boys and girls have to buy your own flags, its no wonder its hard to get marshals .So we get charged to race and then they charge people in on the gate and dont have enough flags im in the wrong game i need to buy a race track
Flags are supplied by all circuits but sometimes they've seen better days or are like tarpaulins when wet so some marshals prefer to use their own.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2961321)   #14
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's nothing to do with having enough flags to round; just people preferring to use their own purpose built flags rather than the one's supplied by the circuit.

If you've seen some of the circuit flags you'll understand what I mean.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 20:41 (Ref:2961333)   #15
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Which will of course have beautiful flags about which nobody ever utters a bad word, right?
Old 26 Sep 2011, 21:45 (Ref:2961380)   #16
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Made of the finest silk or perhaps Airtex material? Light as a feather and dry in an instant?
Old 27 Sep 2011, 06:20 (Ref:2961486)   #17
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89 View Post
Made of the finest silk or perhaps Airtex material? Light as a feather and dry in an instant?
no need, because the circuit will have been built with an anti-rain machine to avoid the problems of wet flags/marshals/track/spectators
Old 27 Sep 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2961542)   #18
juliet
Rookie

England
Daventry
juliet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and ground based sprinklers so that the speccies still get to see the drama of a wet race with out any of us actually getting... ummm.... wet!
Old 27 Sep 2011, 09:59 (Ref:2961551)   #19
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
no need, because the circuit will have been built with an anti-rain machine to avoid the problems of wet flags/marshals/track/spectators
As long as they are still lightweight as I dont want RSI.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 17:21 (Ref:2961749)   #20
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89 View Post
As long as they are still lightweight as I dont want RSI.
Anyone know a supplier of lightweight marshals/spectators?
Old 27 Sep 2011, 18:49 (Ref:2961780)   #21
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent
Racer

Scotland
Crewe
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My wife treated me to a set of flags from Hampshire Flags earlier this year, they were well priced & was prompt delivery. Like any set of tools, if you look after them, they will serve you well. I'm not sure what other flags suppliers are like. After using the Oulton Park flags for a number of months, any long-term safety car period would make my are look like Popeye's forearm, plus they were rather grubby. I was ashamed to put out the white flag sometimes, more like a brown flag (see thread re: toilet use @Oulton!!) You pays your money & takes your choice!!
Old 28 Sep 2011, 08:16 (Ref:2962050)   #22
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Think about waving a wet mattress attached to a broomstick in the wind and you'll get the picture!
Old 28 Sep 2011, 08:31 (Ref:2962054)   #23
paulnjulie
Rookie

paulnjulie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
flags

hi all. i make sets of flags and sell them for £50.00 for set of 6 made from sail materal and without poles please email me at julesembroidery@ntlworld.com
if your interested in buying a set thanks julie
Old 28 Sep 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2962084)   #24
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnjulie View Post
hi all. i make sets of flags and sell them for £50.00 for set of 6 made from sail materal and without poles please email me at julesembroidery@ntlworld.com
if your interested in buying a set thanks julie
i wish youd have mentioned this 2 months ago, thats very competitive, can you give us pictures?
thanks
Old 3 Oct 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2965092)   #25
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hand-sewed my first set of flags using shower-proof material. After wearing those out I got a bought set as a present but can't remember where from! Nor can I remember where I got Bill's set from. Doh!

I use half-inch dowling for the poles to keep them light. It makes flagging so much easier when the flags are manageable.

If sizes have changed then tough, because I don't plan on replacing them for a while. However, I believe that clean flags being well presented ('cos they're usable) makes the signal much more visible - even if the fabric is a few cm too small!