Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Aug 2001, 14:48 (Ref:132140)   #1
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hakkinen out, Trulli in??????????

The lastest rumour going aroung the Hungaroring paddock is that Hakkinen will be dropped by McLaren and Trulli will take his place.

I'd rather have Heidfeld or Raikkonen in the McLaren.
Old 18 Aug 2001, 14:57 (Ref:132142)   #2
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah Baby Yeah!!!
That's what I was hoping for!
Get Trulli in there!

This ain't Mika's format after all. Very sticky tires and traction control is not the kind of driving he (and a lot of others Alesi, Montoya etc) would prefer. So he'd better quit and roam every other fun series in the world to smoke some more ...
Old 18 Aug 2001, 15:02 (Ref:132144)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I can't see that happening - if Trulli moves from Jordan, he will go to Renault.

Wouldn't a more likely replacement be Heidfeld? I think he is still contracted to McLaren.
Old 18 Aug 2001, 15:47 (Ref:132165)   #4
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems Ron wants to offer Mika 3 million for next year plus 1 million per race win. He's on 10 million now so that's a bit of a drop.
Old 18 Aug 2001, 16:08 (Ref:132175)   #5
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not another rumour! This is getting crazy. Does this have anything to do with the rumour that Mika's replacing Montoya at Williams next year? What's that? Oh, apparently Mika's going to Jaguar too!!!

Regarding his current team, I wouldn't be happy to take such a cut in salary. I mean, it's not as if McLaren on current form are capable of winning that many races (too unreliable). Reminds me a bit of 1997 - Mika was on a performance-related contract then too (he'd get $1million for each race he won) and look how many times that car robbed him of likely wins (Silverstone, Austria, Nurburgring and arguably Hungary). No wonder Keke's not happy. Mika's a double-world champion. Okay, so things aren't going so well this season, but have you ever tried driving a car which has launch control with an attitude problem and an annoying habit of blowing up at awkward times, namely last laps? Having said that, there is also a rumour that McLaren will announce its driver line-up in Belgium. The thing is that it seems to be the hierarchy (and Mercedes) who want to shift Mika but the rank and file at McLaren don't want him to go. I was speaking to somebody from the team after the British GP who said that he saw no reason to change the line-up.

But Trulli? As far as I understand things, Nick Heidfeld is under contract to McLaren and would get first refusal on any race seat that might come up for grabs. Alternatively, Olivier Panis has got very good connections with the team. I said a while ago that Olivier would have been unlikely to have signed a new contract with BAR if Mika was planning on going (oh the joys of sharing a management team) but I could easily be wrong.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to put up with the rumours until something gets confirmed.

Kind regards

Suzy
Old 18 Aug 2001, 17:01 (Ref:132194)   #6
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Suzy, it confirms my sense of what's going on.

I don't quite see Trulli in a Mac, but hey, stranger things have happened.

I'd rather see Heidfeld in that seat as well.

Ron's rumoured offer smacks of the terms offered to Damon Hill for 1998, which I recall Hill saying were insulting.
Old 18 Aug 2001, 17:43 (Ref:132208)   #7
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a new rumour. A rather silly one in my opinion. If Ron wants to replace Mika, he would be better of going for Heidfeld as everyone else has pointed out - rather than signing Trulli who is contracted to Renault.

Anyway, Ron would be a fool to lose Mika at this stage. From the next race forward, ( when Mika knows that team orders will not be applied since the title would already have been won by Michael) - I'm betting Mika will be fighting for top honors.

If Mclaren dont want him, then Jaguar/Renault/Toyota etc would be more than interested in Hakkinen.
Old 18 Aug 2001, 18:09 (Ref:132209)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nah, too much talking !

I can't see Ron doing that.
Old 18 Aug 2001, 22:35 (Ref:132242)   #9
Viceroy
Rookie

European Union
Vienna, Austria
Viceroy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why not trulli?

to me this rumour makes sense. trulli is available.he has not extended is jordan contract yet. heidfeld is under contract till the end of 2003. do you think sauber will do mercedes a favour after they dropped him for mclaren years ago? $10mill. payoff to sauber to get heidfeld? well I am sure they´ll prefer trulli.
mercedes connection-well, then why not frentzen? he drove mercedes sportscars-and for sauber-mercedes.
trulli to renault-sure the age-old "flavio owns trulli" story-bogus?
latest rumour:kimi replaces mikka!
Old 18 Aug 2001, 22:41 (Ref:132246)   #10
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, can't see it happening myself...
Old 18 Aug 2001, 23:09 (Ref:132256)   #11
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To see Trulli there is not the most improbable thing, although I dont see this move as well. But in fact the rumour of Trulli leaving Jordan is an old one, and also in the past McLaren often was a mentioned option. Renault is more logical, sure, but we will just have to wait and have fun with our loved rumours

Anyway todays qualifying result with beating Hakkinen is perfect oil in the fire of this rumour...lol.

You're favorite is Jeannot?
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/jeanalesifreaks

Best regards,

Julian-
Old 18 Aug 2001, 23:39 (Ref:132266)   #12
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

f1grandprixshop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hope not, i still am looking forward for another M.S. vs M.H. rivalry just like 2000 season, don't think we'll see that again if Mika change teams....
Old 19 Aug 2001, 01:11 (Ref:132279)   #13
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Please say it ain't so. Hakkinnen retires or goes to another team (assuming it somehow isn't Williams), we could well have a Schumacher win every race next year.
What's this about Ron Dennis only offering Mika $3 mill for next year? That IS insulting. I can't decide if I hate him or Eddie Jordan more..
Old 19 Aug 2001, 02:33 (Ref:132298)   #14
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heidfeld?!He's no star driver,sorry!Does ron really want two 'coulthards'on the team?
Mind you,i'm not sure yet if Trulli is great-but at least he's determined.
Old 19 Aug 2001, 04:01 (Ref:132305)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see McLaren dropping Mika unless they drop DC at the same time, because DC is a number two driver.

There are probably a host of drivers wanting to drive for McLaren (perhaps not this years car though ) including Heidfeld, Trulli and Raikkonen.

Heidfeld would be most likely. He's still under contract to Mercedes, and although Sauber could contest, they'd probably end up taking a pay out. I'd put Heidfeld in the car too because he knows the team and the innerworkings of the organisation and could grow with McLaren, much like Mika did from 1993 onwards.

I don't see Renault letting Trulli go to McLaren, but stranger things have happened. I firmly believe Trulli could win races in the right car, but he's just had no luck throughout his entire career.

As for mentioning Raikkonen, he's being tipped to go everywhere at the moment, but most likely Ferrari.

It is known Dennis does not want to drop Mika, but is coming under pressure from Mercedes because they now want a German in the car, hence the Heidfeld rumours. Also around is the fact Mika is still not happy with the contract being offered because it's not the length he wants and it's more performance related than ever. DC would probably be earning more. How the hell does that work?!?!?!?

I don't see a bust-up between McLaren and Hakkinen, more like Mercedes and Hakkinen, who have been responsible for some of his bad luck.
Old 19 Aug 2001, 09:36 (Ref:132342)   #16
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are enough rumours going around at the moment. Almost everyone has been linked with eveyone elses drive. So for next season at McLaren we will have Mika, DC, Montoya, Irvine, Alonso, Heidfeld and Raikonnen. I think not. And when is Mika going to have time to race in F1, the DTM, CART and just about everywhere else.
Old 19 Aug 2001, 10:10 (Ref:132357)   #17
economy_waffle
Racer

economy_waffle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by drexel
Seems Ron wants to offer Mika 3 million for next year plus 1 million per race win. He's on 10 million now so that's a bit of a drop.
so he'll get £3million next year yeah?
Old 19 Aug 2001, 11:41 (Ref:132398)   #18
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by economy_waffle
So he'll get £3million next year yeah?
No, it's only USD 3 million (slightly under GBP 2 million).
Old 19 Aug 2001, 14:43 (Ref:132469)   #19
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1manoz is correct with the observation that the likely bust-up is between Mercedes and Mika. Mercedes are very keen for a German driver; in fact one of the bigwigs at Mercedes was complaining to one of my friends at the team recently that BMW had a German engine and a German driver and why couldn't McLaren be like that? His gripe was that McLaren weren't German enough!!!

Yes, the deal Mika's been offered is something like US$3million for the year with a bonus of USD$1 million for each race he wins. Using a current exchange rate, that means Mika will basically earn Sterling 1,846,153.80 for 2002 (you must excuse me - my keyboard lacks a pound sign!). Given that David's contract will see him get US$6million next season plus bonuses - the deal for Mika stinks. The guy is a double world-champion, he's stood by the team through thick and thin (he had his chances to go elsewhere but supported McLaren) and that's what he gets in return. How many races is that McLaren going to win on current form?

Anyway, I've emailed somebody at the team and asked what the heck is going on. I fully expect to get a "no comment" response but at least I've tried to make sense of it.

Kind regards

Suzy
Old 19 Aug 2001, 14:54 (Ref:132483)   #20
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Suzy

Yes, the deal Mika's been offered is something like US$3million for the year with a bonus of USD$1 million for each race he wins. Using a current exchange rate, that means Mika will basically earn Sterling 1,846,153.80 for 2002 (you must excuse me - my keyboard lacks a pound sign!). Given that David's contract will see him get US$6million next season plus bonuses - the deal for Mika stinks. The guy is a double world-champion, he's stood by the team through thick and thin (he had his chances to go elsewhere but supported McLaren) and that's what he gets in return.
Suzy
But the harsh reality as I have said elsewhere is that you're only as good as your last season.

Loyalty is a romantic notion, Suzy, but McLaren and Mercedes are in the business to win races, and something isn't working right now, and Hakkinen, as much as I adore him, is one of the reasons McLaren is in the doldrums.

Heidfeld is a future WDC as is Raikkonen. The time to rebuild at Woking has come and DC will stay for one more year for continuity.

The other question is whether Wurz would qualify as a "German" driver for Mercedes?

(Post Anschluss I suppose)
Old 19 Aug 2001, 15:04 (Ref:132491)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
The other question is whether Wurz would qualify as a "German" driver for Mercedes?

(Post Anschluss I suppose)
If it makes any sense: never !
Old 19 Aug 2001, 15:49 (Ref:132513)   #22
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
Heidfeld?!He's no star driver,sorry!
I think he could pull off a surprise if he goes to McLaren - he's been very strong this year and had quite a few points finishes. Being in the Prost didn't allow him to demonstrate his full ability. And he is also the most logical choice for a replacement for Hakkinen because he's contracted to McLaren, and Mercedes would like to see a German driver on the team (and there isn't anybody else at present, since they missed out on signing Ralf this year).
Old 19 Aug 2001, 22:42 (Ref:132771)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Heidfeld is the logical choice, no further comments...
Old 20 Aug 2001, 02:27 (Ref:132863)   #24
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
U R SO RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Suzy

Yes, the deal Mika's been offered is something like US$3million for the year with a bonus of USD$1 million for each race he wins. Using a current exchange rate, that means Mika will basically earn Sterling 1,846,153.80 for 2002 (you must excuse me - my keyboard lacks a pound sign!). Given that David's contract will see him get US$6million next season plus bonuses - the deal for Mika stinks. The guy is a double world-champion, he's stood by the team through thick and thin (he had his chances to go elsewhere but supported McLaren) and that's what he gets in return. How many races is that McLaren going to win on current form?

You are so right Suzi! He has shown increadible loalty when most drivers are selfish so-and-so's.
I will be very angry if mclaren treats mika with anything less than respect ~ he deserves at least that!

Quote:

“Originally from EERO - Loyalty is a romantic notion, Suzy, but McLaren and Mercedes are in the business to win races, and something isn't working right now, and Hakkinen, as much as I adore him, is one of the reasons McLaren is in the doldrums.

To erro,
The loyalty that mclare shows to mika and DC - & vica-versa – is one of the reasons for mclarens sucsees in 1998-1999 because there was not tension, no infighting and no squabbling or *****ing. Do you see mclaren in the controvosy that Jordan, Prost Benetton etc. have found themselves in?????
I REST MY CASE!!!!
Old 20 Aug 2001, 02:46 (Ref:132865)   #25
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum, ozrevhead.

Look, I'm as romantic an as nostalgiac as the next guy. DC and Hakkinaen will go down in history as one of the most effective driver pairing ever. Not only for the duratio of their co-tenure, but for the fact that they put aside personal differences and display only great respect and regard for each other.
I have no doubt that McLaren did not produce a car up to their recent standards for this past season-but of the two drivers, DC showed more consistent commitment and it is reflected in his qualifying results and points totals.

But loyalty to a driver who is very possibly "over the (Damon) Hill" will only deprive the team of an opportunity to build towards a new future.

Right now, there is a myriad of young talented drivers who might be poised to make the next step up:

Heidfeld, Raikkonen, Trulli, Fisichella, Wurz,..et al.