Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 26 Oct 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2977361)   #1
BritishV8
Rookie

BritishV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tell me about Walt Hansgen

This forum is an AWESOME depository of knowledge on so many arcane racing topics... I guess I've taken Walt Hansgen's fame and popularity for granted, but when researching my latest article here on 10-Tenths, I entered the search term "Hansgen" and was surprised to find few results. What do you guys remember about him? Interesting stories? Cool photos?

My article is all together now. I focused on the early years and on Hansgen's first racecar, the Jaguar special with which he started his career. If you're curious, I'd encourage you to check it out here: Walt Hansgen's XK120 Special

Last edited by BritishV8; 26 Oct 2011 at 20:13. Reason: (hit enter key too soon, by mistake)
Old 26 Oct 2011, 23:30 (Ref:2977436)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Walt Hansgen

I only know about his MG connection, as one of the drivers of the MG Liquid Suspension Special, an Indy car that ran in the 60s. I have a little bit of its tube frame mounted on a plinth, that came from the guy in Canada who rebuilt it (whose name escapes me at the moment).
Old 28 Oct 2011, 08:15 (Ref:2978052)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
A great driver/engineer of the time and was he Mark Donohue's mentor before he got involved with Penske or something like that?
Old 30 Oct 2011, 01:37 (Ref:2978758)   #4
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
History, again . . .

There are ~44k citations on this Google link:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...l313l0.1.1l2l0

My personal memory is from open practice for the 1964 Bridgehampton (NY) FIA international 500 km races. I was driving my mildly prepared Bug(frog)eye Sprite flat out down the hill at ~95mph when Walt Hansgen literally `blew my doors off' going by at ~185mph in a Lister Jaguar.

I won the under 1 liter class by default. There also were three Abarth coupés in the class and they all suffered mechanical breakdowns of one sort or another. You can find me on ppg 546 & 547 of Janos Wimpffen's "Time and Two Seats: Five Decades of Long Distance Motor Racing". My racing `team' was Ecurie Escargot.

Old 30 Oct 2011, 17:32 (Ref:2979063)   #5
bugeye
Rookie

bugeye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael Argetsinger wrote an excellent biography of Walt Hansgen a few years ago. I think it is still available on publisher David Bull's website, or you can probably find it on the larger bookseller's sites.
Old 30 Oct 2011, 17:35 (Ref:2979065)   #6
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
Michael Argetsinger wrote an excellent biography of Walt Hansgen a few years ago. I think it is still available on publisher David Bull's website, or you can probably find it on the larger bookseller's sites.
It is also included in the above Google link.