Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 3 Feb 2012, 19:27 (Ref:3021186)   #1
TurboAndy
Rookie

TurboAndy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MARCH 713M-8

Hello

Wondering if any of you can help me in locating my fathers old March 713M-8 hillclimb car.

He is based in Carlisle and bought it back in about 1975 in Ascot from the architect of Sheraton Hotels and sold her in about 1977 to a fellow hillcimber, who we think crashed it the following year taking out one side of the monocoque.

This is how she looked when he sold her.

Thanks for your time

Andy
Old 3 Feb 2012, 19:32 (Ref:3021191)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A bit impractical for the shops I think!
Old 6 Feb 2012, 11:14 (Ref:3022091)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
A bit impractical for the shops I think!

It would awful over those cobbles!!!

Hopefully one of our contributors will be able to help you TurboAndy.
Old 6 Feb 2012, 12:00 (Ref:3022108)   #4
TurboAndy
Rookie

TurboAndy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol at you two.

Would be so nice to find out what happened to her.
Old 9 Feb 2012, 10:41 (Ref:3023618)   #5
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the Chassis Archive

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....62&postcount=9

It looks as though it was the ex-James Hunt car. From memory, he started the season with a 713S (spaceframe) car sponsored by Rose Bearings. Later in the year he ran a monocoque car. Shame your dad hasn't still got it...

Edit - just found another post in that thread. It would appear that Anthony Binnington (who still races Formula Junior) raced the car in 1972.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....0&postcount=32

Last edited by Alan Morgan; 9 Feb 2012 at 10:51.
Old 12 Feb 2012, 19:18 (Ref:3024930)   #6
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboAndy View Post
Hello

Wondering if any of you can help me in locating my fathers old March 713M-8 hillclimb car.

He is based in Carlisle and bought it back in about 1975 in Ascot from the architect of Sheraton Hotels and sold her in about 1977 to a fellow hillcimber, who we think crashed it the following year taking out one side of the monocoque.

This is how she looked when he sold her.

Thanks for your time

Andy
Hi Andy, so your dad would be Geoff Deakin?
The car was featured in Viner's colours in 1974 in Autosport, so I guess that's when he bought it. Binnington had it for sale in Autosport 14.12.72 p. 60, so there's room for an owner in-between.
If you want to find it, first thing to do is find the guy who bought it from your Dad.
The hillclimb community is tightly knit, and people have good long memories. I'd guess he was from the north of England, because the older a car gets the less distance it tends to travel when it's sold (until it reaches historic status and goes to Australia)
Steve Wilkinson, the best historian of sprints and hillclimbs, is a good person to ask, and I will ask on your behalf what he knows.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by chunterer; 14 Feb 2012 at 11:24.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 13:55 (Ref:3025260)   #7
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris/Andy, wasn't the A/Sport article in 1977, August IIRC?? That ties in with when Andy says his dad got it. It wasn't a car that later passed to the other James Hunt/John Walker was it?
Old 13 Jul 2012, 21:31 (Ref:3106168)   #8
ROGER JORDAN
Rookie

United Kingdom
NORTH DEVON
ROGER JORDAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy, I will have to dig through some entry lists and programmes etc to check but I seem to remember a 713 down here in the westcountry at that time, it was blue and yellow if my memory serves me right with polished alloy side panels/tub, it was owned and driven by a Plymouth motor trader Fred Davis, if that was the car it certainly suffered side damage against one of the notorious Tregrehan hillclimb trees, I went down to assist in repairing some of the damage for a few days.
Will try to do some digging for you.
Regards Roger.