Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

View Poll Results: Which manufacturer would you choose?
Brian James 5 38.46%
Indespension 0 0%
Ifor Williams 2 15.38%
Fountain 1 7.69%
None of the above 3 23.08%
The cheapest, they're all similar quality. 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 Jul 2012, 20:45 (Ref:3104340)   #1
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which Trailer Manufacturer?

I have decided the time has come to get a new car transporter. I have been to three dealers and priced up similar spec trailers. There is not a great deal of difference in the prices, and I can't make my mind up between them.
The choice is between, Brian James, Indespension, and Ifor Williams. Has anybody got any horror stories, or alternatively, received exceptional service from these manufacturers?
Old 9 Jul 2012, 20:59 (Ref:3104344)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
You could include PRG Trailers on that list I know a few guys using them and the company owner Piers Grange is a racer and thoughly nice chap.
Old 9 Jul 2012, 21:19 (Ref:3104352)   #3
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I did consider PRG, and also Woodford. I've seen them around and like the look of them, but I can't find a local dealer for them, and I would rather buy from a local dealer, than direct from the manufacturer.
Old 9 Jul 2012, 21:26 (Ref:3104353)   #4
sebring115
Rookie

sebring115 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trailers

You can also add fountain. They tailored a trailer to my spec and for much less than the competition. Also dont have silly leadtimes and cut all the steel on site so easy to make changes so suits what you want. They worked over Xmas for me so didnt have to pay the extra vat when it went up and came in between xmas and new year for me to collect.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 12:58 (Ref:3104624)   #5
vjay48
Racer

vjay48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have got a Fountain, well made,good spec and they quality running gear. Have a look at their web site.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 13:23 (Ref:3104637)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I've added Fountain to the poll plus another option.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 13:38 (Ref:3104645)   #7
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We use an Ifor Williams CT136. Brilliant trailer. We used to use a Brian James but the IF is much nicer, especially the suspension, making towing a lot more stable. Just my two pennies worth...
Old 10 Jul 2012, 15:56 (Ref:3104692)   #8
Dom
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
Dom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spent ages trying to find a trailer that was just the right size for my Fiesta and small enough to fit in my single garage. Had to buy a brand new Woodford in the end but and very happy with it - seems well designed and put together and i got a couple of freebie upgrades on it. Also about ÂŁ400 cheaper than the equivilent Brian James..
Old 10 Jul 2012, 17:42 (Ref:3104725)   #9
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After much investigation I settled on a Bateson PT56 bought direct from a local dealer.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 11 Jul 2012, 01:06 (Ref:3104914)   #10
Si Frowen
Rookie

England
East Winch, Norfolk
Si Frowen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought a brand new Woodford too - great trailer, really happy with it. My issue was width in that the Special Saloon Kitten is 6'6" wide but fairly short so I wanted a wide, single axle trailer. I was really happy with Woodford's service and the price (and I don't work there before you ask!).
Old 11 Jul 2012, 08:12 (Ref:3104970)   #11
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
McMuttley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My last was a DG box on a BJ A-Max, although not the sexiest looking, the fact that you could mount endless stuff like shelving, wheel mounts, awning racks etc etc to the inside rigid walls was a major bonus over the 'plastic' versions. for more practical if you don't have a truck for the mucky stuff !
Old 11 Jul 2012, 15:30 (Ref:3105182)   #12
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had Brian James, PRG and Bateson over the years - all large, twin axle tilt-bed types.

The PRG towed really nice and was, arguably, the best design, The Brian James was OK, but I didn't use it that much over a long period, so difficult to say really. The Batesons I've had always give the impression of being being built to last and very sturdy, and I've found the guys at the factory to be very helpful on the odd occasion I've needed something. My current one is a Bateson, and apart from a couple of minor things, I rate it as an excellent trailer.

I would happily use one from any of the three I mentioned.

Hope this helps!
Old 11 Jul 2012, 18:04 (Ref:3105254)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I think if I ever get a race box it'll have to be a Dastle, plenty of room inside.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 21:24 (Ref:3105349)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
[IMG][/IMG]My Dastle race box has served me well over the years, you can keep the car in it all the time and they are brilliant for moving furniture.
Anyway who needs a trailer ! this car was pulled over by the cops in the States (where else) because both rear tyres had exploded and both rear struts had punched through the floor, and yes there was several cwt of cement in the back as well !!!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Jul 2012, 05:30 (Ref:3105431)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think of the Dastle as the Rolls Royce of enclosed trailers, they are extremely good.

I use a Race Shuttle which is also very good. I have pleanty of space for fuel jugs and tools, it has a tyre rack (although in fairness it only carries five wheels for the Capri), internal lights, which I've never used, and a whinch for pulling the car in.

It tows extemely well and is watertight.

Woodford Trialers came out of Brian James IIRC. They were either ex employees or a subcontractor. Their trailers are also very good.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 12:58 (Ref:3105586)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have seen a couple of Nevcos in use website here with some expensive cars on the back. Roll on roll off seems very easy...
Old 12 Jul 2012, 14:48 (Ref:3105626)   #17
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have a Brian James open trailer for general car duties - triple axle. Tows very nicely.

We also have a PRG Prosporter for race cars, with the optional double deck. This also works quite well. Much heavier but again easy to tow. PRG seem nice people.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 17:24 (Ref:3105675)   #18
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its worth comparing the security features of the various trailers, the quality of the lock etc. One feature that is useful is having the chassis number cut into the chassis as opposed to be being stamped on it.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 14:50 (Ref:3107228)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actually, now that I generally have two cars at an event I was thinking about a double-decker. Of course that would also mean a small commercial tow vehicle. Any ideas?
Old 16 Jul 2012, 15:11 (Ref:3107241)   #20
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Due to your circumstances wouldn't it be cheaper and more convenient to pay someone to transport one or both of your cars to circuits?
Old 16 Jul 2012, 15:22 (Ref:3107248)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I do mostly. But there are times when I want to be in one location and they have to be in another. So I look after myself.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 17:33 (Ref:3107294)   #22
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Actually, now that I generally have two cars at an event I was thinking about a double-decker. Of course that would also mean a small commercial tow vehicle. Any ideas?
I've had a Fountain double decker trailer for over 6 years - I tow it behind a Jeep Grand Cherokee 3 litre diesel. It was the first one they produced and it is incredibly robust and tows brilliantly. A few years ago I took a MGB and a TR3 to Zolder although normally it is now used for either the Elite or WSM on the top deck with the Minx down below.

If you have any specific questions Peter, email them to me and I'll do my best to answer them. The trailer will be at the HRDC meeting at Donington on the 28th if you're around.

If I'm only taking one car now, I use our recently acquired Dastle Race Box which at least gives us somewhere dry during this lousy summer we're having.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 17:47 (Ref:3107304)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Brian. I won't be at Donington but you will be hearing from me.
Old 18 Jul 2012, 19:02 (Ref:3108130)   #24
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Peter, you don't necessarily need a commercial vehicle for that. For example, my Land Cruiser can legally pull about 4.5 tonnes - most trailers, unless specifically designed for use behind larger commercial vehicles, are 3.5 tonnes max. So it's the trailer that will limit you before the tow vehicle, if you get the right tow vehicle!

But there's no reason why you can't stay under 3.5 tonnes, depending, of course, on your cars. A decent, well designed twin deck trailer needn't weigh much more than a tonne, so that leaves you with best part of 2.5 tonne for two race cars - unless your cars are heavyweights, that should be achieveable.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 02:03 (Ref:3108323)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Agreed, and indeed my Grand Cherokee will tow that. I currently use a race shuttle which also carries tools, wheels etc. But if I were to have a double trailer I'd need somewhere for all those tools as explained. Ergo, I'd think about a large van or similar.