Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 30 Aug 2001, 01:58 (Ref:138260)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Computer techie question ???

ok quite a few of you know a fair bit more about these pesky computers than me so i thought I would ask a techie question.

for some reason my home page keeps resetting to some page that always comes up unavailable..I have no idea what this page is or how it got there ..but i have constantly reset my original homepage in the control panel and it works fine until i shut down my comp and restart it ..it just keeps going back to the new one...I have tried a few things like clearing my history and getting rid of some programs that may have caused it but to no avail.

is clearing my history resettting my cookies???
i dont know much about it and im not sure how to delete my cookies or even if that will help get rid of this site that is bugging me.

anybody know an answer ????

CHEERS
Marcus
Old 30 Aug 2001, 02:10 (Ref:138267)   #2
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mhhhh....I'm guessing that it's some kind of spyware program in your PC (don't worry, it isn't as bad as it sounds). Have you recently installed some kind of web based software such as file sharing programs or web accelerators or something of the sort??? Those things usuallu include some kind of spyware software (audiogalaxy for instance comes with a spyware program called webhancer which is a bit tricky to remove).

It can also be some kind of internet based program that sets their page as the start page every time the program runs. What's the address to which it takes you?
Old 30 Aug 2001, 04:06 (Ref:138281)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yep that sounds about right Sharky...we recently downloaded a file sharing thingy but i have since uninstalled it because it was useless...but the homepage thingy has stayed.

I have to get off this damm thing and go to work now so I will fill you in when i get home.

thanks for ya help
Marcus
Old 30 Aug 2001, 09:52 (Ref:138348)   #4
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, scary techie response

Firstly make sure there's nothing in the Startup section of your Start menu. If not, then here comes the scary bit.

Go to the Start Menu and click on run, then type Regedit and click OK. Choose Edit from the menu, then Find. Take ticks off the Values and Data boxes, and type "run" into the "Find what" box. Keep pressing F3 to go to the next selection until you find just the word "run" is highlighted. In the right hand pane there should be a list of commands or programs that run on startup. Look through these to see if there's anything that resets the homepage, or that starts up spyware. If so, click on the offending command and press delete. If there's nothing there, keep pressing F3, as sometimes there are 2 sections with just the word "run". If you find another, follow the same procedure. If that doesn't fix it, maybe some other 10-10ths Techies could suggest something else

Best of luck with it
Old 31 Aug 2001, 00:04 (Ref:138741)   #5
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK, No problem marcus. Let me know how that works out.
Old 31 Aug 2001, 00:42 (Ref:138757)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That sort of thing is always on registry... just look for the right keys.
Old 31 Aug 2001, 02:08 (Ref:138787)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
well I have tried masie's scary suggestion but that hasnt worked either..thought I had found it and deleted it but it changed nothing.
I have even tried re installing Explorer.

the address that keeps coming up is www.skyinet.net which as I said I have never heard of before and it always comes up unavailable..beats me..but thanks for your help guys I will keep searching through the registry though and hopefully I will come across something.
Old 31 Aug 2001, 12:34 (Ref:138989)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Write this address in the search option in the regedit program, where you find it, simply delete it.
Old 31 Aug 2001, 13:08 (Ref:139010)   #9
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant idea, Bononi - why didn't I think of that?
Old 31 Aug 2001, 13:35 (Ref:139022)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Old 31 Aug 2001, 14:47 (Ref:139044)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Thanks guys (and gals) I will try that and report back with the results
Old 31 Aug 2001, 16:54 (Ref:139094)   #12
Alan
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire, UK
Alan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This does sound like spyware. You can download a free removal tool from http://www.lavasoftusa.com which will detect and remove most spyware for you. Its only 840KB or so and easy to use.