Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 29 Sep 2013, 23:15 (Ref:3310859)   #1
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Perfect Home

So, what would you have as the perfect marshals post?

Me?

Stable platform under cover for Flag Marshals to work;

dry, windproof area large enough for PC to work and IO/ Track Marshals to take cover in during the excellent liquid summers the UK is prone to.

On post, plumbed in toilets.

Facilities for making a hot drink.

Some kind of timing/scoring showing top ten cars and positions for longer races.

What about the rest of you? What would you have as the ideal marshals post?
Old 29 Sep 2013, 23:34 (Ref:3310864)   #2
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck with all that

Some other discussions....

Flag Points of the World

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84564​

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22882
Old 30 Sep 2013, 09:55 (Ref:3310986)   #3
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Radio link to Race Control, another radio for race commentary or data link device to show race positions, heater, dry storage space for 'stuff', sounds like the beginnings of the specification for a fast response vehicle !!
Old 30 Sep 2013, 10:29 (Ref:3311002)   #4
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you're going to have timing screens etc, why not make it a two way process. A touch screen that allows at least at set of standard basic incident reports (e.g. four (two) wheels off, spun and continued. overtake under yellow). Cuts down on radio chatter, reduces paperwork and could give the CoC near realtime graphics of track limit violations etc.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 15:24 (Ref:3311100)   #5
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Money, money, money .....
Old 30 Sep 2013, 16:01 (Ref:3311109)   #6
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Aras View Post
If you're going to have timing screens etc, why not make it a two way process. A touch screen that allows at least at set of standard basic incident reports (e.g. four (two) wheels off, spun and continued. overtake under yellow). Cuts down on radio chatter, reduces paperwork and could give the CoC near realtime graphics of track limit violations etc.
Are you on speaking terms with Bill Gates?

What you suggest is fantastic. What a pity that fantasy is unrealistic.

Unless we get Bill Gates on board!
Old 30 Sep 2013, 16:15 (Ref:3311112)   #7
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Are you on speaking terms with Bill Gates?

What you suggest is fantastic. What a pity that fantasy is unrealistic.

Unless we get Bill Gates on board!

Probably cheaper than plumbed in toilets on every post and this is for the perfect post.

I'm sure there are people better placed to comment on the cost of software for this but tablets are cheap enough nowadays that it might be feasible if they can be kept in a weatherproof post.

Maybe we can ask Mr Palmer to pay for it from his savings on repairing curbs now he's got the track limits rules changes.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 16:25 (Ref:3311115)   #8
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Aras View Post
I'm sure there are people better placed to comment on the cost of software for this but tablets are cheap enough nowadays that it might be feasible if they can be kept in a weatherproof post.

Maybe we can ask Mr Palmer to pay for it from his savings on repairing curbs now he's got the track limits rules changes.
Actually, doesn't sound all that complicated to achieve. As mentioned, the biggest obstacle (aside, perhaps from cost), would be ruggedising the kit.

EDIT; A quick google search for "rugged tablet" suggests that getting off the shelf kit wouldn't be that hard (but I guess much more pricey than off the shelf / consumer kit)
Old 30 Sep 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3311179)   #9
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My ideal post would be;
a large solid structure with plastic windows, sliding at the front. lights instead of flags operated by flick switches, from the post, that the lights would respond to immediately. storage for bags/boxes with padded cover to sit on. a work top and seat to compile reports on (whether on paper or computer). A heater that could also be a fan in hot weather. A kettle, fridge and microwave. A speaker giving live commentary that would cut out giving any radio transmissions from other posts. Hangers for waterproofs. A pair of binoculars. A toilet, but this could be a portaloo. A rubbish bin.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 21:52 (Ref:3311219)   #10
Wet marshal
Racer

England
TETBURY
Wet marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
My ideal post would be;
a large solid structure with plastic windows, sliding at the front. lights instead of flags operated by flick switches, from the post, that the lights would respond to immediately. storage for bags/boxes with padded cover to sit on. a work top and seat to compile reports on (whether on paper or computer). A heater that could also be a fan in hot weather. A kettle, fridge and microwave. A speaker giving live commentary that would cut out giving any radio transmissions from other posts. Hangers for waterproofs. A pair of binoculars. A toilet, but this could be a portaloo. A rubbish bin.
Plus a shower cubicle that converts to an air conditioned pod.

Just like Yas Marina!
Old 30 Sep 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3311233)   #11
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet marshal View Post
Plus a shower cubicle that converts to an air conditioned pod.

Just like Yas Marina!
Have a shower while I'm away marshalling, are you mad!!

Oh, and the post would have to be within 4 feet of the circuit!
Old 30 Sep 2013, 23:18 (Ref:3311238)   #12
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Have a shower while I'm away marshalling, are you mad!!

Oh, and the post would have to be within 4 feet of the circuit!
Only 4 feet, whatever is the matter with you........

Bladders.........
Old 1 Oct 2013, 12:52 (Ref:3311444)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've frequently had a shower when on post. That's why we'd like a roof.

To be honest, I'd be happy with that, some method of holding the flags so they don't end up on the floor getting dirty and a landline system so that I can hear the SC messages, etc.

Live timing and a method of e-mailing reports would be wonderful.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3311450)   #14
Glovesman
Rookie

England
Kent
Glovesman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I do like the idea of a roofed area to shelter, I would rather have a clear even pathway behind the armco, so that we can safely run to an incident.
Old 1 Oct 2013, 13:22 (Ref:3311460)   #15
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Simply posts that are actually manned LOL - saves me a lot of running!
Old 1 Oct 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3311628)   #16
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
Woolley
To be honest, I'd be happy with that, some method of holding the flags so they don't end up on the floor getting dirty

Castle Combe already have had the right idea for several season, difficult to explain in words, but in brief it is stand made out of plumbing joints with enough short pipes facing upwards which will hold the flag in a vertical position close to hand and yes it does work very well and is cheap to make.

Bladders....
Old 2 Oct 2013, 12:12 (Ref:3311847)   #17
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
supose we are fortunate at knockhill as all posts have brick huts with concrete floors, plenty of space to store your gear and for the team to shelter in bad weather, there is also a 3' canopy to stand outside and not get wet. we dont have portaloos on every post but apart from duffus ands chicane they are a 2 minute walk. big waste bins on post that are emptied regularly

i agree a mains kettle or even a small gas stove for making a brew would be nice but we all have a thermos flask and we have a massive urn in the main bothy to top up your flask at lunchtime
Old 2 Oct 2013, 12:23 (Ref:3311855)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade View Post
Castle Combe already have had the right idea for several season, difficult to explain in words, but in brief it is stand made out of plumbing joints with enough short pipes facing upwards which will hold the flag in a vertical position close to hand and yes it does work very well and is cheap to make.

Bladders....
I've thought of making something similar myself, but a) you have to transport it and b) finding something that can be mounted on any post (or lack of post at some circuits) has defeated my design skills so far.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 12:56 (Ref:3311864)   #19
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I've thought of making something similar myself, but a) you have to transport it and b) finding something that can be mounted on any post (or lack of post at some circuits) has defeated my design skills so far.
I believe Snetterton have them in all their huts now, and probably have the best huts, except for the big open space where a sliding window could be.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 20:09 (Ref:3311969)   #20
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
It is on post when you are arrive along with a quality set of flags......

So credit where credit is due, I just wish CCRC would update their woeful website with entry list etc, it is not good......

Bladders.......
Old 6 Oct 2013, 17:28 (Ref:3313628)   #21
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I upset the folks in race control at Silverstone when I suggested they had SC boards on the posts like the hazard boards rather than "hold them up" plastic sheets. How did I upset them - because I said "like they have at Donington".

So if you have circuits unwilling to do something simple but practical because ..... are we really ever going to get anything any better?

But I do have to thank Dr JP for the improvements he has made at Oulton Park. I may not have been out on the bank for a couple of years but that toilet at Druids is most welcome. My first ever day marshalling was at Druids and I had to use a hole in the ground!!!
Old 6 Oct 2013, 20:07 (Ref:3313770)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
So if you have circuits unwilling to do something simple but practical because ..... are we really ever going to get anything any better?
No different from FIA reinventing SC regs because they didn't want to admit to borrowing the idea from the Americans. If they'd just had the guts to take it up wholesale we wouldn't need SC boards at all.