Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 26 Jan 2014, 18:04 (Ref:3359881)   #1
Bayman
Rookie

England
Whitley Bay
Bayman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshaling at Le Mans

After spectating at Le Mans for the last 10 years I have allowed myself to be talked into marshaling there this year. Can any of you old hands out there tell me when you actually have to be on post prior to the Wednesday practice starting? I would like to stay on the site with the people I usually go with (who aren't marshals) on the Monday and Tuesday nights, if possible.

I am assuming that you have to camp on post from the Wednesday onwards.

Also, are there any posts that should be avoided? I am not worried about being on a mixed nationality post.
Old 26 Jan 2014, 19:32 (Ref:3360119)   #2
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Each post has it's own campsite and way of doing things.

Generally Monday would be the earliest to turn up and lunchtime Wednesday the latest. If you get allocated a post, your chef de poste will tell you what is expected of you. Some posts will allow you to stay/camp off post until Saturday, others would see that as
a sign of non integration.

see also
http://www.marshalsguide.com/index.php/Le_Mans

You don't say what/where your marshalling history is, but I cannot emphasis too much that Le Mans entry can be VERY conditional on personal contacts.

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 26 Jan 2014 at 19:45.
Old 26 Jan 2014, 20:05 (Ref:3360168)   #3
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do a trawl through previous threads on this forum. I'm sure most things have been covered in the past.

You apply via the MSA and in the past you had to be a "red badge" - not sure how that equates to current grading.

Great fun, whatever the weather, and definitely one to "notch up"!

And I can separately tell you the best way of coping with the portaloo on post, should you not have an "on-board" one in your own camping accommodation!
Old 27 Jan 2014, 17:17 (Ref:3360596)   #4
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aw, c'mon, Shelagh, don't let the cat out of the bag! Discovering the French portapotties is a vital part of the Le Mans marshal learning experience!
keke
Old 27 Jan 2014, 17:28 (Ref:3360603)   #5
Bayman
Rookie

England
Whitley Bay
Many thanks to both of you. I and the marshal I'm going with have already applied through the MSA and are registered with the ACO, so we are just waiting to do the post nomination.

Not sure I like the sound of these French portaloo thingies though!
Old 27 Jan 2014, 22:31 (Ref:3360772)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayman View Post
Not sure I like the sound of these French portaloo thingies though!
I'm out of practice with my French, but from memory, port=left and aloo is a kind of garlic. So it's a place where someone's left their garlic?
Old 28 Jan 2014, 12:18 (Ref:3361042)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I'm out of practice with my French, but from memory, port=left and aloo is a kind of garlic. So it's a place where someone's left their garlic?
Port = wine
Aloo = potato

so portaloo is a potato wine . . . or poteen?
Old 28 Jan 2014, 13:12 (Ref:3361055)   #8
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I bow to your greater knowledge. Looking back at my original translation I realise that I've gone nautical rather than French, so it must have been ferries I was thinking of.

I've definitely experienced that on a rough crossing.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 20:18 (Ref:3361245)   #9
Bayman
Rookie

England
Whitley Bay
Presumably the french post rules are the same as ours i.e. no alcohol on post. So does this mean you have to wait until the end of the race to visit the portaloo?
Old 28 Jan 2014, 20:47 (Ref:3361255)   #10
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Presumably the french post rules are the same as ours i.e. no alcohol on post.
- novice, obviously never marshalled out of the UK.

But don't care.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 21:10 (Ref:3361266)   #11
Bayman
Rookie

England
Whitley Bay
Guilty as charged mate!

That's why we thought we might just start off at a low profile meeting at a small circuit!
Old 28 Jan 2014, 21:14 (Ref:3361268)   #12
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Guilty as charged mate! That's why we thought we might just start off at a low profile meeting at a small circuit!
and a nice "low profile" event you have picked

p.s. I should have added ....... don't get caught

But don't care.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 11:29 (Ref:3362044)   #13
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tricks of the trade re Portaloo at Le Mans:

Plenty of solid air fresheners dotted around inside.

Buy the cheapest, smelliest (ie fragranced?) can of air freshener. Open door, squirt same inside and shut the door again. Leave for a few moments before entering and doing your business.

Also have a can of the stuff that removes smells and when "flushing", spray this down the pan to the "cache" below.

And, notwithstanding what you've been up to, a final spray of air freshener on leaving never goes amiss.

And don't forget to take the loo roll with you and don't leave it in there.

These tricks enabled me to survive a whole week at Le Mans when the loo was already gross when we arrived.

Good Luck!
Old 30 Jan 2014, 11:41 (Ref:3362051)   #14
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Presumably the french post rules are the same as ours i.e. no alcohol on post.
On my first visit to Le Mans in 1992 I worked on a French post. There was a party beforehand with a table loaded with bottles - they were making a presentation to one of the French marshals. Later we got relieved by some of them, one of whom placed his glass of wine on the phone box as he arrived!

But it is more strict nowadays, and especially if you are at Poste 70. Chef Tony frowns upon it. So when you are on your down time, you have to be a bit circumspect if you want that bottle of beer or glass of wine.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 15:34 (Ref:3362917)   #15
Bayman
Rookie

England
Whitley Bay
Hi Shelagh, sorry for the delay but I haven't been onto the site for the last couple of days.

I will certainly take your recommendations on board, although I have survived many weekends using the facilities at Croft!

One thing I meant to ask - am I right in thinking it is 4 hours then 4 off during the race?
Old 1 Feb 2014, 15:44 (Ref:3362920)   #16
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
One thing I meant to ask - am I right in thinking it is 4 hours then 4 off during the race?
It depends what post you are on and what their rota is.

Everybody does the start and end but in between is up to the Poste Chef.

Can't remember what hours we did last time. Swallowed up by acting as a downspout holding out the SC board in the pouring rain!
Old 1 Feb 2014, 17:54 (Ref:3362962)   #17
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
may I repeat...
Each post has it's own campsite and way of doing things.
106 works 3 on, 6 off, 2 on 4 off midnight to 0600

from the official handbook "Notes aux chefs de Postes & Comissaires"
L'effectif des commissaires en poste est structures en equipes qui sont alternativement en poste, en reserve ou en repos
The number of marshals on post is in teams that are either on duty, in reserve or at rest.

En Poste is obvious- you are reminded that the world (and race control) is watching

En réserve - means staying booted and suited on the post campsite. In reality on our post as long as there are as many available as on duty the chef de poste is happy not to enforce the booted & suited rule too rigorously. But he will occasionally remind a few to be in their ovies.

En repos - at rest. the big thing they are tough on is no overalls to be worn when off post - ie not using them to blag your way onto other parts of the live circuit to play at speccy or photographer.

As Shelagh said, more for the start. (actually we just use 2 teams) The finish - if you're not trackside then, you have no soul and would be better stickng to the BTCC or suchlike. Noobs will be made to do more of the practice sessions (must include a night session) to help assess ability.

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 1 Feb 2014 at 17:59. Reason: backing up Shelagh
Old 1 Feb 2014, 17:56 (Ref:3362965)   #18
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Shelagh says it depends upon your poste.

Last year we had enough marshals for four shifts. Each shift was three hours with 30 minutes in each part of the post (in, post to flag, out) and then three shifts(9 hours) off, so it was very, very relaxed.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 15:39 (Ref:3363274)   #19
Bayman
Rookie

England
Whitley Bay
Thanks everyone. That's a big help. Looks like the key thing is to be flexible and not go in with too many pre-conceived ideas.

Roll on June!
Old 2 Feb 2014, 16:37 (Ref:3363285)   #20
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At 61 we use 2 on, 4 off the whole time (of which the last two hours are "reserve"). Altho I gotta say that last year I slept through my reserve in the early morning because we'd been so busy overnight, so missed the Rebellion scattering itself and the Armco 100 feet from the tent!

And Shelagh, the air freshener idea is SUPER. Can't bring it from home so I'll have to figure out what "air freshener" translates to....

keke

PS. Bayman, I recommend the "Race Gypsy" chapter of the Fifty Years of Motorsport Marshalling book by George Copeland. The suggestions there will stand you in good stead no matter what country you decide to marshal in.

Last edited by racerkeke; 2 Feb 2014 at 16:47.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 16:54 (Ref:3363289)   #21
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is it as simple as applying through the MSA and registering with the ACO....I thought it was more complicated than that without a personal recommendation?
Old 2 Feb 2014, 17:41 (Ref:3363305)   #22
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
The simple approach still works for some, (think thats what the 2 Daves did at 125) but now that numbers are more strictly controlled and especially if you want a specific post, personal contacts help.

The process is that you can specify a poste on your application.

As I understand it.

After volunteering closes (which is a given date OR when the ACO decide they have enough), the CdP gets a list of those that have volunteered for or the ACO have allocated to his post. He has a maximum number allowed.
Having selected his team, the excess will go back into the pot and be allocated to undersubscribed posts - if there are any.
Shorthanded CdP's then select from the reserve list.
Our previous CdP has in years past received an initial list of 50 plus for 30 places. If he did not know your name, you would only be selected after those he does know and some discussion with his existing team members.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 19:52 (Ref:3363356)   #23
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
And Shelagh, the air freshener idea is SUPER. Can't bring it from home so I'll have to figure out what "air freshener" translates to.....
Keke - when you're in that French Supermarche, just find something with "flowers" on the side of the spraycan. If I can manage it then so "can" you!
Old 2 Feb 2014, 21:06 (Ref:3363385)   #24
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
SUPER. Can't bring it from home so I'll have to figure out what "air freshener" translates to....
I would assume the appropriate French product should be Eau de Toillette? Does what it says on the can.
Old 3 Feb 2014, 07:39 (Ref:3363517)   #25
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I would assume the appropriate French product should be Eau de Toillette? Does what it says on the can.
Very, very clever! Now why didn't I think of that as a response? I bow to you Mr Woolley.