Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 16 Feb 2014, 16:13 (Ref:3369076)   #1
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wyedean Forest Rally

Oh dear - never again.
A complete and utter shambles from start to finish. Up at silly o'clock for the drive down to the Forest of Dean, signed on, no programme, no timetable, no entry list, nothing at all. Told we weren't now needed on the radio so 4 of us were sent to 'marshal' on a 200 yard long straight!
A few cars came and went, then there was a 100 minute gap etc etc then some more cars passed.
Much the same in the afternoon, on our own on the last post before the finish, a few cars passed then a 40 minute delay, a few more cars went by then a 30 minute delay up until the last car passed at 17-45 then we were told to remain in position until the 'Course Closing Car' went through, well after waiting 35 minutes and still not seeing it we, like a lot of other Marshals, gave up and drove home.
During the lengthy delays we did entertained ourselves by singing, songs like Hanging Around by The Stranglers, What a waste by Ian Drury and What a load of rubbish and you don't know what you're doing (England Cricket Choir), then a nice 2 hour drive home.
We've renamed it the Worthless Forest Rally and no we wont be going back next year.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 17:26 (Ref:3369098)   #2
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was spectating on Stage 1, just one short delay to remove a WRC car, then moved to Stage 6, there was a 1 hour delay starting due to an accident on another stage, once started no more problems were had. I will be back again next year.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 18:57 (Ref:3369115)   #3
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's a pity Dave. I was on SS2 and we caused some of the delay as a consequence of having to extricate a competitor and transport to an RV with County. Organisers took the decision to re-start that stage, hence a 70 minute gap.

Our stage was well-run and while there were plenty of marshals (who did very well at the incident I was referring to), I would not have said that there was a surplus.

Try the Woodpecker in August.

Regards

Jim
Old 16 Feb 2014, 22:05 (Ref:3369175)   #4
Wet marshal
Racer

England
TETBURY
Wet marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wyedean 2014

I attended the Wyedean, Not as a Marshal but went as a photographer.

The "wait" of over an hour soon passed and the action continued soon after.

The only problem on this Rally was the lack of communication to the General Public.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 07:45 (Ref:3369263)   #5
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The general Public knew more than we did......
We were on SS2 & 7, it was the lack of information that really annoyed me, it comes to something when the Marshals had to ask the Spectators what's happening. Surely giving the Marshals a programme isn't to much to ask?
We had no idea of the running order, entry list etc.
Certainly wont do this event or anything organised by the Forest of Dean Motor Club ever again. Still angry 2 days later.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 11:49 (Ref:3369316)   #6
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave, I think you have just discovered what rallying entails. On circuits and at Kart racing venues information flow is so much better and it is reasonable to expect a programme.

For rallying I tend to go on the internet and print off maps, entry lists and stage times before setting off from home. All part of the planning process.

May I venture to suggest that, like me, you have reached the age of grumpiness and intolerance. Stick to single venue events, long circuits and karting and vou'll discover karma.

David Morgan
Old 17 Feb 2014, 12:10 (Ref:3369320)   #7
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
I think you're right, I will still go on Rallys that I've been on before that are well run and enjoyable, like the Malcolm Wilson, Cambrian, Mewla etc, but I suppose it's the same as racing, once bitten twice shy. If you regularly have a bad experience with a particular Club or Circuit you dont go back Rallying is much the same.

It was just that the Red Kite a fortnight before was brilliant and for this one to be so bad.........................

20 or so years ago I used to do all the School Races @ Silverstone we always got a Timetable and an Entry list, surely in this day and age that's the absolute minimum you should give a Volunteer.
I'm part of the Organising Team for the 360 Motor Clubs 6 hour Race, we give each Marshal a badge, a programme and a £10 note, to say thank you, because without Marshals we dont have racing.

It's the same at the end of the day, whenever I'm Clerking I always get a course car out straight after the last car takes the Chequred Flag to say Thank you and let the Marshals, Doctors etc etc get away. on somewhere long like the Silverstone Grand prix Circuit I send two cars out, the first one to do this, the second to collect reports etc

Last edited by The Fat Clerk; 17 Feb 2014 at 12:23.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 18:54 (Ref:3369418)   #8
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very surprised you found it that bad, communications on Stage 6 were very good, marshals were kept informed on the delays told when the course cars had started the stage, etc. The only problem I saw was use of the wrong coloured tapes at a junction but no way was I going to stand on a straight on point at a 90 left!

Like Dave says always print an entry list as often programmes are not available.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 07:52 (Ref:3369594)   #9
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
I think it was having to wait 35 minutes for a non existent Closing Car that did it.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 17:07 (Ref:3369784)   #10
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, FC, the details for the Malcolm Wilson are a bit delayed, due to a spot of ash die back......, what, dead wood in a rally stage.... ahem,
Unless we get another change I have you pencilled in doing Flying finish, just after the stage split (a split, in a forest stage!) which is a hairpin, just after a pallet chicane, you gonna need eyes in the back of your head, and probably a few other orifices as well.
Yes, its a pain waiting for the closer, particually if info is lacking. However, its a tricky job doing closer, trying to keep in reasonable time of the last competitor, yet being forced to wait whilst casualties use up their max lateness, which means you try to make up a bit of time in the stages, which can end badly, ask me how I know...
Old 18 Feb 2014, 20:54 (Ref:3369868)   #11
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
I'm nice and calm now and starting to look forward to going up norf, just got 4 days at Stoneleigh first
Old 19 Feb 2014, 19:40 (Ref:3370163)   #12
nate93
Racer

United Kingdom
Tattershall, Lincolnshire
nate93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The closing car issue was a case of exceptional circumstances - the original course closer (which had been keeping well to time) broke down between SS6&7 and one of the other officials had to close in his own freelander 2. Can't really blame him for being slow if I'm honest.

We received an entry list, programme etc as well as goody bag with hat, pen and some other stuff - there were still a few left at the stat of SS1 i believe, not sure about other stages.

I enjoyed the day doing SS1 & 7, did the usual sweeping of stages etc, had one fairly good recovery job where Warren & Paul carried out there usual professional job and eventually left the forest about 8PM I think due to waiting while recoveries were ongoing.

I wouldn't have wanted to be told to marshal a straight though I have to say...especially if I'd turned up as a radio.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 20:52 (Ref:3370497)   #13
ProCo2020
Rookie

England
SE England
ProCo2020 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was a competitor on the Wyedean, Car 37, but my club was running SS7 and provided a number of marshals.

To the best of my knowledge all Marshals should have had a pack, as stated previously, at signing on that contained a programme, hat and pen.

The event had a number of issues through the day including a very big accident that delayed the event for some considerable time and other smaller accidents and incidents that would have lead to delays.

There was, to my recollection, only one stage that started on time for us, but thats rallying I'm afraid.

I'm now looking forward to the Somerset Stages.

Follow me on Twitter @bryanhull or @rallymatcher