Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Sep 2001, 19:45 (Ref:153831)   #1
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice one Monty!!

Montoya once again silences his critics with a stunning move on the 'greatest driver in world'. While Ralf was spinning off JPM put in another contender for pass of the season. Williams really must curb their realiability problems if they are to be a force next year.
Old 30 Sep 2001, 20:17 (Ref:153843)   #2
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not to mention that little bro was on light fuel (2 stops) and unable to keep up with Formula Juan. Great race that ended up like others before. Sort out the glitches William and Formula Juan will do the rest.

Formula Juan has proven he is the King of late braking. Even Schumacher could not believe it how he did it. Looking forward to next season. Formula Juan WDC 2002.
Old 30 Sep 2001, 20:26 (Ref:153851)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
If Montoya is the God that everybody makes out, then overtaking TGF isn't such a big deal...

And I, for one, am not convinced that Ralf's retirement was self-inflicted. The car seemed to snap around extremely quickly, so if that was driver error it was a very strange spin.
Old 30 Sep 2001, 20:29 (Ref:153857)   #4
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
If Montoya is the God that everybody makes out, then overtaking TGF isn't such a big deal...

Now, Now Steph, this nasty taste in your mouth won't last forever
Old 30 Sep 2001, 20:32 (Ref:153858)   #5
BBKing
Veteran

Quote:

And I, for one, am not convinced that Ralf's retirement was self-inflicted. The car seemed to snap around extremely quickly, so if that was driver error it was a very strange spin.
Probably he was too busy "saving his engine" that forgot to turn in and when he did it was too late.
Old 30 Sep 2001, 20:37 (Ref:153863)   #6
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know if all of us are getting the same coverage, but on our (yugoslav) TV we had a lot of on-board camera shots from Montoya's car. Steph, take my word for this - HE was the one with most problems with keeping the car on the track.
And he still beated Your Guy. ;p
Old 30 Sep 2001, 20:41 (Ref:153868)   #7
Sonatrap
Racer

Sonatrap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Probably he was too busy "saving his engine" that forgot to turn in and when he did it was too late

The table has spun round ...now Sir Frank and co. must play catch up with J.P.M.....He´s up for it and just needs a car that is to
Old 30 Sep 2001, 20:41 (Ref:153869)   #8
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
We got the on-board shots from JPM's car as well, and I saw that he was struggling with it.

Ljakse...how can you possibly say that Montoya beat Ralf when neither car finished?
Old 30 Sep 2001, 20:50 (Ref:153874)   #9
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
We got the on-board shots from JPM's car as well, and I saw that he was struggling with it.

Ljakse...how can you possibly say that Montoya beat Ralf when neither car finished?
As you've probably seen in this forum I'm occasionaly wighing about my country, and now, I'm really worried what race was it that I watched.
I mean, this is what I've seen:

JPM on the track with a lot of fuel, usually makes car slow
RS with less fuel, usually makes car a bit faster

JPM overtaking TGF, leading the race, has a good chance of winning
RS having a drive, has no chance of anything, but few points

RS spinning out (I saw it as a driver's mistake)
JPM gets his engine blown while leading the race

What did you see?
Old 30 Sep 2001, 20:51 (Ref:153875)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
haha! It's funny to see some of the people slagging off JPM at the start of the season squirming...
Old 30 Sep 2001, 20:53 (Ref:153880)   #11
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
haha! It's funny to see some of the people slagging off JPM at the start of the season squirming...
Yes, but if we were all 'enlightened Craig', it'd be a boring forum
Old 30 Sep 2001, 21:05 (Ref:153893)   #12
BBKing
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by AlanJones

Yes, but if we were all 'enlightened Craig', it'd be a boring forum
Indeed.

It was not an engine failure for Formula Juan. I heard it was a gear box problem. Not a chance for Formula Juan haters to say he overcook his engine....LOL

His pit stop was a little bit long I think but Schumacher was sulking his way so I think Formula juan would have ahead of Schumacher after his pit stop. Hakkinen's position would have been hard to determine. he pulled enough lead to stay ahead of Schumacher in a matter of few laps. That was great drive.

Last edited by BBKing; 30 Sep 2001 at 21:07.
Old 30 Sep 2001, 21:19 (Ref:153901)   #13
BBKing
Veteran

Little Bro:
Quote:
After my pit stop the handling became even worse. Juan Pablo and myself were on different strategies as we were not sure what the tyre wear would be. It became clear Juan Pablo h ad the better strategy. The spin was my mistake, I lost the rear under braking for the corner. I had many great weekends and for me this was not so great.
At least he did not say he was "saving his engine" this time...LOL. Well done.

Inigo? More Pepto?...LOL
Old 30 Sep 2001, 21:22 (Ref:153907)   #14
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yet another certain win stolen from JPM's grasp, it was a pleasure to watch him catch near spins with buckuts of opposite lock, fantastic!!

Role on 2002 and a new world champion in the name of Juan Pablo Montoya. The humble pie's are ready people, get 'em while their hot! !
Old 30 Sep 2001, 21:23 (Ref:153908)   #15
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'm not sure the mind of man (or at least that of the BMW/Williams team) can produce a car that won't give it up regularly when CART-Juan is driving it. Juan doesn't seem to understand he's in control of a precision instrument, not a truck-like CART car. Even if correlations are notoriously unreliable, they're also the surest sign there is a hidden problem...namely CART-Juan's approach to F-1.

Old 30 Sep 2001, 21:25 (Ref:153911)   #16
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No question about it. Give credit where credit is due. Montoya continued his rich run of form that has seen him out shine his team mate since Silverstone.

Its just like last year. Ralf started the year of really well, slacked of and was out performed by Button in the latter half of the season.

This year, its a bit of the same. Although, Montoya is clearly leagues ahead of Button. However, those who are writing Ralf off are clearly jumping the gun. And remember, he still has 3 race wins to Montoya's 1 this season.

I would like to repeat what I've been saying previously though - Ralf has a LOT to do if he wants to win the Championship.
And unless Williams blitz the field next season, its not going to happen in 2002, because both he and his team are not consistent enough.
Old 30 Sep 2001, 21:29 (Ref:153913)   #17
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing
Little Bro:

Inigo? More Pepto?...LOL
Hehehe, I'm almost ready to eat my words. He was impressive in that pass of TGF, very true. But, boy... blown engines sure do seem to follow him around...

One more pass like that and I'll jump on the bandwagon..
Old 30 Sep 2001, 21:30 (Ref:153914)   #18
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing

Inigo? More Pepto?...LOL
Hehehe, I'm almost ready to eat my words. He was impressive in that pass of TGF, very true. But, boy... blown engines sure do seem to follow him around...

One more pass like that and I'll jump on the bandwagon..
Old 30 Sep 2001, 22:14 (Ref:153957)   #19
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now this is funny, everybody is talking Juan up to be some sort of God well Ralf is dismissed as a no hoper, if you'll recall at the start of the season it was exactly the opposite. The ability of certain members on this forum to completely change their outlook on things at the slightest change in circumstances is completely amazing. I'm a fan of both Ralf and Juan(although I slightly favour Ralf), and of course my opinion now is the same as it was at the start of the season. Ralf and Juan are both very talented drivers with a lot of potential to become WC's in the futur. Well I'll certainly admit that JPM has been very impressive as of late, I still maintain that Ralf has been the better driver. JPM has a lot of raw speed, there's no doubt about that, but his mistakes earlier in the season were very costly to him, that's why he has 25 points to Ralf's 48, plain and simple.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; 30 Sep 2001 at 22:15.
Old 30 Sep 2001, 22:22 (Ref:153971)   #20
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Who's saying that Ralf is a no-hoper?? What I'm saying is that I MIGHT have been wrong about JPM, and that he, TGF, and Ralph might have a nice 3 way battle next year.

I don't have to like Juan Pablo, but I'm beginning to think that I can no longer doubt his ability. He's not TGF for sure, but he's looking pretty strong.
Old 30 Sep 2001, 22:26 (Ref:153977)   #21
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I lot of people are saying he's a no hoper, at least that's the impression I get, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 30 Sep 2001, 23:25 (Ref:154018)   #22
Sonatrap
Racer

Of course Ralph is far from a no hoper .
Thing is JPM got a huge slagging off earlier in the season with only a very few of us at that time not loosing faith...come the present run of good form and it´s hard to resist a few light hearted jabs.
(Particularly following Ralphies´ Engine Saving Comments)
Montoya keeps viewers on the edge of their seats . I hope he is the herald of a more thrilling era in F1 which was becoming dangerously predictable until very recently.
And if Ralph can keep up all the better.
Old 30 Sep 2001, 23:36 (Ref:154026)   #23
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall mentioning JPM's considerable skills early on this season, and said at that time as soon as he was in the proper physical condition, and had made the adjustments to driving a much "quicker" car, that he would be a force to be reckoned with.
I think his performance today speaks for itself. Another victory lost through no fault of his own. But the message is being sent, no question.

I've never slagged Ralf at all, he's a very talented driver, but he's in a big fight now, and we'll see how mentally strong he is, in the next year.
Old 30 Sep 2001, 23:42 (Ref:154028)   #24
Sonatrap
Racer

From ITV´S LAP BY LAP ACCOUNT:

Lap 33: Montoya gets in the Ferraris tow down the start-finish straight and makes a dive into the first corner. Another mega Montoya special. The last of the lake brakers takes the lead

Has anybody got any decent shots they´d like to share?
Old 1 Oct 2001, 00:03 (Ref:154043)   #25
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not really sure how this pass was anymore special than any other performed going into that corner during the race. Juan had the faster car, and passed Michael in much the same way a faster car would lap a slower car. He locked up a tire, which was in actual fact, a mistake.

Juan is a good driver, but not nearly as good as everyone makes out... He's one of the top drivers in F1, but hardly the second coming everyone makes out.