Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Oct 2001, 20:34 (Ref:154960)   #1
Spiddy-Spid
Rookie

Spiddy-Spid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sato for Jordan

Heard a rumour (and seen on websites) that Sato is near/has completed a deal to race with Jordan next year, and beyond.

Does he deserve this? Is it purely because of his links with Honda? Is the kid really good, or has he always had the best equipment? And *how* do you spin behind the safety car??? (Pizzonia!) In exactly the spot the accident happened that brought out the sc in the first place??
Old 2 Oct 2001, 20:49 (Ref:154966)   #2
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Please say its true. I think he is a genuine talent and i hope he makes it.

As for Pizzonia you've got more reason to spin where there was an accident (maybe oil,water,debris or just poo driving) anywhere that there wasnt an accident is just poo driving although to be honest to spin behind the safety car is just poo... i'm gonna shut up now...
Old 2 Oct 2001, 21:01 (Ref:154973)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: Sato for Jordan

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiddy-Spid
Heard a rumour (and seen on websites) ...
Welcome Spiddy-Spid !!

Could you tell what websites you saw that ?
Old 2 Oct 2001, 21:06 (Ref:154977)   #4
Spiddy-Spid
Rookie

Spiddy-Spid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dailyf1.com suggests he had a secret test with the team last Friday.
Old 2 Oct 2001, 21:26 (Ref:154998)   #5
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh god NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO he isn't as talented as everyone thinks!!!! he is purely driving a talented engine!!!!!!!!!
Old 2 Oct 2001, 21:30 (Ref:155004)   #6
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Got any proof!

I dont think it could be hidden to be honest.
Old 2 Oct 2001, 21:36 (Ref:155013)   #7
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
ummmm actuallly i do! he was publically asked on the f3 on 4 programmes and he blatently just mumbled out of it while trevor carlin just refused to answer!
The engine fiddles in f3 have been happening for years!!!! they are always covered up and never exposed - its part of it - like the money is
Old 2 Oct 2001, 22:18 (Ref:155037)   #8
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good move. I was hoping EJ would sign Sato or Wilson. Now it looks likely that Wilson will be the Jordan test driver for 1 year, which will probably lead to a 2003 race seat elsewhere. Everyones a winner.

Looks like its time for Jean to start looking at CART. Better be quick.. there's only a couple of seats left!
Old 2 Oct 2001, 22:49 (Ref:155062)   #9
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordon need experience and placing Fissy with Alesi is a good blend, Alesi has done a good job and deserves another year,
Old 2 Oct 2001, 22:52 (Ref:155065)   #10
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
And *how* do you spin behind the safety car??? (Pizzonia!)
I don't know! But Coulthard managed to spin out on the warm up lap, so anything's possible. And remember Button crashed out of the 2000 Italian GP because he didn't notice that the guy in front had braked
Old 3 Oct 2001, 01:15 (Ref:155112)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
And *how* do you spin behind the safety car???
Plenty of talented drivers have done it. Magny-Cours '99, I think three guys spun off, and I can't remember how many guys went off at Sepang this year, although both those times, the track looked more like the Nepean River.

Zanardi did it at Vancouver '98 (before charging from last to fourth, to clich the championship).

I also remember Dario Franchitti stuffing it in the wall at turn 1 (Elkhart Lake) in '97 under yellow.

As for Sato, it is pretty much accepted that the Carlin boys get the best engines. Spot the similarities - a Honda based engine supplier, a team with two drivers with strong Honda links (including one Japanese). It seems to make sense that this team would get preferential treatment to a team like Jag junior, who are their f1 opposition.
Old 3 Oct 2001, 02:17 (Ref:155134)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are a number of drivers with the possibility of grabbing the second Jordan seat - Wilson, Sato, Alesi, Alonso, even Button has been linked.

However, IMO it will come down to between Sato and Wilson. Sato because of Honda, Wilson because he's a Brit and will keep B&H happy.

Whoever gets the seat, though, will deserve it. They are both coming from winning championships......

......unlike a certain Jenson Button!!!
Old 3 Oct 2001, 06:51 (Ref:155172)   #13
Takuma
Racer

Takuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's likely that Sato will get the Jordan seat for 2002.

He is probably the most talented driver I have seen in ten seasons of watching British F3, even better than Pizzonia and Magnussen.

If he gets the Jordan drive it will be because he is the best friver for the job, NOT because of a link with Honda.

As he was at silverstone all day last friday it was impossible for him to have a secret test with Jordan, who were in the usa anyway!!!!

The spin behind the safety car was caused by him trying to get some heat back in to his tyres after a total farce of the safety car picking up the wrong car.
Old 3 Oct 2001, 08:21 (Ref:155193)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Three points to make here folks.

1. Because Jordan were in the USA doesn't mean Sato could not have tested at Silverstone. Don't forget that F1 teams run a race and test team.

2. It is actually quite easy to spin while following the SC. Drivers are constantly weaving about the track to get heat back into the tyres. If they hit a patch of oil or water while doing this, it's the easiest thing in the world to spin.

3. Jenson Button is under contract to Williams and it is they who would negotiate with Jordan. Button has strong ties to Renault going back to his F3 days when he came third in the British F3 championship in a vastly inferior car to the Paul Stewart Racing guys. Button even beat his much fancied team mate that year, something many forget.
Old 3 Oct 2001, 08:46 (Ref:155194)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sato will probably get it, i don't think he will do better than Alesi though.
Old 3 Oct 2001, 11:43 (Ref:155252)   #16
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
The Moon Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EJ will definitely plump for a "young gun" - be it for Sato or Wilson... I still think that there should be a place for Alesi in F1 but time is running out. Unfortunately, although very reliable, Alesi has proved not much quicker than Frentzen in the second Jordan... Here's hoping that Alesi will give a great performance at Suzuka...
Old 3 Oct 2001, 12:31 (Ref:155281)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Justin Wilson has to be the man. Sato has potential but there's little doubt his championship was a fix by Honda, to get a Japanese winner. Despite having an advantage in build, and a huge finanical advantage, no Japanese driver has ever succeeded in F1, and its high time that changed, but it oughtn't be here as Justin's talent has been proved several times over. Alesi has had his day though.
Old 3 Oct 2001, 14:47 (Ref:155336)   #18
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Does Sato get "better" engines than Davidson then?
Old 3 Oct 2001, 17:48 (Ref:155409)   #19
Takuma
Racer

Takuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Steven Green's information,

On fri sept 28th Sato was taking part in F3 testing and qualifying at on the silverstone international circuit, there were no F1 cars at the circuit that day. Also the only configuration that is now licensed for F1 testing is the full GP course, a configuration not availible for testing in a race meeting and test is been held on the International circuit.

On the previous friday, sept 21st, he was at Spa for the Elf F3 Masters race. As F3 testing was from 13.30-14.30CET approx, the logistics of doing an F1 test the same day were almost impossible.

I am FULLY aware that F1 teams opperate race and test teams.

Perhaps before you start treating people as idiots you should check you facts are correct.
Old 3 Oct 2001, 17:56 (Ref:155418)   #20
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
Does Sato get "better" engines than Davidson then?
admit i was right paul!!!! admit it in public!
Old 3 Oct 2001, 18:08 (Ref:155428)   #21
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Im admitting that Carlin have better engines but no-one answered my sato vs davidson query so i dont know...
Old 3 Oct 2001, 18:13 (Ref:155435)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Takuma dear chap,

Before you accuse me of treating people like idiots, let me make myself clear. The point I was making is that F1 run race teams and test teams and therefore it is quite possible for one team to be at one venue, and the other somewhere else. As I live nowhere near Silverstone, I had no idea what was or wasn't going on there, neither do I care a great deal.

May I suggest in the friendliest of manners that you read the posts properly before you reply in such a rude manner!

Thank you (offers a hand of frienship if you care to accept)

Stephen.
Old 3 Oct 2001, 18:17 (Ref:155438)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Takuma,

By way of an addition, in many of the previous threads regarding Jordan and Sato, I have been saying for months that takuma will get the drive for next year. I've watched him race in F3 several times this year and happen to agree with you that he has a natural talent. I sincerely hope he gets the chance to prove himself at the height of motor racing. Do you perhaps have any inside information about that?

Stephen.
Old 3 Oct 2001, 18:44 (Ref:155452)   #24
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Sato will get the Jordan driver because eddie wants honda engines.

Sato is backed by honda and is a talented driver, he is the best japanese driver for along time and has a genuine chance at winning races and world titles in f1 in the future.

When Honda decide which team to supply, Jordan or BAR, they are going to pick Jordan because of the Japanese connection.

This will work both ways for both parties involved. Honda will sell more cars than their main Japanese rival toyota and Jordan will get a long stable future with an engine manufactorer.
Old 3 Oct 2001, 19:24 (Ref:155465)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Takuma
For Steven Green's information,

On fri sept 28th Sato was taking part in F3 testing and qualifying at on the silverstone international circuit, there were no F1 cars at the circuit that day. Also the only configuration that is now licensed for F1 testing is the full GP course, a configuration not availible for testing in a race meeting and test is been held on the International circuit.

On the previous friday, sept 21st, he was at Spa for the Elf F3 Masters race. As F3 testing was from 13.30-14.30CET approx, the logistics of doing an F1 test the same day were almost impossible.

I am FULLY aware that F1 teams opperate race and test teams.

Perhaps before you start treating people as idiots you should check you facts are correct.
Welcome Takuma !!

Mr Sato, I presume...

This is a highly friendly forum, and I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as we do !

So feel free to express your opinions, but keep it in a friendly level, please.

Nice having you aboard