Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 17 Oct 2001, 20:50 (Ref:162235)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
NASCAR makes safety mandate

I applaud NASCAR for mandating a head and neck support device for all drivers in their WC, BGN, and CTS series immediately. This is a good move for them and is an excellent step toward improving driver safety. Thank you NASCAR.

This came from NASCAR Today radio newscast today.
Old 17 Oct 2001, 22:29 (Ref:162288)   #2
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news. Finally.

They also addressed some other safety issues:
Quote:
- It is not ready to approve the energy-absorbing "Humpy Bumper" because test speeds on the device have not compared with the racing speeds.

- It is working with the Indy Racing League in the development of "soft-wall" technology and with manufacturers on car design and energy absorbing materials.

- Testing on accident data recorders has been successful and NASCAR is on schedule to have the black boxes as a regular feature in all cars by the start of next season. Testing will continue at Talladega Superspeedway this weekend, with boxes in all 43 cars.

- It is interviewing candidates for a full-time medical liaison who would attend every Winston Cup event and keep detailed medical histories on all drivers.

- An occupant-restraint study announced in August is under way, with the results to be implemented before next season.

- Progress continues to be made in the driver compartment, including seating and additional padding in the cockpit.
It looks like they might finally be moving in a positive direction.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 11:12 (Ref:162433)   #3
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone, especially the open-wheel types wer/are so quick to say that NASCAR isn't intrested in the saefty of the drivers, won't make any moves to accept any changes, etc, I'm sure that now they will find some way to critize what NASCAR is doing with regards to this, and other safety announcements. NASCAR has said, all along that they were studying various things to do, that they did not want to rush into something for the sake of just reacting, and making a move the might eventually make the situation worse. Research, and development of equipment, new systems, etc takes time. I applaude them for not making a knee-jerk reaction decision, for taking the time to do it right, and for the changes, that will ultimatly prove to reduce the risk to the drivers. Just as it took almost a year for them, along with Firestone to development/adapt the fuel cell, and a couple of years to develop the safety innerliner tire (after the accident that claimed the life of "Fireball" Roberts, and blowouts that killed or injured several drivers, these two safety items saved numerous lifes. They were done right, which took time, and I'm sure that this will be the same case again!
Old 18 Oct 2001, 13:17 (Ref:162471)   #4
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news. I really feel that NASCAR and Mike Helton should take credit for biting the bullet on this one. We all heard about how NASCAR's doesn't care about driver's safety and how they were afraid to mandate something out of fear of a lawsuit, but folks, NASCAR just beat every major series in mandating this device.

I really felt that due to the differences between stock cars and open wheel cars, for which the HANS originally was develope for, that NASCAR would have been wise to "highly recommend" its use until they gained more information about it from actual crashes; all the while giving drivers time to perfect it for stock car use. All the Winston Cup drivers were wearing them anyway except for Tony Stewart, so NASCAR could have enjoyed the free testing session.

Now, I can breath a little easier. Whenever NASCAR solves the roll bar and driver cockpit concerns, which they are currently working on, I feel that we will virtually see the end of fatalities in NASCAR. That is so long as they continue to keep speeds where they are at. God knows that after seeing Geoffrey Bodine's crash a few years ago at Daytona when compared to Alex Zanardi's in CART and Davey Hamilton's in the IRL this year, NASCAR is light years ahead of open wheel in providing the necessary structural chassis integrity and protection to the driver.

In summary, we can all thank Jeff Burton, Dale Jarrett and Jeff Green for taking a vocal stance on these devices.There will still be fatalities in the sport in the future but they will be very few and far between.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 18 Oct 2001 at 13:20.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 13:37 (Ref:162478)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have never said that NASCAR does not care about the safety of its drivers, but I do believe they have dragged their feet on the issue. No one in NASCAR wants to see any driver get hurt or killed. But I do believe that NASCAR has had legal counsel advise them against taking a responsible stance on safety because it leaves them open to litigation. Unfortunately in America, that is the nature of the beast.

I applaud NASCAR and the drivers for taking a positive stance on this issue and I am sure that they will find hundreds of ways to make the device easier and more comfortable to race with. I am not one of those who says that Dale Earnhardt Sr. would be alive today if he had worn the device, too many other factors were involved in his death, but I think we can all see that it might have given him a better chance to survive. That's all features like seat belts, helmets, roll cages and race seats can offer, a chance to survive a crash.

I also applaud NASCAR for bringing in medical professionals and starting a medical database for the drivers. Just the fact that the attending physician will know that a driver is allergic to a particular anesthetic or has a history of a concussions can make the difference in saving a driver's life.
Old 19 Oct 2001, 01:24 (Ref:162713)   #6
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't help but wonder where this will leave Tony Stewart, seeing how he is claustrophobic. Will he have to force himself to get over it? Is it even possible for him to do that? If not, is his NASCAR career over?

Stewart still has issues with restraints
Old 19 Oct 2001, 12:47 (Ref:162887)   #7
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tony Stewart has worn one of the devices before during a race after much urging from people around him. He said he didn't like either one and was working on developing his own.