Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 18 Oct 2001, 22:08 (Ref:162680)   #1
Steve West
Rookie

Steve West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Die-cast Model cars

Good evening folks,

I'm going to be honest with you all...

I'm evaluating the possibility of setting up a shop to sell die-cast models which will include cars. I'd really like to gauge what the market is like in the UK, and so far no such material has ever been produced for our domestic market.

I would therefore be very keen to hear from any of you who collect or buy the occasional die-cast model to drop me an email if you would be happy to answer a small survey (10 questions only).

So there you go, I've been honest and up front about my request, and I feel this will be of huge benefit to me and I'd like to take this opportunity in thanking you for your cooperation in advance.

Kindest regards

Steve West.

Please email me at: stevewest_uk2001@yahoo.com and I'll reply with the questions (remember only 10).
Old 19 Oct 2001, 10:44 (Ref:162814)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hi, Steve and welcome.

I'm moving this thread to Armchair Enthusiast forum, where I think you'll find many people who is interested
Old 22 Oct 2001, 03:00 (Ref:163742)   #3
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck, but it is a really tough business. Sometimes Replicarz.com blows out the year old stuff for as little as $5.00 and the little guy will just get creamed. I bought 10 of the Visteon Panoz models in 1/43 for $5.00 each. And they are damn nice pieces, nicer than some handbuilts I have seen. Or built.

Formula one stuff doesn't get the axe too much except stuff like the Minardis and Prosts. Cars like McLarens and Senna, Schumacher stuff actually appreciate in value, but it is a tricky market. Know exactly what you are doing and you might be ok. Still, you have to go up against Replicarz and the other biggies who buy in huge quantities and get the stuff first. Once the market is saturated, you get yours and Replicarz has it on sale for $5.00. I'm not saying a business savvy guy can't make a go of it, but it is no easy nut to crack.

You might do better looking into the 1/43 resin kit business. There are only three or four guys who regularly import the stuff and none of them are reliable, so I would be loyal to anyone who could get me kits, parts and decals. But, once again, another tough business.

Either way, i would appreciate another reliable vendor, so if you get going, send me a PM and I will do my best to support you.
Old 25 Oct 2001, 21:29 (Ref:165532)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll second what Dr Austin said about the kit market. Supply is tricky, there are tiny manufacturers begging for a spot of marketing, and the values of the kits are far more stable than those of the mass-market diecasts.

I for one will always fight shy of paying £25 for a Minichamp or Best when I just know it will be on discount somewhere a year down the line.

Massive discounting and overproduction is what has forced the Vitesse/Onyx/Quartzo brands to the wall just lately. I've got to confess the last Quartzo I bought (for £5) was the Surtees Honda F1, and that was only to get the wheels to fit to an SRC kit because the diecast moulding was a better job than the kit!

By the way, Steve - I sent you an email. Did you want to send me that questionnaire of yours?
Old 25 Oct 2001, 22:18 (Ref:165558)   #5
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Tim,

What do you build? Do you have any photos you can post? Would you like to trade kits, decals or reference material? I have 12,000 photos on cd, so I can e-mail you anything.
Old 25 Oct 2001, 22:30 (Ref:165561)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi Doc!

I'll build most anything, but more often than not it'll be 50s/60s sports racers. Right now I'm wrestling with the Jade Cooper Jaguar T38, as well as trying to get a K&R Ferrari 625 to sit realistically on a set of K&R wires wheels.

Not one for taking pics, I'm afraid, as my handiwork just doesn't bear close scrutiny, but living 15 miles from the infamous Grand Prix Models showroom, I'm up for swaps!
Old 26 Oct 2001, 05:28 (Ref:165648)   #7
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Tim,

There are two kits I just can't find anywhere. One is the Gulf 917 from Spa 1970. It had a special tail that was only used that one time. Starter made the kit and it was called a "flathood." The other is the Sauber C-6, which had a delta shaped rear wing. It raced in BASF, Canadian tire and Bellenger livery (my order of preferance, by the way) and any of them would be a good find for me. Can you help?

What is your Holy Grail? I am always scrounging around for kits and find alot of stuff for friends, so let me know what you are missing and I'll keep an eye open.
Attached Thumbnails
82lm19.jpg  
Old 29 Oct 2001, 23:11 (Ref:167186)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
This is going to bug me. I know there's been a kit of a BASF Sauber C6, but perusal of a small stack of "Four Small Wheels" fails to locate it. I'll keep my eye out though.

My own personal holy grails are a pair of rally themed cars. First, and ridiculously hard to find considering how recent it is, is the Provence kit of the 1963 Monte Carlo Rally Ford Falcon Sprint. The other is the old 1970s GPM kit of the Vauxhall Chevette HSR. Very crude by today's standards, but still the only game in town if you want a 1/43rd Chevette.
Old 16 Feb 2002, 04:26 (Ref:216954)   #9
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://members.aol.com/esspace//905-1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/esspace//905-2.jpg
Old 18 Feb 2002, 23:40 (Ref:218687)   #10
Dr. Austin
Veteran

I don't know why you put up the Peugeot pictures, but the Quatrzo is a pretty good model. They were on sale for about $10 US at Replicarz awhile back.
Old 19 Feb 2002, 01:49 (Ref:218712)   #11
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i know, those are pictures of the model i own
Old 19 Feb 2002, 01:55 (Ref:218713)   #12
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Oh. oops.

Funny how Quartzo made the 1992 winning 905, but never made the 1993 winner, even though they have the same bodywork. Considering that the new Quartzo 905's are made from the older junky Vitesse 905 moulds, they are really good. They could have done a little better with the glass, but it is still easier than building it and almost as nice. The resin 905 glass is a real nightmare, so I was glas when the quatrzos turned out so good.

Anybody got an IXO Bentley yet?