Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 22 Oct 2001, 00:08 (Ref:163709)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Look ma, no HANS

(Sorry about the headline).What do you all make of Tony Stewart's protest against wearign the HANS device, which is now mandetory in the series, claiming it makes him feel claustrophobic. Personally I can sympathise, adn I'm sure anyone else who's ever had to wear a medical neck collar or brace will as well. Racing is about taking risks, and barign the consequences. No-one else's safety is being endangered, so waht's the fuss?
Old 22 Oct 2001, 02:53 (Ref:163741)   #2
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's time people took responsibility for their own descisions and accepted the consequences, this isn't kindergarten . If Tony Stewart doesn't want to wear the HANS device, and he think's it's worth the risk, then I say let him. We have to stop pampering these people("Now you put on your Hans device like a good little boy, ok?" ) and let them live(or not) with their choices.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; 22 Oct 2001 at 02:54.
Old 22 Oct 2001, 06:24 (Ref:163768)   #3
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I generally think drivers should have a choice about these devices but at the same time, the deaths in NASCAR have hurt the sport and in all likelihood, I feel that these devices would have prevented some, perhaps most of the deaths. I don't know why any driver would NOT want to wear one. It seems like a no-brainer to me which could be the cost of not wearing one.

However I was thinking the other day, what is to stop a driver from unlatching the device once they leave the pit area? When the race is over, they can always say that they unlatched it on the cool down lap.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 22 Oct 2001 at 06:26.
Old 22 Oct 2001, 14:15 (Ref:163923)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem for Stewart lie sin that he does not feel claustrophobic, he is claustrophobic. He struggled his first year in the IRL with the confined cockpit and close in neck collar used. He will sort it out because he wants to win so much.
Old 22 Oct 2001, 16:56 (Ref:164008)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"However I was thinking the other day, what is to stop a driver from unlatching the device once they leave the pit area? When the race is over, they can always say that they unlatched it on the cool down lap. "

Nice idea if they get through the race ok, but what if they have a big accident? If they are found unconscious, or at the least injured beyond point of being able to quickly reattach it, they will be in official hot water. But I stand by what I said, its his life and his decision, and I ahte the look of them as well.
Old 23 Oct 2001, 11:57 (Ref:164379)   #6
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, to me it's kind of like the seatbelt law. I know the law says I have to wear one, but they drive me nuts. I can't move in my seat unless I unbuckle the thing. But I know if I wreck my car I'll most likely need it. So I wear it, but I wear it a little loose. That way I comply with the law, and I'm at least 50% better off than I would be if I didn't wear it at all, and I can move without having to stop and adjust the seatbelts.

I know one thing for certain, I could never drive a race car. All those belts and shoulder straps, and now to have your head tied down too... It would bug me to no end. So I can understand how they feel.
Old 29 Oct 2001, 16:05 (Ref:166969)   #7
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Raoul Duke
It's time people took responsibility for their own descisions and accepted the consequences, this isn't kindergarten . If Tony Stewart doesn't want to wear the HANS device, and he think's it's worth the risk, then I say let him. We have to stop pampering these people("Now you put on your Hans device like a good little boy, ok?" ) and let them live(or not) with their choices.
Then they need to repeal the helmet, fire suit and seatbelt rules too.

Last edited by Redneck; 29 Oct 2001 at 16:07.
Old 29 Oct 2001, 23:50 (Ref:167208)   #8
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand Redneck, and that post of mine was maybe written in haste. But I get sick and tired when a driver winges about a new safety device that makes him uncomfortable. We need to enforce safety but we can't pamper these drivers either. At some point, you've gotta take responcibility for your own descisions.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 14:34 (Ref:168781)   #9
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually I do agree with you. Racing is dangerous. It always has been. and always will be. Personally I am tired of the whining also. I am a big fan of the motorcycle races at the Isle of Man TT races and always wanted to cut a +100 mph lap there. For those of you not familiar with this place, one lap is 37 miles around the island, over the mountain and through little villages. They have averaged two deaths per year since 1904.

My philosophy is... if you want safety, take up knitting.

Last edited by Redneck; 2 Nov 2001 at 14:36.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 16:00 (Ref:168839)   #10
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One thing that many don't realize is that saftey devices also work for others as well. Would you want to be ont he track with another racer who is not wearing a helmet or his safety belts? I would not. They become a hazard to others as well.

Tags
hans