Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 2 Nov 2001, 09:00 (Ref:168633)   #1
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Peugeot Out - Confirmed

Peugeot's withdrawel from the BTCC has been confirmed - read the story on Autosport.com
Old 2 Nov 2001, 10:01 (Ref:168645)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmmm, Autosport says that it is all Richard Burns fault! Well I exaggerate, but I thought it was funny and perhaps an indication of how Autosport writes nowadays.

Anyway, the matter in hand.

It does seem that Peugeot (and Peugeot UK) have realised that rally success gets them more coverage than following Vauxhalls in the BTCC. Not surprising really, after all Rallying is well supported here. Would things have been different if the touring car had been more competitive? Maybe, but overall the support for the series is at a low at a moment (because it is uncompetitive?).
Old 2 Nov 2001, 10:14 (Ref:168649)   #3
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a shame, no works Pugs in 02

I believe things would have been different if they had have maybe got a few wins under there belt this year.

Still I hope someone has the courage to buy up this years cars (At least 2 and a half, Soper half) and make an effort to run them in next years touring class.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 10:23 (Ref:168653)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Lets be honest, Peugeot has never been that good in BTCC even in the days of Patrick Watts. They have always concentrated on their WRC efforts and touring cars have always been a poor second. Maybe if the results had been better last year it may have staved off the closure for another year, somehow I don't think so though. So, what's going to happen to Vic Lee?
Old 2 Nov 2001, 10:46 (Ref:168668)   #5
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peugeot has withdrawn

Peugeot has confirmed this morning it is pulling out of BTCC to save its pennies to pay its new rally signing Richard Burns's wages in 2002.

The budget clearly was pretty tight and as a multi-car manufacturer ploughing millions into the sport each I can't blame them. World Rallying has masses more money going into its TV coverage next year and a guaranteed slot on a UK terrestrial channel and has five/six/seven other major manufacturers all turning out two or three car works teams. massive competition, exposure, kudos.

On the other hand the BTCC, once the greatest touring car series in the world, has no TV deal to shout about having severed its ties with Grandstand which made the BTCC what it was in the first place - does anyone really believe ITV or C4 coverage will be any better - and at a time when topline drivers need to be brought back to bring back the crowds the people in charge are allowing teams to sign up rich 17-year-old kiddies with bsod all racecraft and experience. Poor quality of driver and zero exposure to shout about.

I'd love to see the BTCC back to something how it used to be - we all would. But someone needs to start getting something right very soon before it really is too late.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 12:17 (Ref:168713)   #6
MJB RETURNS
Racer

MJB RETURNS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
give the btcc time to sort it self out. this year,has been postive.few more days and we will find out about tv deal and if honda and proton can join at a late stage then i cant see y not others will.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 13:43 (Ref:168752)   #7
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
To be honest, the worldwide coverage that Peugeot will get for the rally team far outweighs anything they'd ever have got from the BTCC....
Old 2 Nov 2001, 13:47 (Ref:168754)   #8
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore

It does seem that Peugeot (and Peugeot UK) have realised that rally success gets them more coverage than following Vauxhalls in the BTCC. Not surprising really, after all Rallying is well supported here. Would things have been different if the touring car had been more competitive? Maybe, but overall the support for the series is at a low at a moment (because it is uncompetitive?).
The big issue is that the WRC programme gets them worldwide exposure- how much coverage does the BTCC get in Italy or Finland...?-

I don't think that the level of support for the BTCC at present probably made that much difference on this one- for Peugeot's marketing guys, it's a simple question of what's more promatable- world championship success or national championships...
Old 2 Nov 2001, 13:55 (Ref:168757)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Clearly there is more importance to a international series than a national one. However it seems that Peugeot UK are the ones that think that it makes more sense to use the WRC as a promotional tool, especially now that it has a Brit. on board.

It's not a case of BTCC getting less worldwide exposure, but it's more a case of international Rallying getting more useful national exposure in Britain than the BTCC!
Old 2 Nov 2001, 14:04 (Ref:168764)   #10
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Why, why, why, oh why did Peugeot have to leave!?!? I know why, but I am sooo dissapointed that they left. However, I shouldn't be too unhappy, as at least we have 2 new manufacturers for next year.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 17:39 (Ref:168888)   #11
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you think Peugeot will sell their '01 406s to anyone? Or for that matter, do you think anyone will buy and race the car??
Old 2 Nov 2001, 19:18 (Ref:168924)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Well if someone has the money I'm sure they will sell them. That's unless Vic Lee runs them as a privateer team?
Old 2 Nov 2001, 21:44 (Ref:168973)   #13
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vic Lee apparenrtly now owns the remaining 406s and Peugeot has pledged technical support to teams running them in the BTCC.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 23:58 (Ref:169086)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Well thats some good news at least
Old 3 Nov 2001, 01:08 (Ref:169147)   #15
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Damm you Burns! Well at least it looks like there should still be some pugs around next season. Privateers are a definate option and there could be some support for Vic Lee and co in running eithera 306, 307 or 406 next season!
Old 3 Nov 2001, 10:23 (Ref:169243)   #16
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 3 Nov 2001, 10:37 (Ref:169255)   #17
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

I can understand why they have not bothered with the 02 BTCC, but I hope Vic Lee Plugs on with the Pugs
Old 3 Nov 2001, 16:59 (Ref:169332)   #18
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon HTML will buys this years Pugs-i cant see Vic Lee plugging on w/no financial backing; Hopefully Harrison, Moen & co. can do a better job next year.
Old 3 Nov 2001, 18:16 (Ref:169338)   #19
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But I thought you guys said the 406s are overweight and the engines are unreliable at high output levels? If a Works team without it's huge(??) financial resources cannot get the cars competitive, how could a privateer do it? Has there been an example in the past where a Privateer managed to be competitive with a car that a Works team couldn't manage?
Old 4 Nov 2001, 09:26 (Ref:169571)   #20
Crash and Burn
Racer

Crash and Burn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the point of the BTCC now????????
Old 4 Nov 2001, 14:44 (Ref:169689)   #21
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash and Burn
What is the point of the BTCC now????????
Currently, Vauxhall, Barwell, and Proton are the only teams confirmed. That is 6 cars, once MG confirm(3 cars), it will be 9 cars, Honda, 11, TMSR have said 4 IS200's definitely!(But you know what they said this year!), thats 15, and that is not a bad grid, and none of this is over the top in terms of grid estimation. And hopefully a few more...
Old 4 Nov 2001, 15:09 (Ref:169692)   #22
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't want to fall into the pointless list-making trap, but there is a slight problem...

There are probably not that many works/manufacturer-supported cars. At the moment, we are more-or-less sure of:

Vauxhall Motorsport - Muller & ???
MG Sport and Racing - Reid & Hughes
Proton Team Petronas - ??? & ???

That is six cars - simply not enough.

In theory, there could be the following extra works cars:

Vauxhall satellite-team - ??? & ???
MG Sport and Racing #2 - ??? & ???

Which would give us 10 cars - OK as a minimum, I think.

All the other entries (e.g. TMS-R, Barwell) are privateers. Ideally, we'll get enough for a decent privateer cup, e.g.:

Barwell Motorsport - Chilton & ???
TotalMotorsport Racing - ??? & ???
TotalMotorsport Racing #2 - ??? & ???

Plus interesting enrties like... re-covered JSM Alfa 147s, a Team Dynamics car, the rumoured Mercedes C-class pair etc.
Old 4 Nov 2001, 16:40 (Ref:169712)   #23
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

We should definatly not rule out JSM next year they have made some positive results with a car that has a little or no manufacturer support.
Old 4 Nov 2001, 16:54 (Ref:169718)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I'm told that Matt Neal has sold his Nissan BTCC/ETCC car for £50,000 last week. The guy who bought it stuffed it badly at Brands hatch yesterday (Saturday) Took out a whole run of armco. Driver ok.
Old 4 Nov 2001, 17:12 (Ref:169737)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about people running 2001 cars?