Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 25 Nov 2001, 20:49 (Ref:178800)   #1
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why buy tickets???

This is a just a question and I don't want any slagging critism for it.
I attended the Rally GB on Saturday for the first time, and it was also the first time I have ever seen a rally before despite being a massive fan of motorsport and rallying for years. I was totally blown away by the skill that was needed on roads that were hard enough to walk up let alone thrash a car round!

Anyway, the question I am asking is this. My girlfriend and I got to Cardiff at 8am from Birmingham and bought a day pass at £25 each yet we never got asked for our tickets once so whats the point selling them! We asked a few people on the stages where they check the tickets and none of these people had brought any tickets!

Therefore, whats the point buying tickets when no one is going to check them? I have got no quibbles paying to watch as this is what pays for the sport but the organisers should at least make sure they take your tickets and stop the people who haven't brought any, or next year I'll just get in for free. It can't be that hard!

Well done to Burns btw!

Andy Roberts
www.andyroberts.uk.com
Old 26 Nov 2001, 10:33 (Ref:178934)   #2
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The idea behind the tickets is supposedly to control numbers, and also presumably to deter some people (again reducing numbers)

I think the difficulty for the organisers is that unlike a permanent venue that has fences, walls and controlled access points then anyone with local knowledge (or an OS map) should be able to gain access to the stage area through 'non-official' routes. Admittedly it doesn't help when you have the experience of no one checking the tickets anyway, mind you it was like that at the GP this year when no one ever checked that we had the requisite on-site parking pass.

One thing to remember though is that if you're thinking of 'going your own way'next year then a couple of stages border MOD live firing ranges, so what may seem an easy route may turn out to be something far more eventful shall we say.......
Old 26 Nov 2001, 10:48 (Ref:178936)   #3
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy -

Not sure which stages you were at but at:

Resolfen & Brechfa - Saturday
Rheola - Sunday

Got asked for tickets on entry to car parks at all stages.

Things have been slacker in terms of asking for tickets to be shown in previous years but was much more organised this year.
Old 26 Nov 2001, 20:30 (Ref:179101)   #4
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We went on Saturday and went to Margra and Brecha. In the queue for Brecha it said tickets were being checked but we never had ours checked.

Oh well I'm still gonna buy tickets for next year. Hooked on Rolly big style now!

AndyR