Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

View Poll Results: Does Steven Kane Deserve the Mclaren Autosport BRDC Young driver of they year?
Yes 21 61.76%
No 13 38.24%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Dec 2001, 01:50 (Ref:181485)   #1
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steven Kane - Someone having a Laff

So the Mclaren Autosnort BRDC Young driver of the year is Steven Kane...

Do me a favour - 2 Championships over a 5 year career doesn't cut the mustard...

Especially when you look at who else was nominated.

The smart money had to be on Kerr or Gilmore or even Carl Breeze maybe!

So what happens next year does the Formula Zip winner get the award. Or does it go to Young Master Hamilton by default.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 10:17 (Ref:181544)   #2
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if the judges judged him to be the best........who are we to argue!
Old 3 Dec 2001, 11:10 (Ref:181559)   #3
farcnield

I think they havegot it just right,

Kerr how long has he been about so has Gilmore, Mr Kane has show truelly dominant style this year!

I think Mr Kane will go far in the future!

Farc.

Old 3 Dec 2001, 11:23 (Ref:181563)   #4
rlinter
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by farcnield

Kerr how long has he been about so has Gilmore, Mr Kane has show truelly dominant style this year!

Farc.
I would agree with you had they gone for a 16/17 year old in a junior championship like Jnr FF however Kane has been around a while and spectactularly unimpressive.

Let face it Kane is 21 and still racing Jr FF - Given the fact that people like Jean Todt etc are saying that F1 is a 'Young Mans sport' surely a 16/17 year old or someone that one something significant is much more deserving.

Mark my words it will be Lewis Hamilton next year!

Last edited by rlinter; 3 Dec 2001 at 11:24.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 11:44 (Ref:181567)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Surely the judges that made the decision are far better qualified than any of us to see the young mans talents?
Old 3 Dec 2001, 11:58 (Ref:181574)   #6
rlinter
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Surely the judges that made the decision are far better qualified than any of us to see the young mans talents?
Maybe, Maybe not. Let face it Motorsport is full of hidden agendas and blind eye turning at all levels. And given that the Judges never release any of the times from the 'practical' part of the evaluation we will never know.

This whole process is questionable as it is held COMPLETELY behind closed doors.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 12:01 (Ref:181578)   #7
alexgeorge
Rookie

alexgeorge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Politics prevail (again)

rlinter you and I are in agreement. Personally I am of the belief robbie should have won. But wasting his time for the third time is disgraceful. Anyone who knows Robbies history will also know that he has always been up the front despite struggling for budget every year.
I can safely bet that if Autosport had the gut's to publish the times for all the tests. We see the true winner.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 12:05 (Ref:181581)   #8
rlinter
Racer

Re: Politics prevail (again)

Quote:
Originally posted by alexgeorge
I can safely bet that if Autosport had the gut's to publish the times for all the tests. We see the true winner.
Don't get me started on the whole AutoSnort thing... on a Personal Level I would have loved to see Robbie win and if not him then Gilmore.

It was interesting to watch the amount of head shaking going on around the Kerr camp after the annoucement..

I would be interest to know what a nominated driver thinks - Simon have you had your gag removed yet.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 12:09 (Ref:181583)   #9
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would hope that once the candidates are selected, then their performance on the day is what counts, and I trust this is the criteria the judges used. I've only seen Kaqne race once (at Combe last year), but he impressed me then with his maturity and racecraft, so for me he's a worthy winner.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 12:15 (Ref:181587)   #10
alexgeorge
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by farcnield

Farc.
Correct me if I'm wrong but to use your comparison Mr Kane and Mr Kerr are, I believe, the same age and have both been racing car's for 5 years surely the fact that you believe Kerr has been around longer proves he's made more of an impact. Kane won the junior FF this season but conversely lost the winter series despite driving a new works van diemem.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 12:21 (Ref:181589)   #11
rlinter
Racer

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but to use your comparison Mr Kane and Mr Kerr are, I believe, the same age and have both been racing car's for 5 years surely the fact that you believe Kerr has been around longer proves he's made more of an impact. Kane won the junior FF this season but conversely lost the winter series despite driving a new works van diemem.
No Correction needed -look at the comparison

Kerr - TKM Karts, Formula First, Formula Renault Star Cup, British F3 Scholarship Class

Kane - Irish Karts, Jr Formula Ford..

Both guys are close enough in age as not to make any difference an yet Kerr has won 4 champs in 5 years and Kane has won 2, neither of which are comparable.

I understand from various and disperate sources that Kerr was significantly faster at silverstone in all 3 cars than Kane.

So what gives?
Old 3 Dec 2001, 12:23 (Ref:181590)   #12
alexgeorge
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Marshal
I would hope that once the candidates are selected, then their performance on the day is what counts, and I trust this is the criteria the judges used. I've only seen Kaqne race once (at Combe last year), but he impressed me then with his maturity and racecraft, so for me he's a worthy winner.
Being a marshall I'm very surprise at your blind faith. I owe my lack of injuries to in part to marshalls so don't take this wrong but open your eye's I happen to know that on previous awards count has been taken on the candidates ability to raise a good budget in order to carry the awards name and therefore credence further, leaving the other (faster/better?)drivers with nothing more than a handshake.
Knowing full well if they were to speak out they would be black balled by the "establishment" or at the very least dubbed bad loser's.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 12:32 (Ref:181592)   #13
alexgeorge
Rookie

I understand from various and disperate sources that Kerr was significantly faster at silverstone in all 3 cars than Kane.

So what gives?

And the rest of them I believe, but what's done is done. Obviously you know similar people to myself. And have a similar view on the way in which drivers are treated in this country. So how was the dinner I'd have loved to have gone, do you still have a sore head?
Old 3 Dec 2001, 12:41 (Ref:181593)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
What we need are insites from Mr Pullen and Sid the Manager on the results of the award.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 13:04 (Ref:181603)   #15
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OH Don't get me started.

Steven Who?

Oh well, now they've made Robbie angry.

Who want's to donate £10 to Robbies championship?
Old 3 Dec 2001, 13:15 (Ref:181610)   #16
alexgeorge
Rookie

Sid put me down for £20 They say don't get mad get even.
I think this season Robbies maturity is starting to match his skill,
and B4 anyone say's it that is a compliment.
What do you think of A.D.R? I hope they can work together and silence the ill advised critics.

Last edited by alexgeorge; 3 Dec 2001 at 13:15.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 13:21 (Ref:181616)   #17
Sid The Manager
Racer

Ta Alex

A certain Mr Brundle said last night to Robbie that ADR have a championship in them, a pumped up Robbie should be the person to make it happen.

Lets wait and see eh?

By the way, food was lovely, clear head this morning, Mrs Sid didn't spend all our money in the West End, and Robbie still managed to party until 4.30 this morning!
Old 3 Dec 2001, 13:40 (Ref:181623)   #18
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been unhappy with the BRDC for some time now since I found they were not fulfilling their promises to certain british drivers. I hate all this, so if there's any way I can help, let me know Sid.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 13:45 (Ref:181625)   #19
Sid The Manager
Racer

Well, to be fair Robbie is still getting his prize money from the BRDC, so he certainly can't complain about that one.

The best way we all could help would be to help find some money so he has a decent budget for the year, and keep on talking publically supporting him.

cheques and cash to "Robbie Kerrs budget, c/o Alan Docking Racing"?

Most people are on good terms with at least a couple of companies, ask them to look at getting involved with Robbie for 2002.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 13:48 (Ref:181628)   #20
alexgeorge
Rookie

Party booking final round of brit f3

Quote:
Originally posted by Sid The Manager
Ta Alex

A certain Mr Brundle said last night to Robbie that ADR have a championship in them, a pumped up Robbie should be the person to make it happen.

Lets wait and see eh?

By the way, food was lovely, clear head this morning, Mrs Sid didn't spend all our money in the West End, and Robbie still managed to party until 4.30 this morning!
Sid glad to know you enjoyed yourselves GIT'S!
I have a feeling we may meet next year! Take care
Old 3 Dec 2001, 14:13 (Ref:181640)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Sid,

I really do hope Robbie finds the budget. Please pass our best wishes to him.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 16:20 (Ref:181695)   #22
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Steven Kane - Someone having a Laff

What about Breeze? HE thought he'd 'done a Kimi' this year!...Well I think we all know who is 'destined' to win it next year!
Old 3 Dec 2001, 16:48 (Ref:181709)   #23
shocker
Rookie

shocker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Thanks for telling me to visit this site
- a very interesting read -- at least i know
there is someone else who knows less than
me about motorsport - see you soon sid
Old 3 Dec 2001, 17:11 (Ref:181725)   #24
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Being a marshall I'm very surprise at your blind faith. I owe my lack of injuries to in part to marshalls so don't take this wrong but open your eye's I happen to know that on previous awards count has been taken on the candidates ability to raise a good budget in order to carry the awards name and therefore credence further, leaving the other (faster/better?)drivers with nothing more than a handshake.
Knowing full well if they were to speak out they would be black balled by the "establishment" or at the very least dubbed bad loser's.
Alex, welcome to 10-10ths

As you point out, the whole process is somewhat secretive, so if you don't get to talk to those involved, you can only go on the info in the press. If you notice my comments are also prefaced with the phrase "I'd hope".....

Some of the decisions have supprised me over the years, sometimes I think they've got the right man - but how can we know, unless we are privvy to all the information.

One thing I've learn't here is that everyone on the inside has an angle, and if you don't know who the person is, then its tricky to establish their angle I make my opinions about drivers by what I've seen of them on the track, whetether this is skewed by huge budget (which you can usually spot) or bent machinery (which if half of what people say on here is true, is absolutely everywhere) then my opinion will be distorted by that. I'm not naive enough to believe racing is (or ever was) fair, but I do think that by and large, the cream rises to the top.

PS Hi Shocker, welcome to 10-10ths, hope you enjoy it here

Last edited by Marshal; 3 Dec 2001 at 17:13.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 17:53 (Ref:181744)   #25
Simon Pullan
Racer

Simon Pullan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clear head!?! I think not.

Steven well and truly deserved that, he's a good lad and quick to boot. All this c**p about who was fastest means nothing. What Steven showed was a willingness to learn and huge potential. Robbie should have been quickest. He's had 4 years of slicks and wings. 4 YEARS! Steven had none. I expected that Carl would win and everyone was surprised when it was Steven. Robbie was obviously gutted and I didn't really see Carl around. Matt put on a brave face and Danny was his normal cheery self. And what's this about just a handshake. I'm sitting here typing this with a new watch worth god knows how much. If Robbie is really struggling for money he's got 3, why doesn't he sell them. Sid, why didn't you come and say hello last night? We could have worked out that it was Steven using Rennen's plan.

Oh, and one more thing. The last ones standing were, in no particular order: Peter Dumbreck, Gareth Howell, Tom Ferrier, Adam Carroll, and myself. The barman in the Chesterfield finally called last orders at 7:00 this morning.