Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 20 Jan 2002, 17:35 (Ref:201740)   #1
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Max Payne: First Impressions

So there I was on saturday, in town and with a '£10 off any PS2 game voucher', burning a hole in my pocket. I'd heard various accounts of Max Payne but it never really appealed, I'm not a particular action film fan and not a massive fan of out and out shooters, but with the expiry date looming I thought I'd give it a shot.

I have been disappointed, this is another must own game for the PS2! The game looks incredible, just check out this shot:

But it plays even better. The key is a great feature called bullet time. It allows you to slow down the action whilst keeping the aiming in real time. This means its possible to leap through the air avioding bullets and pumbling lead into the enemy all at the same time. It feels like you're directing your very own action movie where you're the star. The cutscenes intertwine with the action perfectly to create a trully gripping story. This game is like a great book that you just can't put down.

The controls are intuative and well balanced with everything at your fingertips, this allows you to enjoy the game without having to worry too much about what button does what.

The only negative I can see so far is that it is, as many reviews I have said, going to be a little short. From about 6 hours of play so far I'm already 1/3 of the way through the game. This doesn't matter though because while it lasts it will be fantastic.

If you are a PS2 owner get this game, your collection will be naked without it .

Last edited by Damon; 20 Jan 2002 at 17:38.
Old 21 Jan 2002, 23:44 (Ref:202474)   #2
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks pretty decent but I have NOOOOOO money *sob* this term... You realise I can't actually afford Metal Gear Solid 2?!?! (But I'm still going to buy it...)
Old 22 Jan 2002, 15:24 (Ref:202722)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think you can put "can't afford" and "Metal Gear Solid 2" in the same sentance, it doesn't make sense!!

Make sure you get Max Payne when you can afford it though MF, its superb, I've nearly finished actually, as I write I am taking a break before doing the final level . It's so damned addictive.