Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Feb 2002, 16:09 (Ref:209650)   #1
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bad driving

what's the worst piece of driving you've seen in a sportscar race?
Old 3 Feb 2002, 23:42 (Ref:209897)   #2
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm still livid that I invested so much time and money in the 2001 Sebring, only for Kristensen to ruin a potential thriller with a pit lane speeding penalty. It was a pitiful race with few decent cars, and after tolerating all that heat and all those stinking drunks, it was really disappionting to see it ruined by poor judgment.

But there has been much worse driving than that. The incident I mentioned is merely the one than made me the most furious. I probably won't go back for the race this year. They could have just stayed quiet about it and let the race play itself out so at least the fans would get something for their money. What was Joest going to protest his own car? Was it going to make any difference to the first non-Audi which was 45 laps behind?

But they hosed the fans. They could have kicked Kristensen in the groin or something after the race, but instead they ripped off the fans. No wonder NASCAR is kicking everyone's butt if that is the best show the ALMS is capable of.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 00:00 (Ref:209906)   #3
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the ALMS was 'For the Fans'. ?
Old 4 Feb 2002, 01:16 (Ref:209931)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have never seen anything like this at an ALMS race -- and I guess, Dr. Austin, you ought to be posting in the NASCAR forum if you are that disgusted with all other forms of racing, eh?

Probably the worst piece of driving I have seen lately would be one I saw only on the new "That's Incredible" advertisement for Speed Channel, which highlights the 17 car smashfest that Brand X Racing put on at Atlanta. But if you are looking for individual bad racing in sports cars, I'd say almost any race in which Gunnar Racing took part.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 01:28 (Ref:209938)   #5
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I have never seen anything like this at an ALMS race -- and I guess, Dr. Austin, you ought to be posting in the NASCAR forum if you are that disgusted with all other forms of racing, eh?

Eh, I think Austin is entitled to post what the worst driving in a sportscar race is , as the thread was started in the Sportcar forum , DUH!!!

The amount of times that umprofessional , wealthy pay drivers who lap at 30 secs per lap slower than the race leaders, who get in the way and do bone head manouvers, they deserve a mention too

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

Probably the worst piece of driving I have seen lately would be one I saw only on the new "That's Incredible" advertisement for Speed Channel, which highlights the 17 car smashfest that Brand X Racing put on at Atlanta.
Thank God, no one was killed in that deal! If someone loses control, the other guys have nowhere to go!
F1 suffered a similar deal at Spa in 1998, though not at quite high speed,
Old 4 Feb 2002, 01:50 (Ref:209953)   #6
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my personal nomination, would be witnessing Uwe Alzen take David Brabham's Panoz GTR out of the lead of the '98 FIA GT round at Silverstone. I was livid! His reputation for bad drving is still with him to this day, and Brabham still drives for Panoz
Old 4 Feb 2002, 02:06 (Ref:209958)   #7
The Beer Baron
Veteran

didn't someone get punted off at laguna 2000 in the ALMS , leading BMW or Audi ?
Old 4 Feb 2002, 02:54 (Ref:209971)   #8
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Austin
No wonder NASCAR is kicking everyone's butt if that is the best show the ALMS is capable of.
Actually Mosport in 2000, LMP's down to the wire and GTS down to the wire was exactly what the ALMS is capable of.
As for worst drivers, everybody is capable of a bad drive, but to tell the truth if I had the cash I would definitly pay for a seat and nominate myself for worst drive. Smiling all the way of course.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 03:36 (Ref:209981)   #9
Dr. Austin
Veteran

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Liz

"I have never seen anything like this at an ALMS race --"

I guess you didn't watch the 2001 Sebring 12 hours. Kristensen got a penalty in the final half hour that killed any chance of an exciting finish. Not only do you not watch the IRL, you must not pay attention when you are watching the sportscar races.

"and I guess, Dr. Austin, you ought to be posting in the NASCAR forum if you are that disgusted with all other forms of racing, eh?"

Actually, I'm getting pretty disgusted with you. I never said I was disgusted with all other forms of racing but that didn't stop you from twisting my post to make it mean whatever you want. I love all racing, but you have been called out in a national on-line magazine for your hated of the IRL. I posted the link before, but it was conviently edited out.

The sportscar forum is full of nice people, Liz. Isn't trolling for a hostile response on the Indycar forum satisfying enough for you?
Old 4 Feb 2002, 11:54 (Ref:210035)   #10
Blue2
Rookie

Blue2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now now, we've all had a coffee. Lets all play nicely.

On a lighter note I thought I'd share with you the STUPIDEST piece of sportscar driving I've seen. It was at Castle Combe, and followed a rather fat, rather old gentleman losing the back on a medium speed right-hander.

Him losing the back end and spinning deep into the grass was understandable. You've gotta push, right?

Him ending up pointing the wrong way on the grass was forgiveable. Controlling a spin on grass is not easy, right?

What we did think a little STUPID was the dog's dinner he made on spinning the car back the right way.

Revving high before dropping the clutch, he lurched into a wheelspinning frenzy, firing mud and sods of grass high into the air behind his car. Gaining purchase on the slippery grass, he then lurched forward, then steered hard right to turn 180 degrees to point the car back at the track. Straightening up he drives back towards the track, slowing as he reaches the edge of the road for a suitable break in the traffic. All OK, if a little over the top, so far. As the traffic subsides, he revved higher still, threw the clutch, and attemted to spin the car onto the track lengthways, unfortunately getting rather more traction on the road surface than he had done on the grass and therefore launching straight across the track, and spinning towards an embankment behind which the trackside marshalls hide. Fortunately, the trackside marshalls were not at all suprised to see his car drifting quickly towards their hide, and scampered, before his pride and joy thumped into the embankment, necessitating the later arrival of the tow truck. This car would not be racing again for some time. The crowd were almost ing themselves with laughter before the old gent exited his car to demonstrate that he was unharmed, so upon him doing so the crowd arupted in giggling applause and cheers. The fact that he relished the attention and waved appreciatively back to the euphoric crowd left me in no suprise to notice the design of the star spangled banner across his helmet. God Bless Americans. Especially this crazy fool, he needs all the help he can get.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 13:27 (Ref:210118)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Now then everyone, this thread is about the worst piece of driving in a sportscar race, not the worst bit of baiting in a 10/10ths thread! (And that includes baiting our American friends, Blue!! )
Old 4 Feb 2002, 16:01 (Ref:210176)   #12
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by The Beer Baron
didn't someone get punted off at laguna 2000 in the ALMS , leading BMW or Audi ?
Yes, someone spun Lammers down into the pitlane. I never got to see a good replay of what happened, and no one complained, so it must have been just a good old "racin' deal." But it does show how fierce the competition is.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 16:23 (Ref:210192)   #13
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Austin, I was thinking of an incident just after the corkscrew .

Petit LeMans 1999, the leader stuffs it in the gravel with a few laps to go Such drama

Last edited by The Beer Baron; 4 Feb 2002 at 16:24.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 17:11 (Ref:210221)   #14
Dr. Austin
Veteran

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Beer Baron

"Petit LeMans 1999, the leader stuffs it in the gravel with a few laps to go "

I saw Kenny Brack the very next day at a MoKart charity event we were both competing ing in. Mueller, you will remember, won the F-3000 championship by turning into Kenny on the straight at the final race. Mueller only succeeded in crashing himself, but the FIA sawy fit to DQ Kenny's title winning performance and install Mueller as champion, a gross miscarrige of justice in many's eyes.

I say to Kenny "I'll bet you got a good laugh out of Mueller sitting in the gravel last night." Kenny smiles. "What's that American expression about going around and coming around?" Wise words from the reigning Indy 500 champion.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 17:15 (Ref:210224)   #15
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Mueller did he learn that trick from 'The Chin'

Bad Driving: Jerez 1997 !
Old 4 Feb 2002, 17:18 (Ref:210227)   #16
Dr. Austin
Veteran

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Beer Baron
[B]Mueller did he learn that trick from 'The Chin' "

Do you mean "old spoonface?"

"Bad Driving: Jerez 1997 !"

Deliberate, but instinctual.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 17:42 (Ref:210249)   #17
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Austin, I take it you don't like Jorg Mueller either
Old 4 Feb 2002, 17:55 (Ref:210258)   #18
Dr. Austin
Veteran

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Beer Baron

"Austin, I take it you don't like Jorg Mueller either "

I really can't make a fair judgment since I didn't see video of the Hockenheim accident I was mentioning, but the race report I read was pretty critical of Mueller. I wasn't really making a judgment on the guy, but it seemed like something funny to say to Brack. He seemed to get a pretty good laugh out of it.

But Mueller sure took it on the chin that day in Atlanta. And very publicly, too.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 17:58 (Ref:210261)   #19
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Its one thing to throw away a race when you are the sole driver, but with two other team mates ..........

OK I won't beat up on Mueller.

Well I have to say is look where Kenny and Jorg are today...
Old 4 Feb 2002, 18:03 (Ref:210263)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, the worst finish to a sports car race had to be Jorg Mueller at Road Atlanta ... I am amazed that JJ still speaks to him, much less teams with him!

Everybody has lapses of judgment though; even TGF nearly went to sleep during his sleepwalking-to-the-finish USGP 2 years ago. I don't think you ought to qualify it as "bad driving" unless they are incapable of doing any better.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 18:04 (Ref:210265)   #21
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by The Beer Baron .

Well I have to say is look where Kenny and Jorg are today... [/B]
Which is why it was so funny to approach Brack like I did. He was only two or three months down the road from winning the Indy 500 and Mueller was alone, sulking from the bottom step of the podium because his teammates were so p*ssed off that they wouldn't go up there with him.

Going around and coming around, Kenny is a pretty sharp guy.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 18:13 (Ref:210276)   #22
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Yes, the worst finish to a sports car race had to be Jorg Mueller at Road Atlanta ... I am amazed that JJ still speaks to him, much less teams with him!

Liz,Liz,Liz there IS such a thing called 'Forgive & Forget' , though your bitterness is so bitter you wouldn't understand!
Old 4 Feb 2002, 18:20 (Ref:210281)   #23
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Quote:

Liz,Liz,Liz there IS such a thing called 'Forgive & Forget' , though your bitterness is so bitter you wouldn't understand!
KAAAAAAAAAAAA-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!! The Baron is the most insightful guy on the internet. Next time, less C-4 and more magnesium. The magnesium gives the burn a little more sparkle. Ouch!
Old 4 Feb 2002, 18:22 (Ref:210284)   #24
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Magnesium,

That would create the most spectacular, most colourful , MOST BRILLIANT ENEMA
Old 4 Feb 2002, 18:34 (Ref:210294)   #25
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Quote:
Magnesium,

That would create the most spectacular, most colourful , MOST BRILLIANT ENEMA

OH, just stop it! You are killing me! roflmao!

JJ is professional enough to know that drivers can make mistakes, especially at night, after a long and hard race, with the car suffering from old, tire brakes. Jorg just muffed the kick, that's all. Sad, but it happens all the time to even better drivers than Jorg and JJ.

Besides, JJ knows that the next time he makes a mistake, he is going to want an understanding and forgiving team. If JJ didn't want Jorg as a co-driver, he certainly has enough clout to insist on, and get, another one.

JJ knows that people who are unwilling to forgive are not entitled to forgiveness themselves.