Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Mar 2002, 01:08 (Ref:242073)   #1
clk-lm
Rookie

clk-lm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
has mclaren had enough of ilmor(mercedes)

three years in a row ilmor has not produced a competitive engine for mclaren. i know that mercedes owns a chunk of mclaren and is plenty happy feeding ilmor with a healthy budget. but with BMW raising the bar, is it time for mercedes to bring there engine production under the roof in germany, or has mclaren had it with the mercedes name. i think that we can say that newey and co. have done their homework in the chassis and aero department and the car is more than capable, but will ron bring out the axe in the engine dept. any guess?????
Old 23 Mar 2002, 01:20 (Ref:242076)   #2
rollhoop
Rookie

rollhoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have to be getting close to pretty much cleaning house at McLaren. DC can go. What has he done for Ron lately? Mercedes should bring the engine program in house. I think Penske is too worried about the a55-whipping that CART is going to put on his IRL boys in May at Indy to be overly concerned with the needs of McLaren. I would love to see some things different there next year. Starting with the removal of DC from a perfectly good race seat!!!
Old 23 Mar 2002, 02:31 (Ref:242102)   #3
Lazarus
Rookie

Lazarus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, i've had enough of DC now... he's had plenty of seasons with a good car underneath him but hasn't produced the goods...don't get me wrong, he's still a decent driver but I think heildfeld has earned a shot at that seat.
Old 23 Mar 2002, 02:56 (Ref:242111)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Considering Mercedes have a share in the McLaren team, the relationship between McLaren and Mercedes is still very healthy despite the recent lack of form from both parties. It would cost a bundle for either to leave the contract.

However, perhaps it is time for Mercedes to cut the Ilmor strings and build the engines themselves. Ilmor have done a great job for Mercedes in the past, but it appears since the tragic loss of Morgan, and also the fact BMW build theirs in-house and it's an absolute brute of an engine, it's time Mercedes took the workload from Ilmor.

And why not? They have a great record in all forms of motorsport and they have the financing and resources capable of performing the task.