Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Apr 2002, 14:02 (Ref:261135)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
alesi to test for mclaren (again!)

according to todays autosport.com, retired f1 fave jean alesi s going to test for mclaren again (after his earlier one off test at the beginning of the year) in an attempt to help the struggling woking team in an effort to improve the car!

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.cfm?id=18608&series=5

wonder why mika hasn't been called upon though?.......or maybe he has and isn't interested?
Old 15 Apr 2002, 14:20 (Ref:261156)   #2
f1truestory
Racer

f1truestory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
mika can't give a **** cos Mclaren is **** !!,
i think he will consider if ferrari is the one that called him up
Old 16 Apr 2002, 00:40 (Ref:261622)   #3
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone else noticed how Mclaren's performance has started to suck since Wurz became their tester?!

Alesi is no better when it comes to development - but it would be fun to see him in action again.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 00:57 (Ref:261638)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with Mania-Alesi is no tester-but Mania, old boy, there are myriad reasons why McLAREN are slipping and it has alot more to do with Illmor than any other reason. Alex Wurz is a fast and methodical tester-probably the best one out there. its not his fault that the bellyrium liner and pistons were banned by the FIA or that Paul morgan's plane crashed last year, or that Hakkinen lost the plot, or that Newey nearly jumped ship.

The only reason to put Alesi in the car is to see whether it really is as slow as it seems and how the Mercedes lump compars to the Ferrari and Honda he raced last season.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 01:27 (Ref:261661)   #5
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True - Wurz may not have single handedly taken Mclaren down the drain - DC has contributed his fair share as well

Seriously though - You`re correct that Mclaren have had a lot of problems - especially the death of Morgan. But it doesent look as if Haug and Dennis seem to be worried - did you check out the look on Ron's face as he pointed out his office and Haug's office right opposite one another. That was probably one of the few times Ive seen Ron smile. It isent a pretty sight, trust me - but it was rather - Deep .
Old 16 Apr 2002, 09:41 (Ref:261856)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I am sure there are a whole heap of reasons why the McLaren isn't on top of the pile at the moment, Paul Morgan being one factor. You have to remember that all teams go through the 'rise and fall' scenario. McLaren are no newcomers to that problem nor are Williams or Ferarri. It takes time to get back to the top especially as the differences these days between the top 4 teams is so small. Personally I think they need to get a new young charger to replace David. I don't have anything against David as a person but think he always was and always will be a good No2 driver. What McLaren needs now is two No1 drivers!
Old 16 Apr 2002, 14:15 (Ref:262155)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
I don't have anything against David as a person but think he always was and always will be a good No2 driver. What McLaren needs now is two No1 drivers!
i couldn't agree more stephen, mclaren haven't really had 2 no 1 drivers since jerez '97 and mikas first victory! now that mika's having a year off are mclaren saying that david isn't up to the job of developing a car and they need alesi's guidence?
Old 16 Apr 2002, 15:09 (Ref:262209)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Your words not mine