Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 May 2002, 17:14 (Ref:282730)   #1
crashtom
Rookie

crashtom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari 156 Sharknose 1961 Monza

Guys,
Thanks so much on my last post, especially Simon and David as well as Neil. Simon, the page you refered me to shows Phil Hill at Monza in 1961 in his Sharknose but you can see the shine of a alluminum radiator cover over his radiator.
Can anyone tell me if they used a cover at that race in the middle of summer in Italy? It seems to me that they would need as much airflow as possible. You can see the shine of the cover in the nose. Possibility of a half cover maybe?

Thanks again for your help,
Tom Mecozzi
Old 11 May 2002, 20:16 (Ref:282823)   #2
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Tom,

Just checked the 2 photo's of car no 2 and they are not the same car !

The left hand photo has a duct just forward of the engine, the driver is wearing a helmet with a visor, the black part of the helmet also seems higher. The one on the right seems to have no duct and the driver is wearing goggles. Maybe one is practice ? If so make the rad is covered for a single lap flyer.
The duct might have fallen off during the race, did Hill change crash hats as well ?

Simon
Old 11 May 2002, 20:57 (Ref:282846)   #3
Roger Clark
Rookie

Roger Clark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It rained during Friday practice, so it is probable that the left hand photo was taken then. Race day was very hot, so it is unlikely that they would have blanked off the radiator. The cars usuually ran with engine side panels in place. The duct above the radiator was new for this race too. I the right hand photo, the top half of the radiator is in shadow, perhaps it is this that gives the impression that the lower half os covered.

Last edited by Roger Clark; 11 May 2002 at 21:03.
Old 14 May 2002, 16:47 (Ref:286451)   #4
crashtom
Rookie

crashtom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys,
Thankyou so much once again for the info. This is really the hardest part about these paintings. I am finding that even my reference books can be innacurate and unfortunatly sometimes the drivers can hardly remember the race.

Tom Mecozzi