Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2002, 09:40 (Ref:298279)   #1
Baby Spice
Racer

Baby Spice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to meet the drivers?

I have a question to those regular race-goer, I'd been to f1 race once and found that spectators are very far away from the drivers, but still suprised by so many people I met over internet said they had met those drivers. Can anyone please kindly tell me how to do that, how to get into the paddock or have a pitland visit? I would like to meet my favourite driver too Or could you please share your experience of meeting the drivers with me, wether pleasant or not. I would like to hear.Thank you very much.
Old 28 May 2002, 10:15 (Ref:298298)   #2
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Baby Spice, send driver a photo of yourself and a letter of introduction via the team they drive for.
Seal envelope with a big, lipsticky kiss
Old 28 May 2002, 10:25 (Ref:298304)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
well played aj

but seriously? go down to testing, and be really nice to the huge blokes that won't let you go over the pedestrian footbridge. and be nice quietly too. works every time...
Old 28 May 2002, 10:41 (Ref:298313)   #4
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does it work for us blokes too?

I've got 2 autographs from the current F1 lot. Barrichello I met in the pit lane at an F3 race a few years back when he was driving for Jordan.

Olivier Panis I met at the Formula Ford Festival at Brands last year!

Got within about 3m of Montoya at Rockingham too, no autograpgh though

My Aunt however has got pretty much the lot from the 80's. Senna, de Angelis, Piquet, Mansell, Prost, Tambay, Nannini, Johannsson, Laffite and loads more!

She used to use the "bella" trick back when she was younger! Theres a couple of good stories too.

But times have changed and I think it would be hard to do that now, unless I became a woman of course
Old 28 May 2002, 10:41 (Ref:298315)   #5
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely there's some sort of ticket option that gives you access to the pitlane?
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 28 May 2002, 11:00 (Ref:298333)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
no. unless you join a fan club, i know jordan allow access to the paddock on a few test days a year. you get 'invited'.
Old 28 May 2002, 11:22 (Ref:298356)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have a 38DD I.Q. and wear a very short skirt and a thong, you'll probably get to meet Eddie Irvine.

Williams has a limited number of factory visit tickets for about $15,000 Canadian, in which you can meet the drivers. However, I met Montoya and got his autograph when he was in Champ Cars, and I have no desire to meet Ralf, at least not at that price!

The only way to meet Jacques is by accident. He nearly ran over some of my friends once at Monza. We saw him at Silverstone testing last year but he would not turn around. I have an excellent photo of his bald spot.
Old 28 May 2002, 12:32 (Ref:298405)   #8
MickyHelm
Rookie

MickyHelm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say that joining a fan club is the best way to meet the drivers. I am a memeber of David's supporters club. As a result I met him at an organised Karting event on the Thursday before the British GP.

Testing days are also another good way, but you need access to the pits and paddock to get really close.

I went to the San Marino Grand Prix, and I would say that grand prixs are not really an oppurtunity to meet drivers , unless you are lucky enough to get a pit pass, which has to be difficult for the average fan to do.
Old 28 May 2002, 12:48 (Ref:298414)   #9
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

f1grandprixshop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think you can stay and watch at the pit if you have invitation from one of their sponsors i.e. MOBIL, SHELL, etc.

7650-wallpaper Yahoo! Groups - F1 Wallpapers for your Nokia phones
Old 28 May 2002, 13:21 (Ref:298434)   #10
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go to the Goodwood Festival of Speed in July, loads of the big names go up there and it's far more open than any of the races. That's where I've got most of my autographs from.
Old 28 May 2002, 13:44 (Ref:298455)   #11
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As ever, it's who you know that counts.

Old 28 May 2002, 20:05 (Ref:298768)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho

Got within about 3m of Montoya at Rockingham too, no autograpgh though

tip.......get ya missus to try for you, worked for me last year at silverstone gp weekend, i got my autograph and she got crushed ribs from the masses of female admirers wanting his autograph too!
Old 28 May 2002, 20:09 (Ref:298770)   #13
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
She knew the risk when she bought the ticket !

good plan that , i like it .

I got very close to JPM at rockingham too , took some good pics ...., i also nearly got to have a pee next to Paul Tracy as he came out of the pits toilets just as i was going in before the race start . !
Old 28 May 2002, 20:19 (Ref:298782)   #14
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Yeah CART at rockingham was amazing!!

It was really cool, went into Gugelmins mobile hut thing after the race, and there was Scott Dixon, so I got his one too!!
Old 28 May 2002, 20:20 (Ref:298783)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
a mate of mine tends to find that if he hangs around the toilets of Snetterton long enough, he'll usually come across an up and coming driver eager to sign an autograph!
Old 28 May 2002, 20:24 (Ref:298787)   #16
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whose autographs did he get then whilst hanging around the snett toilets ????
Old 28 May 2002, 20:29 (Ref:298794)   #17
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is often who you know that gets you in (and, in my case, rather a lot of sneakyness - is that a word?).

Join supporters clubs: but be warned - many of them charge a horrible amount of money to attend a test session with a paddock pass (hello McLaren!) so be sure you really want to go).

Get a job where you will meet drivers - like I did! My job is nothing to do with motor racing but my workplace is right in the middle of racing driver/team owner heaven for me! I managed Damon Hill, Sir Frank Williams and Adrian Reynard in 45 minutes one lunchtime! I just look out of the window and I can see which drivers/team owners are present. I never go and see them though.

Get to know the right people. This is what I did. And make sure that they trust you. I have been very lucky in that I've gained the trust of some very important people and this has opened more doors. It doesn't happen overnight though.
Old 28 May 2002, 20:35 (Ref:298804)   #18
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suzy ,

so you dont need to hang around toilets at Snetterton like Mr V's friend then ..i think i prefer your option.
Old 28 May 2002, 20:38 (Ref:298809)   #19
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Suzy
It is often who you know that gets you in (and, in my case, rather a lot of sneakyness - is that a word?).

Actually thats very true, its how I got into the CART event, its also how my Aunt got some of her F1 autographs too (I think). I know she knew some people but I think she got them in other ways too!
Old 28 May 2002, 20:38 (Ref:298810)   #20
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taka Sato and Ant Davidson were both in the f3 paddockduring the fia gt weekend at stone.
Old 28 May 2002, 20:43 (Ref:298815)   #21
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:

Yeah CART at rockingham was amazing!!

Yes , it was amazing wasnt it ,
i got to talk to Paul Newman in the pit lane !..PAUL NEWMAN !!! i couldnt believe it ..although he wouldnt sign any autographs , but what a lovely bloke . He had time to say a couple of words or so , and didnt even try to give people the brush off.
Old 28 May 2002, 20:45 (Ref:298822)   #22
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
If you have a 38DD I.Q. and wear a very short skirt and a thong, you'll probably get to meet Eddie Irvine.
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is great!!!!Just what I think about him!

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

The only way to meet Jacques is by accident. He nearly ran over some of my friends once at Monza. We saw him at Silverstone testing last year but he would not turn around. I have an excellent photo of his bald spot.
That's not true.My friend has met him a couple of times...maybe you weren't lucky....
Old 28 May 2002, 20:46 (Ref:298823)   #23
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Why wouldn't he do autographs?

MEANIE!!!!!
Old 28 May 2002, 20:47 (Ref:298824)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Hardt

My friend has met him a couple of times...maybe you weren't lucky....
maybe she has a 38 DD I.Q also
Old 28 May 2002, 20:52 (Ref:298835)   #25
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Why wouldn't he do autographs?

Paul , i think he suffers with shakey hands now, he is quite a old man now i suppose , he seemed quite genuine that he couldnt sign things but still had the time to talk , but what a true gent he was.