Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 29 May 2002, 13:25 (Ref:299480)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Combe in June

Stoopidly busy month..

I'll be there this Monday and also the Saturdya of the Powertour weekend (maybe the Sunday if I don't get an entry at Gurston).

Anybody else present to watch ferraris and alfas?? Not sure what else is there..
Old 29 May 2002, 14:09 (Ref:299514)   #2
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferraris, Alfas x2, Auto Italia, Fiats and Ford Fiestas, as well as the three Combe Championships.

I am not sure if the Ford Saloons will be there or not, as they are usually on the same program as the Fiestas?

Should be there for my first visit to Combe this season.
Old 29 May 2002, 19:00 (Ref:299730)   #3
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would not miss the Formula Fords, it's gonna be a cracker. ex champ Kevin Mills will be back racing after a few years break and he aint gonna enjoy Mr Rivett winning!! Worth going to Combe just for this race.
Old 29 May 2002, 22:15 (Ref:299896)   #4
NotLordPercy
Racer

NotLordPercy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the 'MST' website provides full details already of the 9 races on Monday. There are indeed Ford Saloons as well as Fiestas and 2 Alfa races. We salivate already at the thought of 38 Formula fords in Quarry......

Dig those Probans out Dan + your 'special' incident gloves! Time we saw you in tandem with Mr Dee and Mr 'N' Clark.

See everyone there before 8am.
Old 30 May 2002, 07:23 (Ref:300089)   #5
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So we're at Quarry then??

No Dee I'm afriad.. Silverstone...
Old 30 May 2002, 12:04 (Ref:300297)   #6
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Andy,

Good to hear you're making the trip.. suppose it'll take a couple of hours from Portsmouth. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 3 Jun 2002, 20:03 (Ref:303746)   #7
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well.....

Got there late, and then it started raining!! The conditions played havoc with the latter qualifying sessions and a number of the races, esp Ferrari and Combe GT - with tyre choice critical.

Bob Light cruised the GT race, with Gary Prebble edging out the Saloon race. Not sure who was classified the winner of the F Fords, but 10/10ths member Matt Rivett was leading for much of it before tangling with Kevin Mills on the run up to Bobbies. Matt was understanderably unhappy, with most of the front end missing off the car!

Alfa Romeos put on their usual show, with most of the drivers seemingly oblivious to the marshall flags - yes that yellow/red strippy one might mean the track is a little slippery!!!!

The Fiestas were a bit dull, while the Ford Saloons saw a walkover by Graham Wait. Five seconds faster than anyone in qualifying, and was over 6 second ahead by the end of the first lap. Held back after that, but there was a great batte for 2nd->10th.

Unfortunatley, Tim Watson ended his race upside down on the spectator side of the barriers on the approach to Tower, after rolling and vaulting the barriers, knocking down part of the fence and a comentary speaker. Fortunately no injuries.
Old 3 Jun 2002, 20:25 (Ref:303790)   #8
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy,
To say I was unhappy is a bit of an understatement, however what has suprised me and pleased me beyond all expectations is that I was offered help from other teams to put my car back together again (I have exams this week and the next race is next saturday) those teams being Sema Racing (Alex Ames who had a very sizeable shunt at Quarry but thankfully is ok) and Andrew Jones. Niether want any money and both understand what Kevin Mills and his Win at all costs attitude has meant to the racing! While most are doing it to have fun some seem to do it for revenge which I find hard to comprehend. But I should be out at the next race keeping my head high and not sinking to some peoples level!

Matt

http://www.matthewrivett.co.uk
Old 3 Jun 2002, 20:27 (Ref:303795)   #9
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sory using my dads computer that was me (Alias: Mattray)
Matt
Old 3 Jun 2002, 21:39 (Ref:303856)   #10
AndyF
Veteran

Matt,

It was a shame that the race had to end in that fashion, as it had been thrilling to watch until that point. His move up the inside was a bit over-ambitious, but I think he could have left you more room on the exit, (although I think there was oil on the track at that point, dropped by one of the class B cars). Although the accident looked quite dramatic, it could have been a lot worse, and Kevin's car was driven away afterwards. Had it not been for that 'tyre barrier' at the entrance to Bobbies you would have probably got away without so much damage. Should have some photos, which I will post on here when they are developed.

Beats me why that tyre wall is there!? Can't see anyone cutting the corner that much, and if they did, the DSO stationed at Bobbies would have seen them! They also block the drivers view of the corner, and to any accident ahead! Glad to see you were OK after the shunt, especially with the tyres bouncing off the top off the car like that. Also glad to know that Alex was OK - sounded quite a big shunt. Good luck for next weekend - keep us posted.
Old 3 Jun 2002, 21:42 (Ref:303859)   #11
AndyF
Veteran

Some of the FFord driving left a bit to be desired at some points (not yours of course! ). Most of the drivers barely slowed down to go past your stranded car, while one of them blatently overtook on the grass on the inside of Bobbbies with the Yellows out! Although the Pagid saloons did manage to knock over all the bollards within a lap !

Also, good to see Howard Strawford wandering around the spectator areas during the afternoon. Not often you see the boss doing something like that in Motorsport.

Last edited by AndyF; 3 Jun 2002 at 21:44.
Old 3 Jun 2002, 21:57 (Ref:303868)   #12
Jeff
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bristol, England
Jeff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good racing on a whole but was unhappy to see you taken out in that way Matt, I hope you and Richard are both OK and good luck to you both in getting the cars back together for this weekends race at Combe.

If I cannot get the photos out in the post to you before I go away, I'll do it straight away when I get back.

As you can tell by the attached photo in the next reply Tim Watson had a pretty spectacular crash, thankfully the area is rarely occupied by spectators.

Jeff
www.autoimages.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails
cc030602_ccff_mrivett.jpg  
Old 3 Jun 2002, 22:01 (Ref:303870)   #13
Jeff
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bristol, England
Jeff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim Watson @ Castle Combe today ( Mon 3rd )

Jeff
www.autoimages.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails
cc030602_watson.jpg  
Old 4 Jun 2002, 08:58 (Ref:304152)   #14
mattray
Veteran

mattray has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thanks Jeff! bloody hell I forgot how big those tyres are! I had my eyes closed at the time I guess. Apparently it takes a JCB to move them normally! I asked the clerk why they put them there to make it more for people to hit, and he said it was a reaction to the zetecs last year, cutting right accross the grass. and then he said it was an MSA requirement. Anyone know anything about this requirement?

It seems to me they are there in an effort to stop people cutting the grass but from a FF1600 point of view we cant do that because we would be going to fast by the second apex to get around it so they are useless! I am just thankful they didnt hit my head! Why not just have an observer there and use the same system as they used to at Brands through Paddock all 4 wheels over the white line and all that?!

Andy, he definitly could have left me more room at the end of the day even if I was next to him going in to Bobbies where could I go? I would have had to follow him through, personally even if I am not sure where the person is I leave a cars width between me and the grass incase we touch and have a shunt, its then up to the other person to sort out what ever moment they have while they are there! I could have tapped him on the shoulder while he was coming over if I hadent had to have so much right lock on to stop him coming over any further! So he definitly knew I was there my head would have been right in his mirror!

so now I have worn out my exlamation mark key I will leave it at that

Matt

http://www.matthewrivett.co.uk
Old 4 Jun 2002, 11:38 (Ref:304324)   #15
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Thought it was a decent enough day... some hefty shunts where we were at the startline. Including Richard misters who hit the tyre wall hard. FF1600 looked more hairy than usual, but don't ask me why.

Fiesta driver (and spectators) were extremely lucky. Seems the roof caved in and only saved by the strength of his roll cage.

Hope everyone has fun next weekend.
Old 5 Jun 2002, 09:10 (Ref:305084)   #16
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
Thanks to all the people who help me recover my car and offered to help with the repairs. It was a bit hairy hitting the tyres that hard but am thankful that I only have a very sore neck and shoulders. Shame about the car but it could of been a lot worse . Would like to know who was dumping oil though, if it was obvious why wasnt that person called in? seemed to cause a lot a damage to alot of cars. Must of been a good race for the spectator though!!
Old 5 Jun 2002, 11:23 (Ref:305160)   #17
N M Ramsden
Rookie

Wales
Portskewett, Monmouthshire
N M Ramsden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard, what about the driver that says you punted him off at Camp on the lap before your shunt.. He looked pretty shaken up ! he missed the pit lane entrance barrier by less than two feet !!

All I remember was you to being side by side on the run into camp then him spearing off towards the pit lane. I was rapidly running up track of the incident as I thought he was seriously going to pile into the pit lane.

Matt, some serious door slamming at Camp... I think you had the better of Mr Mills wouldn't you say.

I didn't see any obvious oil going down at Camp or any particularly smokey cars but there was some serious damage.

Hopefully Mr Mills won't be around to perform his usual antics on Saturday !
Old 5 Jun 2002, 11:47 (Ref:305182)   #18
AndyF
Veteran

I remember a green car leaving oil on the track, when it was running in the top dozen or so - can't remember which No. though!
Old 5 Jun 2002, 16:18 (Ref:305404)   #19
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
N M Ramsden, yeah he was pretty upset but weve discussed it and hold no grudges, which I think is what club racing is all about. Its just ashame that some people take this really too seriously that spoils it for the rest.
Old 5 Jun 2002, 17:24 (Ref:305457)   #20
mattray
Veteran

mattray has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
NM ramsden
Door slamming by me? I dont think I defended once into camp I was able to brake late enough to not allow him next to me there. I seem to turn a lot earlier then anyone else so maybe it looks like I am.

I dont know if he will be up to his antics on Saturday but if he finishes in front of his paying driver it seems a little odd to take points away from him. Ah well we shall see.

Matt
Old 5 Jun 2002, 19:22 (Ref:305561)   #21
AndyF
Veteran

Matt, if you pull off another qualifying lap like last weekend, then you're laughing!
Old 6 Jun 2002, 07:32 (Ref:306037)   #22
tigered
Rookie

tigered should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like everyone needs to calm down a bit at Combe at the moment!
Old 6 Jun 2002, 08:27 (Ref:306081)   #23
N M Ramsden
Rookie

Wales
Richard, that's cool.. Heat of the moment he was pretty evil. Is he ok ? I'm glad you got everything sorted with him.

Matt, Thinking about it you were turning in earlier and cutting across Mill's but you were leading after all... On three consecutive laps there were inches between you it was great.. I love seeing the young guns stuffing it up the old timers !!! Perhaps Mills should join the 'old' GT crowd !!!

Combe has the best Club FF racing in the country and there haven't been that many shunts this year. It's good to see that after an incident the two drivers get together and sort things out..... Even on the side of the circuit Matt !!
Old 6 Jun 2002, 08:40 (Ref:306093)   #24
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
N M Ramsden, yeap he was really pumped, but ive been the same myself in that situation as have we all!!! I'm actually now pretty looking forward to watching the race on saturday and seeing the race from outside the car. Thinking about it there havent been many shunts, I think Monday made up for the season so far! But I do agree with Tigered, There are some people who need to calm down otherwise there will be people leaving the championship. I already know of 3 from last year who dont "enjoy" Combe anymore due to the OVER competitive nature of some.
Old 6 Jun 2002, 11:25 (Ref:306233)   #25
N M Ramsden
Rookie

Wales
Richard, when you watch on saturday you'll be frightened...

How extensive is the damage ? You hit pretty hard ! Why haven't they put the belting on that bit of the track ? Would that have helped any and stopped you 'diggin' in ?